Houzz Logo Print
anne_hewson56

Help! Which exterior colours should I choose?

Anne H
6 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We have had the same exterior trim colours on our home for the last 30 years - and I'm sick of them! I know what I like when I see it, but have been through numerous sample pots of paint and still can't hit on the combination that I'm happy with.

As can be seen in the photo, we have a 1920 brick and terracotta tile house. I don't want to go to the grey spectrum, but want to get away from the cream, golden yellow and bronze olive that we currently have.

I'm after a more modern, stylish and fairly neutral palette. Warm stone-ish, but with subtle contrast that won't look too washed out. I don't want white windows and trim. The barge boards on the front gable are white undercoat, as the wood has been recently replaced prior to painting.

I like (I think!) the colour in the woodwork in the photo below, but I can't source it. And it seems to be just one colour and I am after a palette of lighter, middle and darker contrast.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. What should be fun is becoming very frustrating!

Comments (65)

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

sounds like a lot of husbands and it will be your fault if they don't like your choice, gotta love them.

Here's the thing if you plan on doing 3 colours you may as well sand and add another coat of the original colours as any change of colours would need more prep and coats just to end up with a similar look, might as well save some money.

But if you are keen to give your house a more updated look and not look like a Hanzel & Gretal cookie cottage, I would keep it simple. One shade of your choice for timber etc, adding a different coloured door so it stands out.

It's a beautiful house and would look amazing with the right changes, good luck

• sarah_eddy6
    6 years ago

Your house is so gorgeous!

You've done more research and testing than anyone should have to do ; D so I would definitely get a colour consultant, you've done well to have your existing scheme look great for 30 years, I think it's a wise investment so you achieve something you love for the next 30!

Also, if you're not keen on the greys that are so popular at the moment, look at Haymes, I was surprised by how many beautiful neutrals they had, so many with such subtle differences that could mean you find your perfect match!

And I'm inclined to agree, your house has so many decorative elements - material, pattern and shade-wise that I would pare it back to just 2 strong colours so make it look less dated / prissy and really better highlight the amazing architectural detailings.

Please post some after photos, it's such a gorgeous house, I can't wait to see how beautifully it comes up!

• Related Discussions

Which grout colour should I choose?

Q

Comments (42)
    What a beautiful tile! Rule of the tump - always match the grout to the tile. Specially with such a strong patterned tile, otherwise the grout also becomes a clashing pattern. I'd pick light grey to avoid pure white cleaning issues. I have these type of tiles in my patio, you will have to be seal them with penetrating sealer after installation, but other then that you will love them forever
    ...See More

Which carpet should I choose?

Q

Comments (23)
    Hi me me EC Group are a small Australian mill that were previously known as Edwardstown Carpets. They have traditionally made a good product. The carpet you are looking at is a BCF solution dyed nylon. This means that the fibre is a Bulk Continuous Fibre (ie a continuous length) nylon that has had the colour mixed into it while the nylon was still a liquid (and not applied afterwards). It gives it a much greater resistance to staining and soiling (be aware that it has no separate stain treatment) and means that it also resists fading in direct sunlight very well. As far as the durability of it is concerned, the ratings have evolved to a two tier level of Extra Heavy Duty now, being a 5 and a 6 star. Avenue is a 5 star which is reflected in its' light commercial rating. Being a 25oz I would say it would be a good performer for bedrooms and living areas but will tend to flatten down in doorways, stairs or passages. Without knowing the areas intended we would probably suggest also looking at the Stoney River which is similar but a slightly heavier pile weight and a 6 star rating. Being a solution dyed nylon means it also responds well to being steam cleaned which tends to make it 'bloom' again. Cheers
    ...See More

Hello I would like help choosing an exterior paint colour

Q

Comments (1)
    Can you post a pic of house so we can see colours it sits in and the roof
    ...See More

which tile should i choose?

Q

Comments (20)
    The Kitchen -- it is very much a 1970's intrepretation of Colonial IMO , and ties in with the front door , so presumably thge rest of the house is similarly dated -- and thats not a bad thing . In one of the other pictures is a white 'panelled' door -- in a lot of ways its a pity that the rest of the doors weren't wood . Anyway , IMO painting the kitchen white will not achieve anything -- it won't look more modern , and it won't look warmer . The only slight argument is that it may look 'cleaner' but I don't think that's enough reason to do it . Your front door looks a few shades darker , and better for it IMO . So if you are keeping the kitchen , stain it darker , embrace the scrolls and the fake latticework , and the appliances all look reasonably modern . Its a decent size and has a good flow . Even the tiles look okay , but my criticism of them is you actually have to look -- they blend into the walls , because they appear to be exactly the same colour . The kickboards look grey -- you could repaint the upper parts of the walls in a similar grey , but my preference with slightly darker and slightly redder stained cabinets would be stay with a white or off-white , but re-grout in a mid to charcoal grey , and make a bit of a feature with the tiles , and it also ties in with your bench colour . The downlights are good -- the bug catcher UFO light definitely not so . Get something with character , but NOT 1970's , and definitely not 1970's faux colonial . Clean and modern would be the buzzwords . You could start again , or paint the frames white and change the doors to white or grey , lose some character and lose some warmth IMO -- it suits the house , just needs a lift .
    ...See More
  • Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you, Sarah, for your comments and kind words :-) I am quite touched that you and the other Houzzers who have responded to my dilemma have been so encouraging and complimentary about our home.

I hope I won't disappoint you guys with the end result! If it's hideous, I'll just skulk away quietly and keep my failure to myself. ;-)

We are also going to redo the front gardens, driveway and path. Believe it or not, the exterior was supposed to be the easier part before tackling the interior.

Ha!!!!
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

I know you don't plan on painting the brown stain cladding at the rear but that would look stunning painted in a stone colour, you just need to find one that reflects more grey than pink. Interiors are much easier that exteriors. cheers

• Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Siriuskey, you're probably right about the cedar boards but that's a bridge too far for us. The next owners can take that on :-)

I hope you are right about the interiors. I am sure to need Houzzers' help again when we broach that, as I am conflicted about flooring. But let's save that for another day. One dilemma at a time!
  • PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    6 years ago

As a rule of thumb, anything off a sample chip will appear a couple of shades lighter. Colours always plays off adjacent materials/colour/tone and it's art in itself selecting appropriate colour. More often than not what you like isolated on a colour chip won't work as well as you thought in context...

I generally specify Resene paint & colours. Superior quality but you need tradesmen who understand/appreciate it. Painting cost is 90-95% labour so in my opinion get the best paint product possible and if you have to buy 40 sample pots to get the colour right consider it part of the long term investment and a very small proportion of the overall cost of the job.

Resene also have a program you can get from their website that you can import photos, specify painting zones and try out many colour options in a virtual sense that will help quickly hone in on the tone that is likely to be successful in your particular situation. Maybe worthwhile you checking it out :)

I'd be considering complimentary neutral options that strategically selected to work with the tones of the existing materials

Good luck!

• Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you for your advice, Paul. I'll investigate Resene's app. I've tried the Dulux visualiser with little success, but will give it a shot.

I appreciate your suggestions - thanks for your help. :-)
  • Bernadette Staal
    6 years ago

Have you looked at the pale to mid green range or just plain white (or a combination of both).

• Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi Bernadette
    Thanks for your suggestions :-) I think I have had green for so long that I just want a change. Still with a tinge, because it's a good complement to the terracotta and brick, but more stone/natural wicker. I am not a fan of white with the brown bricks or the stained cedar on the back of the house - it looks a bit stark to me.

As well as the Dulux Self-Destruct and Stonecrop, which we are leaning towards, the other contenders were Dusty Plains and Classic Khaki which looked nice on paper but the Classic Khaki washed out in the bright sunlight.

I very much appreciate your help with my dilemma.
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

What about, Stone Chapel and Cabinet Grey

• Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for hanging in there with suggestions, siriuskey!

I'm not as attracted to the grey palette, for some reason. I admire certain shades of grey with white and think it looks very fresh and crisp - but don't see it for us on this house.

I'm 90% on board with Stonecrop and Self-Destruct, but happy still to take suggestions on board. I still have some time, waiting for painters' quotes to come in.
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

That's fine, I just thought that Stone Chapel doesn't throw pink like the others good luck.

• Trev M
    6 years ago
    we went with a grey/blue and biege paint scheme for our California bungalow. Dulux Ironstone and Beige Royal
  • Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It looks great, Trev - well done! What is the lighter colour you used on the gable with the Beige Royal?

Thanks so much for your input and photo :-)
  • Trev M
    6 years ago

Hi Anne

We ended up using the following three colour combinations:

* Ironstone
    * Beige Royal 200%
    * Beige Royal Quarter

Note: The ironstone colour can be some what deceptive, it will look grey when you see it on a colour card, but does have a nice grey/blue colour once painted and in the sun.

We also had the roof cleaned, which also made a big
    difference on our house.

BTW, You have a lovely house :)

Trev

• Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    What a difference, Trev: you must be thrilled! Your house looks so inviting and that blend of traditional but up to date that I'm after. I particularly like your Royal Beige and half Royal Beige combination. Very smart!

The house next door, which is a mirror image of ours without the upstairs front addition, has been painted in a blue grey and cream combination and looks very nice, too, but with the original coloured glass in our windows being green and rose, I don't want to add a completely new colour. As has been mentioned, we already have a lot going on! ;-)

We have booked in a roof clean before the painting. I agree it will make a big difference. We are also replacing the awning over the front window downstairs with new cedar shingles.

Thank you for your kind words about our house. I hope I do her justice.
  • scottevie
    6 years ago

Have you had a look at dulux linseed, oyster linen or similar green-undertone new shades?

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

scottevie, Have used and love Linseed, it has a bit of Khaki green about it.

• Julie Herbert
    6 years ago
    Hi Anne,
    love Stonecrop and self destruct together, looks really lovely, your house will come up a treat
  • Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    What a constructive and knowledgable group you are! Thank you scottevie, siriuskey and Julie for sharing your expertise. It is reassuring and has helped me greatly.

I have looked at Linseed and Oyster Linen (what haven't I looked at!). I think it's finding the second, complementary colour that has been a challenge - they are either too light or change tone, even when double strength or moving a couple of steps down on the colour cards.

I wish you were all nearby and we could stand in the street together and stare at the house and the test patches and painted cardboard squares together and nut it out. Houzz will have to be the next best thing ;-)
  • PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    6 years ago

Hey Anne, you actually may have to wait until the roof has been cleaned to nail the decision(s) (assuming this hasn;t yet been done?)- there's such a significant proportion of the terracotta tile and it will brighten up and even if it's only a few shades or so consequently the perception of particular tones/colour being thrown by the adjacent painted elements will change dramatically. This link demonstrates it really well: http://www.resene.com.au/samecolour.htm......It's about progressive and confident decisions, and making them in the right order.... Sound like you're honing in and some great & generous advice provided here :) but be careful that you don;t get the rug pulled from under all the this work you're doing if there's still a major influencer adjustment yet to happen with the roof clean process....you can throw ideas/colours around till the cows come home but it will still be "floating", as until you know exactly what you're looking at you'll struggle with making an accurate judgment in pin-pointing.......some situations are easier than others though and yes this particular method of seeking advice may only get you so far as when it comes to paint colours/elections sometimes unless we are able to physically eyeball the situation we're practically limited/restricted in being able to provide advice on particular colour options/suggestions etc...

The other tip I'll throw out there is that ideally you have good large size, say 1x1m2 square samples to work with or if you're doing trim, say a long 1m length similar in proportion to what you're painting to hold up and move around....big changes in colour throw happen at the larger scale and 100% understand how frustrating it can be when you think it looks great on the small chip and then appears completely wrong when it's put up....

• Julie Herbert
    6 years ago
    good luck Anne whatever you choose I am sure it will look beautiful, such a gorgeous conundrum you have
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Totally agree with Julie, would love to have your problem and also be able to sit down and have a face to face chat.

• C P
    6 years ago
    I know you've tried many options but what about Porters Paints? They are beautiful tints which you can get colour matched. I adore Old Stone Wall.
  • Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks, Paul, for your suggestions and advice. The roof is to be cleaned soon. The thought that this could further affect my colour choice sent a chill through my bones! ;-)

I take on board the valid observation that the colour samples I have are being considerably influenced by the existing paint colours and surrounding materials. I had thought this was the case, and why the samples were looking quite different when painted on white cardboard and then on the trim itself. I will upsize the cardboard to your recommended scale.

CP, thank you so much for your suggestion: Old Stone Wall is indeed a very pretty colour, but probably a tad more green than I am after on this occasion.

And Julie and Siriuskey - thanks for the morale boost. You are good people :-)

PS Julie, your garden in your ideas book is divine!
  • Julie Herbert
    6 years ago
    Thank you for your lovely comments Anne, I can see you love to garden also as yours looks really loved and cared for as does your beautiful house, can't wait to see how it looks with your chosen colours and see how all your hard work in choosing them has paid off, it will look gorgeous
  • sarah_eddy6
    6 years ago

Was just browsing the net & one of my favourite gardeners' projects and this spectacular garden has a house that reminded me slightly of yours - I know you've done so much research already, but I thought the soft taupe & crisp white looked fresh & modern yet traditional and let the house's detail sing. If nothing else, the garden may be worth tagging for when you tackle that project!
    https://www.peterfudgegardens.com.au/our-gardens/old-is-new 

• Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sarah (and Julie), I think we have very similar tastes: I love Peter Fudge gardens and have that one on one of my Pinterest boards! The link I saved it from didn't feature such a great shot of the house, so thank you for that and I do love the taupe.

And thank you for keeping my challenge in mind. Your support and encouragement is wonderful. :-)
  • nancymiller48
    6 years ago

My suggestion is to keep it simple! As previously mentioned your house has complex selection of colours already there with the bricks and roof tiles and I think any more than one main trim colour being a perfect way to set off the beautifully detailed architecture of your house. Just one neutral trim colour (eg Resene Lyttleton half or quarter) with a pop of brighter shade on the exterior doors as a contrast - maybe a glossy jade green. I do think that denim-y blue looks great with the orange-brown-terracotta of bricks but you say that blue doesn't work with your existing glass - pity! Good luck with your project - lovely house!!

• Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions, Nancy. I am in agreement about simplifying and think reducing the palette to two colours with much less contrast will achieve that - fingers crossed, anyway.

I gave a thumbs down earlier to double strength Dulux Self-Destruct after painting a sample sheet of cardboard, but have revisited it by painting some pickets and am feeling it is now a two thumbs up to replace the existing cream and wheat trim. Stonecrop would take the place of the Bronze Olive. I am feeling quietly decided - for now. Let's see what tomorrow brings!

We are still waiting for the painter's quote and then, if we accept it, his availability for this project, so it will be some time before anything happens. Plenty of time for me to lose my nerve on colour selection. ;-)

• mumell
    6 years ago

We have the same predicament here with a 3-storey brick home which was painted in Stonecrop with trim in Dulux Harold. As there's so much of it - a lot of vast brick walls that are looking a bit tired, i'm now ready to move away from it. Like you, I've been through many sample pots and I've painted our poolhouse as a test project, in Dulux Paving Stone. TIP for anyone who cant find what they're after with paint cards- your Bunnings paint counter should have a large book with thousands of colours in it, way more than the card selection on the wall. i was looking for something in between Colorbond Dune and Dulux Linseed and found one called Paving Stone which I am finally pleased with.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Inspirations paint stores have the whole spectrum in paint colours for anyone to look at.

• Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    This colour selection business is exhausting, mumell, isn't it ??I'm so glad that you have found a colour that you're happy with. I think I'm done, too.

I didn't know that there were colour books available in store with even MORE colour choices. Yikes!!! I'm thinking there needs to be fewer options - not more. If I had to pick from only one shade each of white, black, red, blue, green or yellow, decisions would be a whole lot easier. Boring, certainly, but easier ;-)

Thanks to you and Siriuskey for sharing your tips. I still have the interior colour selection to look forward to.
  • sarah_eddy6
    6 years ago

Anne, I was choosing a white for my interior walls last year and it took a good month of deliberating over different whites. It's so hard! But I'm so happy with what we ended up choosing (Dulux Casper White Qtr - though in a Haymes paint), so it was worth the anguish - I'm sure you'll feel that soon too!

• Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for your encouragement, Sarah!

I think you did very well to come to a colour decision in a month, - that's lightning fast in my world! ;-)

I think I've settled on the exterior colours ( 200% Self-Destruct and Stonecrop) and feel I should quit while I'm ahead. I need to save some emotional energy for all of the other choices that still need to be made. I don't know how people build a home from scratch ......
  • Julie Herbert
    6 years ago
    Sounds wonderful Anne, you have chosen beautiful colours, your house will look gorgeous, your house is one of the lovelliest I have seen in a long time, can't wait to see your chosen colours bring out her beauty even more.
  • Deb Xuereb
    6 years ago
    I would definitely contact a Dulux consultant. Well worth the money. Our painter provided the services of a consultant and she was wonderful with her suggestions. Takes a lot of the worry out of the exercise and she explained the reasons why she suggested each colour. They are professionals and really know what they are doing.
  • Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Finally! The exterior painting has been completed. No more green and yellow. :-)
    A huge thank you to everyone who helped me refine my thinking about the colour selection. The painting company we used (Painting Pros Pty Ltd, sourced from Houzz) provided the services of a colour consultant. Although I ended up sticking with the colours I had already selected, she was excellent. We used her suggestions for the dark trim colour (Wayward Grey) and for the placement of the colours, and are delighted with the results.
    The Dulux colours used are Wayward Grey for the narrow top of the gable barge boards and finials, guttering and shingles on the awning; Stonecrop for the barge boards, down pipes and service conduits, garage door, verandah capping, chimney, gates and fence capping; Self-Destruct for the windows and transoms, decorative fretwork, gable battens and front verandah posts; and 50% Self-Destruct for the verandah ceiling and eaves.
    The colours do look quite different during the day as the light changes, but we are thrilled (and relieved!) with the results and would happily recommend Painting Pros, and use them again.
    Plans are underway to landscape the front yard - driveway and paths and gardens - so I will post the before and after when that is done. I have carefully avoided showing what a poor state they are in!
    I am having trouble uploading the photos, so will try them one at a time.
  • Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Second photo.
  • Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Second photo.
  • Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sorry for the duplicate post.

Third shot.
  • julie herbert
    6 years ago
    Oh Anne,
    I was only thinking of you the other day, how gorgeous does your house look, I am so thrilled for you, the colours look wonderful, you must be so happy, gorgeous, gorgeous house.
  • Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you so much, Julie. I thought you would be interested in the end result, given how much encouragement and advice you so generously gave me. :-)
    I do love it. It has made such a difference and I think (fingers crossed) the landscaping will give it the finishing touch.
    We are reroofing the pergola, so will post photos when that is completed. The gazebo looks great after its facelift, too.
  • julie herbert
    6 years ago
    How lovely, bet you are glad that you are now retired so you can enjoy your beautiful home, it is looking wonderful, can’t wait to see what you do with the garden, enjoy every minute it looks gorgeous
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Your house looks so lovely, it's ageless, not unlike our selves !does this mean that you are now painting all that brown timber at the rear of the house

• Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    No, I'm afraid not ;-) It was lightly restained and, really, you don't notice it unless you're at the bottom of the yard, looking back up. It is less prominent than it seems in the photos - either that, or I'm just used to it!
  • me me
    6 years ago
    So beautiful and restrained
  • Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you so much, Siriuskey and me me. I do appreciate your kind words.

Importantly, our neighbours across the road - who see the front of our house more than we do - have given it two thumbs up, so we're chuffed about that. It seems quite a few people in our street appreciate the change! :-)
  • cloudpants
    6 years ago
    Beautiful! Timeless! You must be so pleased with your choices, Anne. Thank you for the update. It is so satisfying to see the end result after a design dilemma has been raised.
  • Anne H
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you, Cloudpants. It's the least I can do after everyone gave their time and thoughts so generously to help me. I'm so glad you like the end result :-)