Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_7305547

Can I make this look any better?

User
10 years ago
I have an old home, and I dont want to pull up all the tiles.... i have painted the wooden door frames in the rest of the house white enamel and it looks fabulous. What could I do to these tiles/walls/doors/trim/grout to make the bathroom look spectacular!???? Dilemma!

Comments (35)

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I can't see a bathroom :)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    What design style do you like?
  • Related Discussions

How do I make this a better bathroom for a tween?

Q

Comments (6)
    If for a girl tween, maybe some hot pink and lime added to brighten it up, For a boy navy and lime or navy and bright yellow.
    ...See More

How to make an old vanity look better

Q

Comments (1)
    Trying to upload pic sorry
    ...See More

How can I make this large entrance look inviting?

Q

Comments (16)
    I think the table disappears. It is sideways in the far corner as you enter and the colour blends into the background. It's a nice table but it doesn't appear to be doing anything except trying not to be noticed. Does it serve any purpose? Is it a dropzone for keys and mail for instance? If you want to keep it in the hallway I agree with the advice to move it to the centre of the wall instead of in the corner. I also like the idea of a bold wall colour or a large bold artwork. Do you need anything else in the hallway, mirror, coat hooks, an umbrella stand?
    ...See More

How can I better use that wasted space at the top of our wardrobes?!

Q

Comments (9)
    i would invest in long term comfort and convenience and also raise the top shelf to create space for three levels of hanging space on one side, tall adjustable shelves or drawers with only enough space above the top shelf for suitcases and/or boxes of seasonal storage .. you need to design the space to suite the size and shape of what you need to store and a handyperson or carpenter could build in some of the diy wardrobe components like Multistore to help manage the space better or consider having a wardrobe company custom make the whole space to make life easier
    ...See More
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    We need more photos please.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry: here are some more.... It is a federation style home.... I like dark wood, very sophisticated look, not into modern at all :-( As you can see they have used a mash of colours - blue walls, different coloured tiles, and the trim and grout is in bad condition - need some ideas on how to revamp the look without ripping it all out.... Thanks in advance!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I would suggest removing the basboard tile around the walls, replace with stained baseboard, same as around doors. Hire a professional grout cleaning company. It;s too much work to do it yourself. Remove the tile on the side of the bath sink vanity. Choose a favorite color and repaint.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks LB any suggestions on the grout colour? And what wall Colour would you use to make the tiles look less ugly? Would you keep the vanity the same colour? Im sure something can be done instead of ripping the tiles off as I have seen designers on tv saying this blue is their favourite colour to work with!!!! lol
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    You can clean the grout to refresh the original color. You have to remove the grout to change the color, as far as I know. Any tile men out there that can clarify this grout issue?
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Grout can be stained if you are going darker.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I like the finish on the vanity. If this is a DIY for the vanity, spray paint will look the best. What are your favorite colors. Most important what is the 'feeling' that you want from this room? What are you thinking. Do you want it clean and fresh, open and spacious, cozy, spa like, beachy, zen, sophisticated, hotel like, or any other special idea?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Thanks Interiors International. Wasn't sure about changing grout color.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    If you clean the grout, you would need to add a grout sealer on it.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I always like a warm feeling - I like sophisticated look - you know - diamonds, silver, black... or maroon with gold, or navy and silver.... im not into zen or modern or beachy..... I would love to make it look flashy and elegant.... the other bathroom has checkered maroon and cream with gold fixtures...but unsure why the owners decided to use this cheap ugly blue tile in all the other bathrooms :-(( Cant figure out if there is something I can do to make the baby blue tile look elegant...I thought maybe there was a wall or vanity colour I could use to really draw the attention away from the floor! I heard of tile paint, but apparently you cant use this on floors, only walls!
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have all the cheicals and sealant for the grout, that is not an issue...I could make it white or black...we have pens that you just colour it with here in Australia :-)
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Edward, I have never used the grouting pens but I believe they are good. I think there is quite a range of colours in them too, maybe match it to the tiles.

My theory with something that seems wrong is to play up to it and make it work. I don't have any Federation colour charts at the moment but I know there are a good range of colours, check them out for something that will work with the blue and make it look good. If you have kept the Federation look through the rest of the house this will look too odd if you try to change it. I don't know how much money you want to invest at this time, but would you consider removing the wall tiles (very badly done anyway) and look for a Federation tile that brings the blue into it with navy. I'm pretty sure we are required to use tile skirtings here so timber is out.

I note the hall walls are painted in the same blue as the bathroom - are you keeping them blue - the bathroom does flow on from there. It isn't easy to find wallpaper these days, but a Federation Patterned wallpaper with touches of blue will give the room a real lift and paint the vanity and mirror frame in a glossy black.

If all else fails - look for a navy bathroom carpet, cover the tiles totally and start from there.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Actually navy for the vanity and mirror could look better.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    How about a bright lapis blue and bright teal ? Use these colors either on wall and accessories. The floor will have a purpose.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Metallic paint is a glitzy way to go.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Silver accents, mirrors and mercury glass.
    Mercury Glass Vases · More Info
    Blue Mercury Glass Pillar Candleholders · More Info
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I would add some black in small doses.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Looking at your questions, did you paint the door trim white? I suggest you paint all the wood trim, doors and baseboards white. You can also add picture frame moulding on all the doors. Something like this. It can be squares or rectangles or one large rectangle. It will give the doors dimension.
    JELD-WEN Bostonian White Left-Hand Solid-Core Door · More Info
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I like this one, just add lapis blue and black.
    Syosset Home - House Magazine Jan/Feb 2013 · More Info
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Lorraine, Federation style homes do not have white woodwork, but the timber is generally deeper and heavier that what appears to be in Edward's home, doors should be more ornate and skirtings wider so I don't know how much he wants to keep the Federation look.

Edward, I found this website with a lot of tiles done in Federation colours and your blue looks like it could comply. Unfortunately I couldn't download exact photos, but the blues were mostly done with coffee coloured browns and black. I'm thinking a new border in the blue/black/brown combination, walls painted cream or white and a large black/brown patt mat on the floor, you will reduce the impact of the blue while still maintaining Federation colours.

http://www.oldeenglishtiles.com.au/gallery/bathrooms
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    @ olldroo I think Edward said in the dilemma question that he "painted the wooden door frames in the rest of the house white". So what do you mean? so now what? some door frames white and some stained? Does Edward want it to be total Federation? as I see his preferences that he stated above.
    This is Federation Style
    Living Room - Federation Design · More Info
    Living Room ceiling · More Info
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    @olldroo. I believe Edward is stating that he doesn't want too much modern. He apparently likes some adornment, opulence and ornamentation of the period but wants it to be updated.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Lorraine, that is the thing he needs to sort out. Interestingly, in the photos there is no painted timber at all. This house has obviously been modernised or updated whether by Edward or a previous owner I don't know - certainly where this bathroom is concerned, by a previous owner and not very well done at all. At the moment it seems to be in a bit of a time warp.

We need to wait till Edward comes back, meanwhile at least we have given him plenty of options.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I believe he has now begun to move into this area to re-do these spaces. He will inform us.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry for the delay-- wow so much to take in - no I have not painted anything yet.... however in the downstairs I repainted all the wood in white enamel...it doesnt look federation really but I had no option - I really wanted mahogany trim, but the time and effort to sand it all back restain was just too impossible...so we opted for an all in one undercoat (even over varnish) and then a white enamel. I have changed all the doors to the type suggested and will continue that upstairs (i have all the doors and knobs already just have not painted anything yet).
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    bathroom carpet - wow there is an idea....didt even know it existed!
    Ill look into that option!
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks olldroo for that website Ill take a look, I believe they have or had a store in leicharddt sydney
    ill have a look around
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I do like opulence, but I also have to be budget conscious as I dont have unlimted funds :-(( I guess I just want to make the place look classy and not so old and drab, the exterior of the house is federation, the interior, well, is nothing now except baby blue, yellow, purple and pink! And the bathrooms, no the photo is the original - 20 years old and yes very very badly done, and ugly!
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    If you look at my other post (the downstairs curtain dilemma) you will see I have tried to update the same wooden doors and trim with white, used a wheat wall colour, and made a flocked wallpaper feature wall, with crystal LED light fittings.... i like mahogany furniture, mirrors, silver, old antique clocks, Im not modern at all...I like classy mahogany, black,silver, gold looks! With the bathroom the big dilemma is the actual tile colour - I have already got a wall and trim colour (the same as the downstairs area)... I could incorporate a different vanity colour to be striking and bold.... but the main concern is the actual tiles! They are so ugly to me....which is what prompted the question re how to detract attention from the tiles, or somehow make them look less ugly :-))
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Edward, if it works with the skirtings, you can tile directly over tiles and if the floor is in good condition it isn't that hard to do yourself. You can hire tile cutters and you may have to plane a little off the bottom of your doors. Check out places like Harvey Norman for nice quality tiles at reasonable prices too and if you can lay them yourself it won't cost you a lot. You sound a bit like me - champagne taste on a beer budget

I just checked your earlier post, and there seems to be nothing internally that remotely resembles Federation, is there. Even the windows look modern. This being the case, I think you can keep to classic white trims and your wheat coloured walls and use furniture and accessories to give the house the look you love. You have certainly done a good job downstairs. How did you go with the curtains BTW?
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have not decided on curtains at all yet... Im thinking I may get them made overseas and ship them.... or waiting for the local spotlight to have their twice yearly "buy the fabric and have curtains made for free" deal.

No the internal area is nothing like federation - the house is, the staircase is winding, and the ensuite is federation to a tee...but the rest of the house, god only kows what crossed their weird minds when they built and decorated! Bedroom purple, main living area yellow, lounge apricot, corridors and entry baby blue, spare room pink, rumpus dark grey...all very depressing lol! anyway bit by bit.... I could not really do the federation look because of the wood being too hard to stain, and not really wanting to put up friezes etc... but anyway, I like the downstairs, it is modern and light....but not ultra modern "bare" and cold looking.... I still love the traditional oil paintings, heavy dark coloured persian rugs, antique french clocks mahogany furniture etc...

Have looked into bathroom carpet...there is one place in canberra awaiting their reply... Are you talking about ceramic tiles over the others, or are you talking carpet tiles?? The floors are all in good condition....but laying on top would create a large step wouldnt it? Edward.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Didn't know anyone still did the free making on curtains anymore, but Spotlight do have a lot of sales on ready mades - it is just getting the size. Most of Spotlight's ready mades are thermal backed too, which could be practical for you, they do make a difference keeping the cold out, but I like to have a sheer behind as they do block out light. I liked the idea of a nice rich cream brocade and there is usually quite a bit of choice in that sort of thing. Loved your outlook too, looks lovely and peaceful.

I do like colour through my home but not that much and I weave 3 or 4 colours through the house to tie it all together. Maybe Bunnings had a sale of wrongly mixed colours :)) I think you have done a great job downstairs, you have created a simple backdrop to let your furniture and furnishings shine and set the mood.

No, I was talking ceramic tiles for the bathroom, I just had my bathrooms done and had the option of laying tiles over the existing tiles to save costs. I would only do it as a temporary solution, if you think you might redo the bathroom totally down the track, but I know others who have done it to save costs and the step hasn't been a bother, I guess it would depend on the tile you chose. I ended up with a bit of a step anyway because the tiles I chose were quite thick. Just trying to think of options for you. There are also outdoor carpets that might work, they used to be quite patterned, but if you like Persian, you might find something along those lines. Trying to think now where I have seen them. I'm wondering if Bunnings might have something.