Houzz Logo Print
crockercastle

What do you think of this floor plan for a new build?

Crocker Castle
6 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We've been lucky enough to to secure an empty block in an established suburb in a cool climate part of Australia. Now to put the perfect house on it! After much patience and advice from an expert, we have a draft 2D design. It'd be great to know your thoughts - including likes and dislikes.

Better to hear it before we build, so fire away! Thanks in advance.

Comments (103)

• Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Trying to keep up with you oklouise. Please don't think I'm ignoring you.

Sigh. Windows will be an undeniably large expense. We're choosing to look at double glazing, insulation and solar panels as an investment, rather than a cost. Pay-for-performance! Although we plan to wait until the very end of the build to get solar panels because the technology keeps improving and the costs keep coming down.

Great minds think alike. RBV is part of the design. The majority of walls will be covered on the outside with insulated panels and standard gyprock inside. However, the southern wall along the living/dining area is designed as RBV. It will hopefully soak up sun through the clerestory windows (our sun study shows that it will get some sun even on the winter solstice) and then radiate that heat. We are also considering putting a heating element in the wall, to boost the radiation on not-so-sunny days.

• Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Andy Pat and oklouise

Interestingly, I was keen to avoid direct entry. I think air lock was mentioned earlier. That was a factor. Also keen to avoid winds (which come from the west) howling down the hallway - because they will typically be hot and dry.

But it was also for safety reasons. There will be one long passageway looking straight down through the house all the way into the master bedroom. I'm not a big fan of any stranger at your front door being able to see right into your house.
    I acknowledge that people will be able to see a long way in once they clear the entry area and get past the cloakroom - but those are the people we choose to let in. (You'd think I live in a dangerous area. Not at all the case. That just comes from experience in the security industry).

• Related Discussions

What do you think of my floor plan for my new home?

Q

Comments (73)
    This floor plan has a single garage, with bedrooms grouped together at the front of the house, the Music Room has been moved to the rear away from the bedrooms as it would make too much noise for those sleeping. It can now be opened up to the family kitchen dining, courtyard and Alfresco and can be used as a play room(/ guest room) giving children great indoor out door play area in view of parents. There's a study with a similar view. A powder room closer to the rear of the house for easy access, The main bathroom is done Japanese style. The master suite has the WIR between the bed and the ensuite, no noise etc when in use to disturb anyone. I have made the passage way extra wide and more like a room which has a linen cupboard, you could certainly make this narrower and add to the bedrooms if you wished, This comes to 204.5 sq m. cheers
    ...See More

Floor-plan feedback/ideas needed -What do you think of this floor-plan

Q

Comments (51)
    siriuskey, Yes, the courtyard is open to the sky (no roof over it), I assume this is what you mean by double story. Ref. below photos, I would love to get this look, especially the first and last photo, where you can see family living space from the first floor. I can't achieve this in my plan as it eats a lot of floor space upstairs. The referred plan (photos) has a very big void combining staircase, hallway and dining area. I know it is not easy with cooling and heating when you have such a big void. So, I explored a few ideas (with my limited knowledge on this topic) before achieving the current floorplan. I have also thought about, in my current plan, extending the void on the staircase to the dining area (it is more like L shape) but i wasn't sure if that makes any difference. keen to hear your thoughts.
    ...See More

first time building - what do you think of our plans

Q

Comments (9)
    My first question would be where are you located? Cairns will have very different requirements to Tasmania, due to their different climates. While I agree with other posters, that flipping the plan will give you more light, the living areas will be similar in any case. Receiving N, E & S light. Flipping the plan will give additional bedrooms northern light, instead of the garage. But the main point is trying to get northern light into your living areas, & direct sunlight into those living areas in winter. This is difficult on such a narrow block. So my next question is what is to the north of your block? A neighbouring property I presume? If this is a two story property it will badly shade your living areas, no matter what you do. So what's the best way to get northern light (other than going up & building a two storey home, to get northern light into the top storey)? It's to build as close to the southern boundary as possible, so your northern windows are as far from your boundary as possible. This will reduce overshadowing from your northern neighbour. It looks like you have a zero lot boundary for your garage. How far is it from your meals area to the boundary, & how far is it from the kitchen to the boundary? If the plan is flipped, how far will it be from the family room to the boundary? What I'm getting at is, which orientation is less likely to have overshadowing of your northern neighbour of your living areas?
    ...See More

What do you think of my reno floor plans?

Q

Comments (8)
    as usual the real estate plans show inconsistent dimensions so first task is to manually check all measurements including precise location of all doors, windows, power points and plumbing and based on experience with investment properties my suggestion include space for a standard size lounge and wall hung TV, minimise demolition by only partly removing walls between kitchen and dining area and use standard sized cabinets, fixtures and fittings that are quick and easy to replace ie a standard upright stove and wall mounted microwave and good sized fridge space with pantry storage drawers in the island and optional extra matching cabinets along the back wall and install a sliding glass door and bigger deck with basic pergola for alfresco area (and does the deck need a fence?)
    ...See More
  • brizcs
    6 years ago
    That's so good!

With regard to the corner windows, i think it comes back to having a daytime north facing sunroom and garden view area particularly for a southern winter with low sun. I can see that you are keen to keep the main bedroom in its current location. I'd be tempted to make the bedroom alongside the garage into that sort of secondary living area. Add about 750 to its width. Perhaps putting the desk where the robe is etc and keep the sunny end clear for sitting.

I suppose it depends if you would see yourselves using a study by day (quite a a lot of glare in the outlook as currently placed?) or by night where outlook is not an issue. Mind you, if your desk is a hardworking area with decorative gas bills etc perhaps all that is better off in the lesser used third bedroom and keep the second one clear and a potentially more public space. Maybe even a double door into it to give a long diagonal view from kitchen to sunroom.

I felt not having full bench depth on one side of the pantry could allow the toilet to shimmy over giving you a 300mm deep shelving, cupboard or niche in your hallway to give you a small 'reward' between both ends of the hallway. This also avoids the Why do we have Three/No Tomato Paste Boxes Syndrome as found in deeper kitchen storage.

Any way of configuring so that you have either a window or something beautiful at both ends of the corridor view?

I love that you are building a Right Size house. So sensible.
    Cheers.
    Crocker Castle thanked brizcs
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

if there's a reason for your decision trying different ideas help confirm those choices but prefer the guest room door in the hallway

and, if you seriously think you want option for upstairs, the whole house would need to be altered and a staircase uses a lot of space upstairs and down...consider allowing extension space (4m?) on the east end of the master bedroom ensuite, with existing master wiw converted to extra living and/or bedroom and new master bedroom added to the eastern end..a simple skillion roofed addition in this area could add extra space with very little impact on the original house

Crocker Castle thanked oklouise
  • Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

More food for thought, thank you brizcs.

You've got it! Bedroom 2 is envisaged as a study (mostly after hours) and extra living area. To be equipped with a sofa (that can convert to bed), extra wide desk (so we have one each) and even a spare TV (I'm not up for a TV in the Master bedroom). Glare will likely be an issue. We're considering a window at desk height with a shelf above it. I drew inspiration from the below image. I wonder if the overhead shelf would cut back the glare...? Hmmmm.

I love the description "Why do we have Three/No Tomato Paste Boxes Syndrome". It sums it up perfectly! I totally agree about shelving depth.

The window at the end of the corridor was very tempting. If we leave the bedroom door open, that will happen. Then the onus will be on us to keep the bedroom and the eastern garden neat and tidy :-)

Thanks for acknowledging our efforts not to build a mcMansion. Ugggghhh. We'll end up with 160m2. Not all that small, but very determinedly not an oversized 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom with rumpus and triple garage. Think of all the cleaning! A lot of builders and designers kept trying to get us to increase - "for the re-sale value". They got a polite, but firm, no thanks.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi there Crocker, Sketchup is a bit more involved but worth while to learn, there's the Pro that you buy and the freebie. I also have Easy Blue Print which I bought on Special which is a lot less complicated and I have thought to learn to use that first and then graduate onto Goggle Sketchup. I have several friends in Interior design and they recommended Sketchup as a free use, they use other's depending on what they are working on. Hope you aren't getting too confused with us all throwing our ideas at you, I also like to have the entrance Mudroom being able to be closed off and only inviting those you want into your home. Love how you have made your master such an important space. You mentioned living in a Townhouse, what is the size of your living space, is it similar to the new house? cheers

Crocker Castle thanked siriuskey
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Some more thoughts for your kitchen Pantry Laundry, the pantry is so easy to access and you can see it all at a glance, other than that drawers everywhere.

The other three photos are of a reno that a Sydney interior designer did, making great use of the space like you by joining the kitchen/pantry/laundry with pocket doors to section off ceers

Tailored Interior · More Info

Tailored Spaces, Clever Layout · More Info

A contemporary shaker style kitchen · More Info

• oklouise
    6 years ago

obviously while thinking about HOUZZERS' dilemmas i'm avoiding any thought of my own "decorative gas bills" ... here's some easy expansion space if someone else needed it

• Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Happy Friday siriuskey

Awed and inspired, and feeling blessed, but not confused. :-)

Thanks for the feedback about SketchUp. It certainly seems to be the most popular. I'll persevere.

Our current townhouse is definitely smaller. So we feel lucky that anything we build will feel luxuriously large. But still keen, as I've mentioned, to avoid the mcMansion effect. Hence the name Crocker Castle. Our little chuckle at building something that many consider small, but will be huge for us. Especially that master bedroom. A total indulgence! Designed to fit a king bed and more wardrobe than you could ever want (not that I'm a shoe or handbag person). Totally over the top, to be honest.

Our designer was excellent. She really encouraged us to consider what we like and don't like about our current space and use that to inform our plan. And I'm lucky that hubby and I agree on the majority of matters and are both willing to let the practical win over the aesthetic (well, mostly...).

• PRO
    Wild Bear & Co Hervey Bay
    6 years ago

Happy Friday Castle Creators :)

I hope everyone has a lovely day. Dream big! And don't forget to put on the lotto for tomorrow night lol ;)

Crocker Castle thanked Wild Bear & Co Hervey Bay
  • PRO
    6 years ago

I was nodding emphatically when you said Mrs Crocker that you were resistant to some of the suggestions as you had become attached to your plan - I hear that and understand exactly what you mean. I find it very difficult at times to get out of my own way but with oklouise and siriuskey's help, I have gone a very different route with our master/ensuite/WIR - and oklouise even designed an amazing little 'sit down dressing space/make up' room just for me! I'd never thought of something like that but gee it will make life for this little cripple so much easier - and nicer :) A little bit of luxury - those girls really do think of everything. And if the budget doesn't stretch to accommodate that tiny bit of space - it's coming off the mancave lol.

• Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

oklouise

You are spot on with the extension options.
    The intention is to be carried out in a box. So, to be honest, we've given a passing nod to stairwells and upper storeys. But your point about needing a bigger space for a stairwell shows that we didn't pursue it fully. Ooops. If we ever sell I'll be sure to refer the new owners to you!

• Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What do people think about pushing the dining area into the terrace a little?

I have been listening and the clear advice is that the living area is not enough. But if we push the house any further east, we lose the space we’d like for a small orchard (and the possibility of putting a granny flay down the back in the future). Also, the bigger the overall kitchen/living//dining area – the harder it will be to heat in winter and cool in summer.

At the moment the plan includes one large northern wall along kitchen/dining/living that has a series of sliding doors. In the same wall, directly above the doors, are a series of clerestory windows. Something like this:

We've seen houses where the lower wall (with the doors) is extended outwards, while the upper wall, with the clerestory windows, remains recessed. If we did this, we could take up some of the terrace area and put the dining area further go the north. Therefore freeing up the area east of the kitchen for an expansive living area. Kind of like the recessed clerestory on the left hand side of this picture:

What are your thoughts?

• oklouise
    6 years ago

eliminating the "notch" on the south side of the family dining area adds back an extra 5-6 sq m without impacting the roof, clerestory or reducing sunlight into the depth of the room.. my ten seater dining table comfortable fits into a similar 5.5m x 3.5m open on one side dining area (and my earlier suggested plans also added about 60cm to the width of the dining room by pushing the kitchen into the original toilet space) AND outdoor space need to be super generous to be in scale with outdoors so not keen to reduce the terrace

• Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

oklouise
    So true about the notch! And straight walls are cheaper to build.
    Would you believe our planning authority is more inclined to approve a building that has interesting (i.e non-linear) walls?! Hence the notch was born.
    We just figured we would use the space between the RBV wall and the southern boundary for water tanks, hot water system etc.

Very interested in the dining table dimensions. We might be a couple but I come from a large (crazy) family and we're keen to host Christmas and things. I have in mind a dining table that can extend and seat at least eight adults. I suspect hubby and I will mostly use the stools at the kitchen island when we're on our own.

So maybe that is the solution. Use smaller (or extendable) dining furniture and use the extra space for the living room. Then, on those occasions where we have guests and can't use the the terrace - we can squish up the couches and maximise the dining space.

• Andy Pat
    6 years ago

Mrs Crocker, not all winds from the west are hot and dry..only in the warmer months..that is why I suggest having the door opening into the hallway, allowing light breeze on a spring or autumn day float through the house. In the warmer/colder months, shut the front door, and make sure it is insulated and draft sealed too! You could increase the width of the door, take out the cloak room wall and it will open up the space into more of a foyer (again better for airflow). I've seen European houses with cloak racks and shoe racks just inside the fairly wide entry, with bench seating for removing snow boots.

Crocker Castle thanked Andy Pat
  • Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Very true Andy Pat. I love those European houses!
    Removing the wall between cloak and entry is worth considering. I can see how it would work. And oklouise has certainly offered a lot of suggestions.
    I'd need to rethink the current sliding door that allows us to block entry from hallway when needed.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Ok Crocker Castle, love that your are trying to keep things on a smaller scale,how many these days have to have a room for this and that, KISS is what needs to be followed.

Having said that I would still push the wall out in the dining/living, with large doors this makes a great indoor outdoor space.

You only need to have the one table setting, when it's cold and your entertaining the table setting is indoors and when it's a beautiful warm day/night the table setting is lifted parallel to the outdoor space.

Your Orchard only needs to have espalierated fruit trees which don't take up nearly as much space, look great and give great bounty.

Re possible consideration of any stairs for future buyers, it could make very good sense even though you don't need it.

If and when you do come to sell for whatever reason, nursing home etc, this would make selling a lot easier and for a much better price.

Don't over estimate money in these situations, money gives you choices and the power to be free to do so x

• Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like it siriuskey.

Moving a dining setting would really make the best of indoor and outdoor. We'll need to think about slide and stack doors (or bi-fiold) so furniture can easily be moved around.

Espalier sounds so professional! I do love gardening, but I'm more of a potterer than a green thumb. But espalier truly is the perfect option for space. Luckily hubby is very good with trees and roses.

I might have to ask the designer what she thinks about future stairs. I'll add it to the list. Luckily she has the patience of Job.

Ahhh, money. That will be our next issue. The plan so far represents the golden dream. I imagine we will need to compromise when quotes come rolling in. But we'll worry about that when/if it happens.

• User
    6 years ago

Hi there Crocker Castle, I'm joining pretty late here, but thought I'd share my initial impression for what it's worth.....

Small indoor living areas....in a cold climate where you will be indoors more. Enormous garage. I concede- I personally do not value putting my car in my house, others do, I get that. But given your compromise is living space and bedroom size. I think it is worth considering the priorities. Here's what I'd be doing (apologies if this has already been suggested- there are lots of revised plans- I haven't read the entire feed):

• Chop garage in half- have a big single.
    • Flip Bedroom 2 into the newly freed-up garage space.
    • Turn old Bedroom 2 space into a second living/sitting area off your terrace.
    Crocker Castle thanked User
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Here I go again, Totally agree that a bigger living area, bigger front door and entrance for now and any future situation.

Some where it's been suggested to leave out built in robes in bedrooms to make them bigger!, what that means is that the bedrooms aren't big enough to start with, where are you going to put all your stuff, I have heaps .

If you are going to have a 3 bedroom house make it 3 bedrooms, it doesn't matter what & how you use them, just make them a reasonable size, with built ins . cheers

• Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Mel N

I'm always interested in what people think. It seems we think alike.

The garage size and location don't match my view of garages. I don't like them very much. If the cost wasn't prohibitive, we would bury ours (as in have a garage basement). But I also dislike the lack of storage/security in our current carport. For storage we could use garden sheds. But there was one other key factor - having to deal with frosted car windows on those minus 4 degree mornings for a few months of the year is one of my least favourite things about living here. So double garage it is.

It probably isn't easy to see on the plan, but we've made provision for roller doors on the front and back so we can drive through. Quite important as we're keen gardeners and plan to spend the next few years doing a lot of the landscaping ourselves. We have learned from where we live now that side access for a car and trailer is crucial. That put paid to our idea of putting Bedroom 2 alongside the garage. But certainly something we thought about - so good to know others were thinking the same way.

We are also thinking, like you, that Bedroom 2 will make a good second living space. Hubby and I will be the only residents. So we are lucky and can use Bedroom 2 just for that purpose. It will be furnished with a sofa bed and large desk and only converted to a bedroom when we have guests. I can see it will be a favourite spot to cosy up and soak in all the eastern and northern light in winter.

• Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

75 comments in just 2 days! No wonder there's some I have missed. Going back over it all now to make the most of everyone's expertise. Cannot say thank you enough.

• Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

There were some pretty big ideas that I didn't respond to yet. This one still has me mulling things over. Will definitely need other half to see it later today.

• Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

By the way, I love those pantry ideas siriuskey. I didn't miss them, just forgot to write back. Apologies.

That interior designer uses lovely clean lines. I have been inspired by this image:

Madison, Virginia · More Info

The open shelves would go against the separate toilet, in the area marked 'app.' (appliances). Immediately opposite will probably be cupboards for vases, the good dinner set, crystal ware, baking tins etc.

Hopefully that explains, brizcs, why the space in the plan looks so deep, but won't actually be filled with really deep shelves where things get lost. The depth for the space allows for the drawers at the bottom and a wider shelf for using appliances. The shelves above it will be narrower, to make sure things don't get hidden.

A pantry for us will make a huge difference. Our current one is tiny. I think a butler's pantry is a bit fancy for our needs but we saw this amazing project home with a pantry to the side of the kitchen and loved it. So we squeezed one in between the laundry and kitchen.

We originally combined pantry and laundry but you might have noticed a little space marked 'dog' in the laundry. With the cold weather we need somewhere warm for the dog to be inside at night - and the pantry is not the best idea for that! So the rooms had to be separated and a door added to make sure we get more use out of the pantry than the dog. :-)

• Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Andy Pat

ok Lydia, I've had a bit of a think..it's a tight site..best I can do in a single storey is suggest something like this, courtesy of the yourhome.gov.au website. It is 23.2 m long by 10.645 wide, and I think will keep most of your trees. I would suggest relocating the garage or carport to another part of the block, and link it with the entry via a covered pergola style walkway, in keeping with your garden. The garage in this plan could then be a second living space. All up you would have 3br, study, 2 bath and 2 good sized (not extravagant) living spaces.

Just checking if that was meant for this thread, or a different one?

Not really a problem. Always happy to hear about yourhome.gov.au

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

some photos for the Crocker Dynasty showing Clerestory windows, make them opening because that's where all the summer heat gathers and winter so important to have reverse ceiling fan to bring the winter heat back down cheers

• Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks siriuskey

Like! like! like!

Hubby has been keen from the very beginning on a skillion roof and clerestory windows. And keen to avoid aircon, so the reverse ceiling fan will be a must have.

We're hoping nature will do a lot of the hard work for us in the Living/Dining area, with floor-level windows on the southern side and high, openable clerestory windows on the northern side. Fingers crossed it will create quite an airflow in summer as the cool air from lower down is drawn in and pushes rising hot air out.

As for dynasty .... hilarious! Not sure that a childless couple will ever create a dynasty, but we definitely wanted a house that we are happy to leave as a legacy for anyone who might live in it after us. As you know, you can't always control what people after you will do (like those people that removed all that lovely fretwork from your old house), but if we build a house that doesn't place a huge burden on gas/water/electricity and is sympathetic to its surroundings, then it will hopefully provide a happy place for many generations.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Last one for you and your Hubby to consider over the weekend, change the Island bench as that the table runs the same way long Refectory table for both indoor and outdoor use? Maybe push the wall out where the hot water is.

Add a large pivot door to the front entrance opening into the mudroom from that and the garage, which gives the Bedroom a bit more space and removes some of that narrow passage way. Have a great weekend

• Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've enjoyed the interaction siriuskey. Thank you. And happy (well-earned) weekend!

Agreed on wider doors and doorways. All of ours should be wheelchair friendly (just in case).

Your clever idea about island bench and the dining table reminded me of this - a hidden table that can be pulled out from under a bench. My Granny had one and it worked a treat!

Concealed Living kitchen · More Info

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

well done, I did have some other examples of this but for the love of me can't find them, forward thinking granny.

• Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So I've learned a lot in the past few days.

I've been reminded that a lot of design elements are a compromise.
    Lots of choices to be made! Choosing between lots of hallway storage or hallway wall space to hang artwork / family photos. Choosing between a glass-free, walk-in shower, or a compact bathroom with the vanity close to the (screened in) shower.

Also, I've realised that after the design stage we'll be spending a lot of time talking to builders, compliance auditors and interior designers. Everything we've 'tested' here makes us better prepared to have those conversations. To know why we want something in a particular location. Or why it is the last thing we want. Even better, we have a ready list of alternatives. That might come in handy for the (hopefully rare) occasion where the planned idea just won't work.

But the biggest thing is being open to new ideas and appreciating diversity of thought. Even if you are convinced you have the right plan, be willing to listen. As one helper said: if you think you have made the right decision - take a good look at all of the different suggestions, because it will either validate your choice or create a new option. When you think of it like that, what do you have to lose?

• Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Happy weekend and thanks to everyone that kindly contributed to our learning journey! :-D

MB Design & Drafting
    Shara C
    Nik Star
    girlguides
    siriuskey
    saragraham76
    oklouise
    Andy Pat
    brizcs
    Mel N

• PRO
    6 years ago
    It's an incredible journey - to be able to buy land & dream big about your 'castle'.

And that is true - Houzz is a unique place and has become a very valued space.... discussing the pros, cons, learning about other alternatives, discovering new possibilities & thrashing out options with those who have either extensive experience, qualifications, a mad passion or passing interest - all makes for a more informed process when it comes time to go to your builder.

Knowledge is power.

Home is where the heart is.

Although I've often said to my husband - "home is where the heart is, and home is wherever you are"... so we're building our foundation on us. Might be soppy - but he's a phenomenal man.

Good luck to you both hunni. Look forward to reading more about your journey :)
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

your personal responses and appreciation of everyones' contributions is very gracious but we do live in the lucky country with time and interests to share.

• Andy Pat
    6 years ago

Mr/s Crockers..u sound like nice people...good luck!

Crocker Castle thanked Andy Pat
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

It has been fun and you have never failed to respond, it's been great to have a bit of in put and hopefully it will help you going to the next step. I found the pictures of your grannies style kitchen bench/table in was in my kitchen house file cheers

Southeast Portland Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Southeast Portland Kitchen Remodel · More Info

• PRO
    3D Home Concepts
    6 years ago

Hi Crocker Castle, if its fine with oklouise i could 3D her last design for you to look at. Seems that the visualisation is a concern . I have recently started doing this an, as a once off seeing this thread so long i will offer it to you no charge.

I think this is in a similar vain, recently done .

Crocker Castle thanked 3D Home Concepts
  • PRO
    3D Home Concepts
    6 years ago

Hi again, if you have block dimensions and contour plan would help too.

This picture is 2pm June, showing your living area and sunlight it gets. I made it Melbourne and only Flat ceiling but would be better as skillion, plus not sure of window size's on eastern wall. unfortunately Houzz doesn't like 360 views.

At the size's listed it feels cramped .

Crocker Castle thanked 3D Home Concepts
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

some more views with the raked ceiling and some awful interior decorating..the whole space is about 11m x 5m and includes 2x 2100mm sofas and an armchair, an 8 seater 2.5m x 1.5m dining suite with space to extend an extra metre, twin 1500 x 450mm tall storage cabinets, a 3m x 450mm long cabinet under the big TV, a 2.5m x 900mm island bench, collection of stools, coffee tables and a few plants and has plenty of circulation space which increases with the doors to the terrace ...small windows on the south to aid ventilation should be placed to suit aspect and outlook but there is enough wall space to add 3 x 60wide widows along the south wall without changing furniture

• PRO
    3D Home Concepts
    6 years ago

Nice touch with the background picture, you can do the fly around video and walk thru too. to finish the job for them. Hands up.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

very kind offer 3D, it will be a wonderful tool to use in your business, my son builds and flies his own UAV's, edits the film's and adds sound tracks, even flies inside houses cheers

• Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Looks like there has been more gracious work to support us. Thanks everyone. Apologies about the lack of response - been quite distracted due to a family member in hospital. When I get a spare moment I look forward to going through the additional comments.

• gwyn5
    6 years ago

I live in a cool climate, and cool climates are boiling in summer. Simply, cut that plan in half and have the garage, 2nd bedroom in the south. Put a large, covered gazebo( use white tin roofing), bbq area in place of the garage etc. Gorgeous. Position the house as you want it on the block.

Crocker Castle thanked gwyn5
  • Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great minds think alike Gwyn5. Sadly not possible. The enforced setback, rules for driveway and a street tree require the garage to be where it is. But that's ok, we'll make the most of it and cover it in solar panels.

• Andy Pat
    6 years ago

I think you've got a pretty good design as it is, I wouldn't change anything now. I reread comments last night and I think I mentioned not putting pavers or concrete under the front window. Many new houses in my area have concrete around the perimeter - I am not sure why- possibly to stop people planting gardens against the house. It is not recommended to plant directly against the house as watering can cause the soil to expand then crack when it dries out. Best bet would be to put some nice hardy plants in attractive pots (please no yukkas- they are done to death!). Anyway, enjoy your new home.

• suancol
    5 years ago

Since a year has passed I wonder how things have gone. I really enjoyed the development of ideas and the wonderful input from so many creative people.

Crocker Castle thanked suancol
  • Caro
    5 years ago
    I would place living area in the north east of house and swap master bedroom. Morning sun and then northern light for most of day perfect aspect for Southern Hemisphere.
    Crocker Castle thanked Caro
  • Crocker Castle
    Original Author
    5 years ago

When I first wrote in August 2017 we got a lot of great suggestions and comments. At the time we had accepted the limitations of the block (easements, tree, solar access etc). It is now one year later and I can tell you we found a way to move the garage to the south-west corner. This allowed us to move Beds 2 and 3 and the bathroom to the northern side. Pantry and laundry between garage and kitchen/living/dining.

I think it was all of the comments and suggestions that encouraged us to look at it again from different angles, rather than just accepting the limitations. Thanks to everyone for their generosity!

The solution involved working around a lovely tree (it is nice, just in the wrong spot). It is still in the way (council said we couldn't remove it) but we've opted for a long, curving driveway that starts on the other side of the block and weaves its way around the treeline to the garage entry. Not ideal, because a large portion of the front setback will now be a hard surface, instead of a garden. But if there is one thing that designing teaches you - its all about compromises.

Thanks everyone.

MB Design & Drafting

Shara C

Nik Star

girlguides

oklouise

siriuskey

genkii

saragraham76

Andy Pat

brizcs

Mel N

3D Home Concepts

suancol

Caro

• PRO
    5 years ago

As a plan obsessed maniac Mrs Crocker, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see the layout of your castle - if you felt you wanted to share? :) Good luck with it all!