Houzz Logo Print
moonya

Cute Little Victorian Miners Cottage

Sunfish House
6 years ago
Looking to give this house a bit of a makeover to make it more functional for next 5 years or so...particularly kitchen dining, bathroom space...master plan may include upstairs master and ensuite ....or is it realistic to consider gaining more space in front rooms by extending front rooms and veranda into the front garden. Any input will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (30)

• oklouise
    6 years ago

my initial reaction would be to rearrange all the angles at the rear for more useable space but what's the distance from the front door to the front fence and from the back wall to the rear fence? is there drive in access and potential car space in the rear garden? i suggest you consult your local council to find out maximum set backs all round, including upstairs and the proportion of the whole block that can be built on...in the meantime a basic suggestion without extending beyond the existing footprint could work something like this?

• Sunfish House
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks ok Louise. We could easily get rid of the 2 angles at kitchen end, as they are under existing roofline. Would leave other 2 for now. By squaring off as you suggested would make room for a good kitchen, with some useful storage that could include a dishwasher, and an island. ...perhaps a clean white budget kitchen would do the job....happy for any suggestions on layout and look ??
  • Related Discussions

What colour to paint a fibro cottage by the river

Q

Comments (58)
    Thanks for asking.. I am so happy.. the house was so decayed so we decided to rebuild the same look of a 100 year old cottage but move all the living to the front for the river view.. so happy we did it and went for light grey and white and yellow.. so pleased and we have people in the park comment.. we could not go any bigger because of council and flood zone but it makes it special as it is. Some pictures I just took.. I took a picture of the outlook so you can see why it feels just right.. still work to do as in the gardens and just finding the right plants to put in as it is full sun. Will ask for help on that one too to make it feel cottagey but not block the view. Thanks again for asking. Karen
    ...See More

Do plantation shutters suit sash windows?

Q

Comments (11)
    Absolutely you can mix traditional windows with contemporary window treatments, although I don't think plantations are considered contemporary by any means. Ordinarily sash windows can have shutters installed over them, however I can see your sill is very narrow given your bottom pane sits forward of the frame. I can see privacy is no issue, in fact you have a great view and half height windows allow light in and keep peepers out, so I suggest plantation shutters fitted to your French doors, to allow tilt and directional light and a roman blind as the folds of fabric mimic the frames themselves to your corner arrangement. If they are too fussy for you a standard holland blind, however be creative, you can have a bonded holland which allows for a fabric front bonded to a block out backing, you can ask for a roman fold on the bottom making them look like a roman when rolled almost all up, and dress the window a little better, but Hollands can roll up into the frame and allow for maximum window when wanted.
    ...See More

Cladding a wall in timber

Q

Comments (24)
    For a cheaper, faster and possibly easier option, take a look at this for some inspiration. The lighter colour of the walls may reflect more light and be a stand out feature of your home. Click on the link and scroll to the image of the polished timber floor with the timber wall and ceiling. Polished timber floors with timber wall paneling
    ...See More

What's your proudest home improvement? WIN Darren Palmer's new book!

Q

Comments (40)
    Thanks for all your entries. And those are some marvellous photos of your own spaces being changed. Our congratulations to @how2girl who was randomly selected as the winner of Darren Palmer's book! We will be in contact and send this book out to you very soon. Stay tuned for more contests in the near future. HouzzAU Team
    ...See More
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

something like this? and you have what looks like quality kitchen cabinets with lots of drawers and it should be possible to rearrange these cabinets (painted white?) add new counters and use flatpac plain doored cabinets for any gaps (eg the optional oven tower) or make all new flatpacs btw i've added a better option for a future stairwell which should allow space for a tiny cabinet laundry with window but suggest that it would be much more cost effective to straighten the whole external wall and complete all the plumbing at the same time as the wall between bathroom and kitchen may need to move for best arrangement btw strongly advise you consider windows (rather than sliding doors to north of dining area) as you already have sliding doors from the living area to the side courtyard and rear alfresco

btw if there is any chance of adding upstairs in future it's essential to plan the upstairs and have those plans approved with the downstairs changes to avoid later disappointment

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi there, you mention that you were only looking to change things to cover the next 5 yrs, what's happening then?, It's a very pretty cottage with a wild kitchen layout I wonder who was the genius who dreamed that one up.

• Sunfish House
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Oklouise, great input....thinking a new kitchen will be needed, as current Cabinents only 550 deep ... will need a space for washing machine for now too....upstairs, only a maybe, if in say 5 years we have saved enough money and decide to stay .
  • Sunfish House
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi siriuskey
    It is indeed a cute cottage.
    Our daughter loves it....just helping her make it better for now...without too much cost....review in say 5 years...if she still finds she loves it maybe she will have enough money to perhaps add a master and ensuite upstairs. Mindful that what she does now adds value, and makes it more appealing, in case she decided to sell, and move on to something bigger.
    Agree an interesting kitchen layout....all those angles.
    I have seen your great work..would love some input ..thanks.
  • Sunfish House
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We are currently living here, so think a new kitchen is a priority.
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Your daughter is very lucky to have your help, It is a very pretty cottage and I would love to see the Verandah retained along with any fires places etc. Is the rear of the house timber cladding? A new kitchen is a must, Ikea and Bunnings are wonderful plus their timber benches look great and are very affordable. Thank you for kind words about my work and my wonderful sketches, I will try do one for you today. What climate do you live in, cheers

• Sunfish House
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thankyou...we live in bayside, Melbourne
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

How lucky are you, we spent some time in Lovely Beaumauris

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi there, did some scratching with ideas for you.

It would be best to plan to square off the rear of the cottage and if possible extend out over to the side boundary

Re use all existing windows and doors if in good condition to do this.

Keeping kitchen on the r/h wall will allow re use of plumbing and electrics save money. I kind of like the long narrow kitchen as it opens up the space and allows for a longer Island.

Kitchen with or with out small WIP or laundry cupboard, consider rear shed area for small cupboard laundry, water and elec is just on the other side of the wall.

Keep bathroom in same space, saves money

As already suggested plan for a stair case (perfect beside the bath room) for upper rear extension for Master and ensuite using same plumbing as for lower bathroom, saves money.

I have also considered taking part of the Living for a 3rd bedroom/study., depends how many people will be living in the house.

Would love to see the original living with racked ceiling if kept as one room

Certainly keeping all original features to the front of the house including any fireplaces.

And most importantly making sure that your beautiful cottage is able to make changes like a loft style master bedroom and ensuite. cheers

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    6 years ago

I agree with some of above, but need to be careful/mindful of walls on boundary length limitations - have attached an example of a different/similar project simply to demonstrate a few concepts/options/opportunities for these types of scenarios.....point arising out of this is how/what function do you require in the main living as current dimension/flow is arguably larger than required and awkward so agree could possibly utilise some of the space more effectively......where possible/where the opportunity arises I try to get the utility (bathroom etc) areas tucked away and free up primary/areas that have light/outlook for either living or bedrooms.....I also endeavour to avoid where possible any flow/movement interrupting/occurring/splitting through the middle of any particular singular space, unless of course it is divided specifically into separate functions such as lounge &dining, which is why it is critical to get furniture into the picture to resolve the planning properly..........again it all depends upon the particular project goals, do you require 2 living areas? Do you need to 2 bathrooms particularly if you could achieve 3 bedrooms on the one level (which you can!)...many different possibilities here, comes down to your needs/priorities, and as always, balance :)

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

I agree with what you say Paul but seeing that Moonya is very mindful of not spending what they don't have.

Keeping bathrooms/kitchens in place can work really well. The cottage is never going to be a Big house (thank God) but big on charm and will have everything needed within it's foot print especially if they can go the extra space towards the boundary.

• Sunfish House
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thankyou all for your fantastic input and considered opinions...very much appreciated. Not to mention the floor plans and very valid discussions.
    Paul Di Stefano Design, what you say does make sense, but we haven't got the money to go down the full Reno path.

I like your other option of minimal internal cosmetic Reno....and maybe squaring off the back section as discussed by Siriuskey and Okloiuse, and a new kitchen .. can all be done without involving council....and all the time that takes. ( as I will be living here for 12 months..the kitchen will definitely need some work )

At this stage not possible to extend out the side...would involve creating roof etc. .. too costly.
    Both you and siriuskey comment on the intimate scale and appeal of the cottage....that is what made it so appealing.
    I agree the current living space is awkward, and larger than needed....maybe there is potential to give some of the space to one of the front rooms and create some storage ??
    Can you please tell me what software do you use to draw plans....could an amateur use them?.
    Keep up the good work.
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi there, as others have suggested it's always best to have an overall plan to work to, by squaring off the windows near the kitchen and running your new kitchen along the wall with a lovely Island will make that a lovely light filled room. Keeping the plumbing in that corner will make the reno costs less. The bathroom works?, so leaving it where it is won't cost anything.

The change to the kitchen will make a big difference, keeping any doors and windows for later use.

What to draw with, The Pro's use all kinds for 2 & 3D drawings. You can get a Sketchup free version which you can learn to use with online tutorials or do a course.

But for now I just use Paint that's why my drawings aren't pretty and people want to see pretty so they can perhaps visualize what you are trying to show them, but then a great number of people can't visualize.

Have you tried using Ikea or Kaboodle kitchens online to design your kitchen family.

Cheers

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    6 years ago

No problem! Any CAD package will take time to learn. Depends on exactly what you're trying to draw. Sketch-up probably the best free option to at least get started with drawing dimensions accurately, which is the most important thing to be doing. Beware of working with rough/indicative/realestate prepared plans - get the existing conditions established accurately on paper before you try and work out detail resolution.....

Budget is always King, no matter what scale the project. What is important is understanding/knowledge of what particular/specific moves/decisions will cost and generally this requires experience/industry input. Without being 100% sure about the load bearing configuration of the structure it's hard to advise on where/whether to push out/change windows etc because sometimes what you think is a small change can end up being quite costly due to hidden surprises...which is why it's becoming more logical these days to avoid the "middle ground" of working around this and that for arguably minimal gains. The pattern is more either (a) cosmetic only/work within existing structural setup or (b) it's arguably more cost effective/quicker to bite the bullet, demolish and re-build the upgraded and make sure the design gives you no brainer gains........it's a bit sad but it's the reality of increasingly labour costs over taking material costs...there's no sugar coating that one ;)

If you're seriously considering about changing windows/pushing out etc, check with local authorities that you're not falling under a heritage overlay as any external change, regardless of whether it's under the existing roofline or not will still require a planning permission.

Last comment is that there IMO there's some serious cottage cuteness in the existing kitchen, with those interesting timber overhead shelving, that would be a shame to "white-out" with say a standardised kitchen. Maybe all it needs is a freshen/clean up of the lower bench area, perhaps squaring off to remove the acute angle in the corner, putting in drawers to maximise under bench storage, perhaps a slightly wider bench/stool set-up where the angles meet and really minimise the spend as much as possible...adding an island/developing a galley kitchen would practically require more space/pushing out etc, and this really starts a whole knock on effect/chain of questioning of "well if you do this, then you really need to go further an do that" and before you know it scope creep kicks in and $$$ start adding.....Similarly with the bathroom, they're high cost areas. More ideally positioned/zoned with bedrooms and so it would seem sensible either to do minimal cosmetic upgrade in place to freshen up, or if it's a complete make-over, consider the options/opportunity getting it in the right place for the house......seriously, unless you're putting fittings exactly back in the same place and not touching any sub floor plumbing, it will not be a significant cost difference for that particular aspect between a re-shuffle in the same room as opposed to relocating to a better location....particularly if arguably you've freed some space or increased function/practicality in the process.....again, it depends, on what you're wanting to achieve and ultimately how much money you have to spend...

Hope this all helps you thinking it through. Best of luck :)

• Andy Pat
    6 years ago

minor changes for now...keep the front, really attractive...square off the kitchen, keep all cupboards voila

• Sunfish House
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ok, so I've listened to every one re the cottage. Thank you all. Agree it is cute, quaint and charming. We shouldn't be making something it isn't. So for now just extra ikea storage, and paint....maybe straighten sink window space .
    One day the master plan should be, single story....to keep and rework original 4 rooms...and keep and enhance period features. Rework original living spaces, to house bathroom, laundry and wardrobe for master bedroom. Sitting space with fireplace to become cosy lounge....maybe TV could go on wall opposite...( the new bathroom side).
    The existing kitchen, dining, bathroom spaces could a.) be remodelled, or b.) demolished and rebuilt, to create a new kitchen, meals and living space. ....possibly 1.5 metres extra space could be gained to side yard. .....do you think that could work on plan ??
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Good decision moonya, Just live in it for awhile to see how it works. Painting and gardening going forward. If it's allowed down the track taking that 1.5 into a bigger family kitchen space will make a big difference cheers

• oklouise
    6 years ago

adding some extra living space at the side will take away from the lovely courtyard and would not create the occasional guest bedroom that's already available with Siriusky's sliding door partitions in the living area but a loft over the kitchen could add an additional bedroom overlooking the garden and you haven't mentioned if there is rear car access into the yard and if so the option for a carport and or "studio bedroom" at th rear could also be a very cost effective means of adding extra space.....always subject to council regulations and dimensions btw if the kitchen cabinets are in good condition they can be reconfigured with sections having a deeper counter (with void at the back ) to allow for extra depth needed for DW etc and the shallow cabinets can still be a useful space savers in smaller kitchen with a new counter to suit the new arrangements

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

There's always the option of a portable DW which can also double as chopping block, we had one until we renovated with a space for it, simple and easy.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

I must add to that, a portable DW is a good transitional situation, it comes as two tubes that when you want to use it you attach it to the hot and cold water at the sink and plug into power.

This also makes a great moveable island bench which if you add a laminated timber top from Bunnings with an over hang at each side of 30cm will give you a island bench of 120cm which would allow two stools to sit up too.it has to have wheels and two lockable ones stop it from moving.

You can fill it with dishes during the day and move it over near the sink at night to wash, when you build the new kitchen you can then install it cheers

• Sunfish House
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks oklouise....in concept the extra bedroom, lounge could work, however the front rooms are tight, and I feel if one is to be a true master, it needs to borrow space from the lounge and create wardrobes..and move bathroom to that space too. ...mindful to leave some of the courtyard to the side.

Probably need to sketch it up and see how it looks.

Thanks siriuskey..good suggestion re dishwasher...and you answered my other question too ..about where to get one....everyone so helpful..Thankyou.
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

another option could be to convert part of the living area to master bed next to the bathroom with cabinet laundry designed to accommodate possible future stairs then, if/when new upstairs is completed bed 3 could be converted to more living area with back to back fireplace and add upstairs master suite although i suggest the single level home would be quite comfortable with carefully planned kitchen and outdoor areas and the upstairs would have to have such a complicated roof shape especially difficult because of the side boundary that it would not be cost effective unless the location is too good to move elsewhere for more space but my upstairs floorplan is very cute

• Sunfish House
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Wow. Good lateral thinking oklouise... very cost effective way to get bathroom closer to bedroom .. I like the idea thank you.
  • oklouise
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

omitting the upstairs makes the design much simpler, straightening the walls makes space for a better dining area and by using a freestanding island the table can be rotated and used sideways and the island pushed against the rear wall for "crowd" mode, there's a pantry and shower over bath instead of the separate bathtub and this arrangement provides better privacy for the toilet, the laundry has a window for ventilation and could be used as a servery window for courtyard parties, the sliding glass doors in the kitchen gives access to the courtyard and alfresco but will need shading (deciduous vine covered pergola?) in summer. the new master bedroom needs a roof window for light and ventilation, the smaller living area is cosy and ideal for TV watching by the fire and suits the scale of the house

• Sunfish House
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks oklouise, looks good, great way to incorporate a 3rd bedroom. However, I think the living spaces are compromised by achieving this....I would prefer to see the bathroom, laundry utalize this space and a robe for existing bedroom...(is that too much to squeeze into that space?) the other side with the fireplace, certainly would be a nice cosy lounge and the kitchen living dining would be a better size. The addition of a study bench in the plan would add value also. I think by deciding to keep the cottage one story means it's a nice home for one couple or 2 house sharers.
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

the problem with attempting to move the bathroom and laundry into that central area is that the doorways into the new bath and laundry would either have to open off the living room or from the kitchen so where do the kitchen cabinets and the TV have to go? ..the small hallway between the kitchen and living area makes the ideal access for the laundry and bathroom and the arrangement is more about having a bathroom next to a bedroom than having a third bedroom which could also be used as a study or WIW but if you post a rough sketch i'll try and make it fit

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Something else for you to ponder, would suit a Professional couple, Retirees, single parents. Holiday accomodation

The kitchen as is but keeping the wonderful shelving, this kitchen reminds me of a conservatory with all it's glass.

Two bedrooms with access to the bathroom.

Kitchen with a mobile DW with a timber top which can be extended 30cm each side to allow for 2 stools total length 120cm x 60cm

Pantry or laundry in a cupboard.

Living room possibly opened up either side of fireplace and possibly the entrance passage reduced.

A study desk within the living space backing onto the ensuite and wardrobes, cheers