6 years ago
Renovation of the old homestead

Comments (26)

• Khanh Nguyen
    6 years ago

Nice job!

• annb1997
    6 years ago

What a difference a great big verandah makes. Must help cool the house as well.

• krc33
    6 years ago

Looks exciting. Are there any more photos to share?

• PRO
    Lachlan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I will have some more pictures in about a month, after the install of custom made double hung windows, solid timber flooring and skirting/architraves.
  • krc33
    6 years ago

Look forward to seeing the new photos!

• Dannie
    6 years ago

Beautiful stone, looking forward to updates.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

congratulations on a beautiful job and house

• wuff
    6 years ago
    Oh wow, good on you. I love seeing these type of restorations. Congratulations
  • crjchristinejames
    6 years ago

Yes, congratulations. What sort of timber are you using in the floors?

• PRO
    Lachlan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Cant wait to see it complete as well. the timber flooring is possibly Grand Oak flooring

• crjchristinejames
    6 years ago

The stone walls with brick framing for windows is very Cornish (as in Cornwall).

• PRO
    Traditional Stonecraft
    6 years ago

https://www.houzz.com.au/user/crjchristinejames
    I'm doing the stone restoration on the project. I'm interested that you have made a connection with Cornwall. Do you have any further information on that?
    Thanks,
    Richard.

• macyjean
    6 years ago

Beautiful. Looking forward to seeing more.

• jiminwalpole
    6 years ago

The Hillston Historical Society showed much interset in the Homestead and if they are still in existence may be a good source of reference material.The story at the time was that in the early days Chinese labour was used but I don't know if they worked at any building.The floor in the main hall was still in magnificent condition during the period that I mentioned in my previous post.

• PRO
    Lachlan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Awesome to hear that info from others.
    Unfortunately the Shearer's quarters are not being renovated.
    On the home we have installed 4 custom built double hung windows.
    Also have the flooring, doors, skirting and architraves to install
  • jiminwalpole
    6 years ago

Lachlan,thank you for your reply,is the old steam tractor down near the dam under or near the peppercorn tree as you drive up the hill to the Homestead ?

I must tell you that I enjoyed my visits to Coombie and over the years honed my bushcraft there.I am 62 yrs old in June and remember Coombie like yesterday.Is the old coke burning oven/stove still in the kitchen in newer part of the Homestead ?

• jiminwalpole
    6 years ago

Again are you useing thè old coke burning stove/

Range?Numerous Emu egg cake and biscuits were made on it

• PRO
    Lachlan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

1 year later, we came back to lay the Porters Paint timber flooring and Intrims 285mm skirting and 135mm architrave

• jiminwalpole
    4 years ago

Lachlan, you so much for keeping me informed your progress on the Homestead. I eager receive all information and photos your progress.

• jiminwalpole
    4 years ago

Lachlan, have you kept basement that under the main room or ballroom

• PRO
    Lachlan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

jimimwalpole, no unfortunately we had to fill that in because it had started to collapse

• jiminwalpole
    4 years ago

Lachlan the Homestead is coming up really well, congratulations. Will you be living there full time? I am from Griffith, perhaps we know some of the same people, have you lived there long? We moved to Western Australia 1988 but keep in contact with friends in Griffith on a regular basis, I still have family there. Good luck with the project. you purchase of Coombie Station.

• HU-680418956
    2 years ago

Amazing my grandad john houghton owned coombie from 1981 till early 2000’s remembered running around as kids playing hide and seek in the old homestead. grandad had an old generator in the old building. youve done a fantastic jon would love to come up and see it again one day. regards scott houghton

• HU-515919457
    last year

Hi i have just stumbled across your chat. My father lived on the Coombie station in his early childhood post 1940. I would love any history that you may have Sally

• HU-779519113
    6 months ago

My mother's uncle (Allan John Richard Siddins) managed Coombie Station for Mr Campbell around 1924 and later managed Box Creek Station for Campbell as well. I have access to a few photographs including the homestead from that time.