Houzz Logo Print
monwalker

Stairs help please

Em House
6 years ago
Hi there

After thoughts on stairs please.

We currently have solid stairs with storage underneath in our plans (the stairs next to gallery in image). Wandering if we should go for open stairs (modern looking, with gaps between each riser) that you can see through instead?

I’m not particularly keen on having stairs with gaps because I just prefer solid stairs, however, im also conscious the house might just look like too many stairs on entry. A friend of mine said that we should go for the gaps so when you walk in the house and look up towards back of house, you will be able to see right through the stairs to the back area.

Any thoughts? I don’t want to be overwhelmed with stairs upon entry, but also not keen on gaps in stairs (but is this just the expectation of buyers now to have modern stairs?) so I’m just not sure which I would regret most.

Also, if we keep enclosed stairs with storage under, would you extend the wine room out (marked up in green) so that the stairs don’t seem to jut out so much? It makes the place less open but we could counter this by moving the structural wall (also marked in green on image).

Thanks for commenting, appreciated!

Comments (12)