Houzz Logo Print
kimrenodream

Ideas on how to tizzy up our 1970s plain Jane cottage

Kim Dring
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

She's a plain Jane, but we bought her for the entry price into a good suburb. Good access to public transport and great schools, nice elevated outlook to the South (more elevated side of the house, with deck going down side), and larger than average block and large backyard (picture below). The large yard and current layout will allow us to add an extension to the back in a couple of years, once we have some more money saved up. Unfortunately, due to slope of driveway, we found our car bottoms out where the pavement meets the driveway. Unless re-angling the driveway to enter on more of an angle rather than straight down from the street could fix the issue, I think we are going to have to add a suspended carport and entry platform on the side where the entry gate and pavers are. In the meantime while we wait to be able to do a big makeover, it would be nice to give her a little facelift. I'm thinking of knocking out the brick wall on the Southern corner, and replacing with Post on corner of deck and timber battening. Deck does need some repair work and I'm thinking the railings need to be higher. I'm also thinking maybe some natural timber colours, and introducing more darker greys into the paint scheme somehow? Some timber frames around the windows? Or maybe those front windows could be upgraded as well. they are rather rickety aluminium at the moment. A new, brightly coloured door? Garage door could use a refresh, and I would love to set it back more so it lines up with the upper level. I was wondering whether the basemen area to the side of the garage could even allow us to do sliding, stacking doors or some sort, that could look nicer than the regular garage door? Would love any ideas that the hive mind could offer.

Comments (5)

• ton12h
    6 years ago
    I think a nice new paint job would make a big difference, maybe a charcoal colour and your idea of natural wooden frames around the windows would look fantastic
    Kim Dring thanked ton12h
  • cloudpants
    6 years ago
    I think your house could be lovely with a bit of spit and polish! As per the previous comment, a paint job would do wonders. Our house is similar in that the ground floor is brick and the top is (now) weatherboard (over fibro). We lived in the old fibro for years before we could afford to renovate. It gave us more of an idea of what we would ultimately like. Here is our before and after. As you can see, we added a deck and changed part of the the roofline too.
    Kim Dring thanked cloudpants
  • Kim Dring
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow Cloudpants - lovely transformation of your home. Do you mind if I ask what doors you used on the garage (from a supplier, or custom made?) and your paint colours? They are very similar lines to what I was thinking.

• cloudpants
    6 years ago
    Our builder custom-made the doors as they were way too expensive when we priced similar at a door suppliers.
    The paint colours were mixed by our painter. I think very close to Raku (on the garage) and I think Flooded Gum on the top. Sorry that I can't be more specific. I admired the colours on a house in a neighbouring suburb dragged our painter there and asked that he match them.
    Kim Dring thanked cloudpants
  • cloudpants
    6 years ago
    Please keep us posted here at Houzz any time you make a change. I personally love to see cute caterpillars turn into beautiful butterflies!