Houzz Logo Print
sharmila_fernando

Help! I think I bought the wrong bathroom tiles

Sharmila Fernando
6 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm building a new house and I have just discovered the tiles I have selected for both guest bathroom and ensuite are a complete disaster.

Is there anythingI can do to fix this.

I am hoping to add a light colour feature tile to bothe bathrooms to get the elegant look and also planning to have all wall to be tiled up to the ceiling once the builder hand over the house.

Any ideas how I fix this?

Thanks all for your responses.

Guest bathroom

Ensuite

Comments (51)

• Sharmila Fernando
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Thanks for the reply Yes I thought the tile I selected was a light colour tile. it seems the builderhas srewed up with the tiling code and nothing can be done.

here is what I thought it should be with tiling

• Sharmila Fernando
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Do you have any idea that how I can make it more

elegant?

• Related Discussions

Need help regarding bathroom tiling! Pebble tiles?

Q

Comments (7)
    I have installed pebble tiles in several showersPros - very elegant, gives a sense of space as pebbles are different so no long defining linesCons - difficult to clean, must determine at outset if you want the stones deep in grout (you see lots more grout but the surface is smoother) or not so deep (you see less grout, but the surface is bumpier).Some people recommend epoxy grout, I don't for the simple reason it is much harder to get the grouting even with pebbles than tiles so more time needs to be taken.
    ...See More

Need help choosing a tile for downstairs bathroom

Q

Comments (3)
    Modern rustic: 12x24" porcelain tile made to resemble a wide piece of distressed wood. Not an overtly obvious wood grain, more of an implied grain that you only see after studying it for a minute. Rectified and small grout joint. (Form follows function in design- easy to live with is always first!) option B: a vein cut travertine patterned 12x24 in brown or gray tones. Set in a soldier corse, straight stack pattern, so it's not about the grout joints, it's more about the linear pattern of the tile.
    ...See More

Help! i need an upgrade of my bathroom!

Q

Comments (5)
    The tiles are not offensive..most people are choosing white with white anyway. Given the items you want to keep I would simply replace the bench top, add a new wider longer mirror, that fills the space where you currently have the tiles and if you are using laminate it can only be an above mount sink. If you are doing stone or timber then you can have an undercount sink. I would possibly consider taking off all the wall tiles and find a more natural tile to work with your floors and then add a lick of paint to freshen it all.
    ...See More

Help me decide on my bathroom tile

Q

Comments (27)
    Hi creativelychallenged, I'm pretty sure all the tiles are faux-marble from Beaumont Tiles. I've used them in bathrooms and they are cost-effective (from $40sqm un-laid) and look beautiful. Marble and now faux-marble is a classic look so not prone to dating. You may have noticed its recent popularity due to the faux-marble now available as the average homeowner may not have the budget for real marble. People worry about decor 'dating' - think about what you love, what will make you happy to live with - decor doesn't last forever because our own tastes change and decor can suffer from wear and tear. Choose what you LOVE and you can't go wrong :-)
    ...See More
  • hifiandmtb
    6 years ago
    If it's the builder's mistake, they should fix it!
  • LesleyH
    6 years ago
    Twice I thought I had chosen the wrong tile. Each time the tiler said wait until it has grout before replacing it. Loved the tiles once the mid grey grout differentiated each tile. This would be my suggestion. The tiles in your inspiration photo show this.
    Sharmila Fernando thanked LesleyH
  • Sharmila Fernando
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Lesley I guess that is what I have to do

• scottevie
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If they have made a mistake then you need to get them to fix it. As far as I know, pulling tiles off will affect the waterproofing, plus issue of shower screen etc. you do not want to be paying to correct all of that yourself in a brand new bathroom. Lesley makes a good point though about tiles looking different when grouted. To me, the tile and vanity combination doesn't look quite right. The builder might be happier with offering you an alternative vanity colour to correct the error rather than face re-tiling.

• User
    6 years ago

Agreed ^^

A vanity with a darker timber veneer doors will fix it I think (those doors would just pop off, I wonder if the supplier will let you try darker toned doors?). Black tapware would help too.

Saying all this- if it's the builders error and you are really unhappy, have him fix it, inclusive of waterproof membrane. AND if this is the first disagreement you've had with him this far in....you've done well! Do it before grouting though.

• macyjean
    6 years ago

"I thought the tile I selected was a light colour tile. it seems the builderhas srewed up with the tiling code and nothing can be done.

here is what I thought it should be with tiling"

Are you saying the builder installed different tiles to what was specified? Because in your original post you said

"I just discovered the tile I have selected for both guest bathroom and ensuite are a complete disaster."

Are they the tiles you chose but they do not look as expected or are they different tiles? Do you have the name of the tile?

Sharmila Fernando thanked macyjean
  • girlguides
    6 years ago
    Agreed with above 1) use lighter grout than tile not grey but not white & 2) get builder to pay for new vanity doors or potentially could you just put a laminate panel under vanity ??? cos where the look clashes is the vanity doors right up against the tile colour
    Sharmila Fernando thanked girlguides
  • Sharmila Fernando
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks all for your comments

@ macymacmaples

Well it is part of my fault too. I know I selected beige coluur tile to go with the vanity at the gallery. I didn't know that the colour consultant put the wrong coding on the selection paper that I have signed. So builder can niw easily get away with this as I have no proof to prove that I selected the different tile. I guess colour consultant might have easily made this error as both tilehave similar coding.

It just my bad luck.

• Sharmila Fernando
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I was thinking to have a designer tile 200 x600 beige colour around the vanity on both bathrooms and bathtub. Leaving floor and shower as it is.

Do you think it will resolve my issue.

Below is the tile I am thinking to match with.

• macyjean
    6 years ago

The tile didn't have a name but only a code number? That could make oversights more likely I think.

I agree with the suggestion that a darker vanity would suit the tiles better. I don't know if changing some of the tiles would work, especially as you already have a feature strip in the shower, I think it might look too 'busy'.

• Crissy
    6 years ago
    here is a photo for you to see, i don't think it looks horrible, but i do agree with others to go for a light colored grout
  • Crissy
    6 years ago
    another pic
  • Crissy
    6 years ago
    another pic
  • Crissy
    6 years ago
    another pic
  • Crissy
    6 years ago
    another pic
    Sharmila Fernando thanked Crissy
  • Julie Walton
    6 years ago
    I agree with what Mel N has advised! Good advice.
  • Melinda C
    6 years ago
    Was the colour consultant based at the tile store? It may not be possible to make a claim because the tiles have been laid, but it could be worth following up with the store?

I had a vanity delivered recently from a large company & it was not as ordered (had handles when I didn't want them basically). They were very obliging and fixed it quickly.

All the suggestions above sound great & you never know, you could end up being happier with this tile in the end.

Good luck.
    Sharmila Fernando thanked Melinda C
  • Wendy LovesPets
    6 years ago

I think the light grout will help and maybe change doors as others have suggested. Can't blame the builder if the wrong code was written by the consultant. In any event, it's not awful and will normalise over time ie you will get used to it. In 6 months you'll look back in your beautiful new home and wonder what the stress was about.

Sharmila Fernando thanked Wendy LovesPets
  • Amanda Campbell
    6 years ago

I have a few suggestions for you.

Definitely a very light grout like the photos others have shown. Make sure it's a white base, not cream as cream will give an old dated look

For guest bathroom- replace tiles on the front of the bath with white tiles and vertical strip of the feature tiles you have in the shower but place it near the opposite end to the vanity. Then look at going straight over the tiles on the vanity kicker with white aswell. Use a extra large mirror that goes across the bath area aswell to break the look. Your timber look vanities are lovely, the colour just need breaking up. Once you have some silver tap wear and shower screen along with light grout, the room will be very different. oh and don't forget you will have towel colours to break it or you could add a nice indoor hanging green plant

You still have plenty of options, don't let it drag you down, your new home will be amazing

Happy to to give advice with the other room too if you are interested in my type of style. Best of luck.

Sharmila Fernando thanked Amanda Campbell
  • Kelly Shorten
    6 years ago
    Just embrace it! I'd change the doors to be a darker brown and adding even more layers of chocolate, late and mushrooms to make it a lovely warm neutral space. Very spa- esque!
    Sharmila Fernando thanked Kelly Shorten
  • KK1000
    6 years ago
    I don't mind the tiles it's the fact that there's gaps everywhere why not continuos tiling across the whole wall? Didn't you want tiles all the way up. Anyway to brighten it up I would try to get same tiles in white and tile all the way up and fill in the gaps , that way you would have sort of a pattern and reflection from the white tiles that would help fix the problem.
    Sharmila Fernando thanked KK1000
  • KK1000
    6 years ago
    PS and change the doors on the vanity to white.
    Sharmila Fernando thanked KK1000
  • LesleyH
    6 years ago
    Contrast grout first, add some fluffy towels as contrast, stand back and see what you think. I'm sure it will all come together as planned. Add an inexpensive solar tube skylight to keep the bathroom bathed in light all day. This will lighten the bathroom no end.
  • PRO
    Julz In2Design
    6 years ago

This is not a disaster, however, it will be a deviation for the original design. You have one factor in this colour scheme, and that is the dark strip in the shower.

1: Change the handles on the vanity to a dark matte metal, this will break up the two not quite same colours already there. It will also highlight the vanity which is getting lots.

One thing to remember, is that images we use to get ideas from have artificial lights for the photography, that are normally not there. This and the reprinting of the image will change the colour dramatically. I have this issue all the time when completing model renders.

2: Continue the tile you have all the way around to at least the height you have around the vanity.

In the ensuite, you could continue all the way as it is a bigger space, with more natural light, in the quest bathroom I would stop at the height you are.

3: a lighter shade of the tile you have, change texture. Take your tile in and see if it can be matched to a sandstone, but not too light, the dark colour is a luxe colour.

To change from texture and colour, I would look at a strip tile, if you want luxe, I'd look at a dark brassy metallic tile if you can find it. Not too thick, about 20mm - 4omm (max), For a more dramatic look, still go for a strip tile that will match the dark strip in the shower, but don't use mosaics.

4: Use big mirrors, make sure it lines up with the tile edges, this will lighten the overall look of the tiles as it reflects the light. In the guest bathroom this will help greatly.

you can go with just a mirror, or frame it, do so in the same style as the strip if you use that idea, but keep the frame minimal and simple, the mirror should compliment not dominate in this design.

5: If you haven't selected the tapeware, go dark matte or gold finish (dull not shiny). Avoid too much shiny tap ware as the tiles are bold, large and shiny, don't add to it.

6: When done, style the spaces, especially the guest bathroom with vey light beige towels and floor mats, this will tone down the colours.

Hope this helps!

Sharmila Fernando thanked Julz In2Design
  • Dan
    6 years ago

I think wait for the grout before deciding it is bad. The think the real issue is that most bathroom designs tend to choose a floor tile that contrasts with the wall tile rather than matches it. I don't think it will end up looking that bad after grouting. If it does I would leave the floor brown and get contrasting wall tiles - that will save you a bit of $.

Kind of like this

Sharmila Fernando thanked Dan
  • me me
    6 years ago
    I don't think that you will be able to tile to the ceiling as the tiles won't line up. Once its grouted I would look at a paint colour that complements the tile colour. Or even a waterproof wallpaper (if there is such a thing) that will give you the glam factor that you are looking for.
    Sharmila Fernando thanked me me
  • PRO
    Julz In2Design
    6 years ago

Tiling to the ceiling has both been a style in the past, and is currently one of the biggest trends on bathrooms and kitchens. It actually lifte the space.

Sharmila Fernando thanked Julz In2Design
  • Dounia
    6 years ago

Sorry you are not 100% happy with your tiles. This happened with us too, things look different sometimes once delivered. I think you need to save your money on more important features in other areas of your home. I'm sure it isn't your forever home and if it is you can always renovate in 5 years :). Give it a chance, use white/light grout, wait till the screens and taps and mirror and hand rails are in and it is all clean and shiny and you will love it. Good luck.

Sharmila Fernando thanked Dounia
  • PRO
    Detente Design
    6 years ago

I agree with you. The tiles are a terrible colour that make the space look like a cave. You're staring down the barrel of living with a room you hate going into. Nah uh! A compromise might be to leave the brown tiles on the floor but you'll have to compensate with an even lighter tone on the walls. Changing the vanity doors to a solid light colour will help. Light grout is a must now to offset the dark tile. Get rid of the dark mosaic strip. It just makes it worse.

Good luck!

Sharmila Fernando thanked Detente Design
  • Michelle K
    6 years ago

I don't think it is that bad, but understand your disappointment and annoyance. Maybe fill in the white spaces between vanity/shower/tub with your current feature tile, change vanity to darker timber look with matt gold handles. Same with taps etc. Can check if you can exchange vanity, or sell online (gumtree, eBay). Paint walls in warm light brown, add a mirror with a textured frame (earthy colours with matte gold). If you change vanity try a cream or warm tan top. Keep white basin to tie in with bath. Skylights/tubes are great in bathrooms.

Sharmila Fernando thanked Michelle K
  • Creativelychallenged
    6 years ago

Gosh...in all of the info above, there is some great advice and creative ideas to make the bathroom beautiful. The white grout does look great on the walls in the photos above.

Sharmila Fernando thanked Creativelychallenged
  • sebird
    6 years ago

The only problem is that the vanity doesn't go with the tiles. Otherwise it is a great look. Either change the vanity doors or whole vanity for a plain white one for contrast or very dark brown/black and you will have a great look.

Sharmila Fernando thanked sebird
  • christine Hartley
    6 years ago
    I think white grout and mirror the kick boards under the basins..An elegant frame around the mirrors...big white fluffy towels...
    Sharmila Fernando thanked christine Hartley
  • Dora Fedorovsky
    6 years ago

don't be critical. it is a good choice. use the grout that will not stand out too much in grey tones though not in beige. Tapware! will change everything, use black matt. matching towel rails also in black matt. shower glass must be frameless. no chrome or steel. concentrate on quality workmanship rather then color. put a natural pot plant in bathrooms when you done with reno.

Sharmila Fernando thanked Dora Fedorovsky
  • craig_de
    6 years ago

I have to agree, light gout and get rid of the vanity.

Sharmila Fernando thanked craig_de
  • Dora Fedorovsky
    6 years ago

vanity 's fine. mirror is rectangular have to be in line with tiles. or go round as the width of your vanity. love your tiles and install nice p.points, not the builder's range.

• Dora Fedorovsky
    6 years ago

a frameless mirror is a must for a contemporary look

• Karen McLeod
    6 years ago

It's a shame about the mix up. I also agree with the lighter grout.

The biggest problem, that I can see is the the grouting is not going to be a continuous line. The shower is definitely different to the vanity & bath.

That would drive me crazy!!

I'd also tile to the ceiling & would probably replace the wall tiles for the same tile, but lighter.

• LesleyH
    6 years ago
    As above. Can you pull out the tiles above the vanity and put in a feature tile or timber so the bath and shower are not connected in any way. This should do the trick. Tiles below look nice.
  • Sharmila Fernando
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes I thought putting a feature tile around the vanity. Then tile upto the ceiling as well as putting a big mirror up to bathtub for Guest Bathroom

Also thought to add a white fluffy rug and add some greens and ceiling pendant light closer to vanity.

Will definitely remove the vanity base and make it wall hung.

Hope this will fix it

Really appreciate everyone's ideas.

• PRO
    Jayne Air Interiors
    6 years ago

Sounds like a very stressful situation! If there is absolutely no way the builder will allow you to change things (even if they did, I imagine they would ask you to foot the entire bill of pulling the tiles down and replacing all water proofing in addition to new tiles), I can make a few suggestions for improvement.

Firstly I would suggest replacing the tiles above the vanity with a white mosaic, a patterned or a textured feature tile/strip. You could also use this same tile to replace the vertical feature in the shower. There are some beautiful shapes and sizes available to choose from.

Secondly I would address the grout situation in this way: Floor - dark colour grout & Walls - Light colour grout.

Lastly if it does not prove too difficult or expensive, maybe replace the tiles below the vanity with a plain white tile (could be similar size).

Good luck and I am sure once you have a lovely mirror up and some crisp white towels, it will look just wonderful.

Sharmila Fernando thanked Jayne Air Interiors
  • kjaramillo9662
    5 years ago

It's beautiful but if its not for u I'm a firm believer grout can make a huge difference. The white will give it a whole other vibe.

Good luck

• Sarah Sarah
    5 years ago
    Replace vanity to white(or doors/panels), replace feature tile to a more white looking tiles not the dark black/greys it is making the room even darker. Good luck
  • cloudpants
    5 years ago
    This post is a year old. Sharmila, what did you end up doing?
  • Jo Flanagan
    5 years ago
    I agree with another comment
    Darker vanity doors to pulls in tile accent from shower
    Lighter grey grout
    Larger vanity mirrors and black fittings etc
    Should look great

Try the suggestion by holding black / darker brown paper up on vanity cupboards
    You could just paint them with the right prep
    Good luck
  • gwyn5
    5 years ago

No disaster here, very gorgeous in fact. Finish the job and change nothing. Light grouting. A large circular mirror is my suggestion. Pls don't over do white accessories. Stay muted. Courage dear gal.

• colin mcdermott
    5 years ago

Yes what ended up happening?

I think the big contrast is the dark warm coloured tiles with the white/pink wall. My solution would be a repaint to a dark green or yellow in the Guest bathroom. The ensuite I have no idea.

Kind of curious. Why is the shower platform raised? In both pictures the shower looks slightly raised and in the Ensuite it appears to be stepped up? That makes no sense to me.