Houzz Logo Print
anna_shaw40

60mm thick benchtops or uneven kickboard?

Anna Shaw
6 years ago

Due to the height of our windows, in order to accommodate the needed bench top height, and also appliances my kitchen design has suggested on of two options. The first would be making the bench 60mm thick. This would allow my integrated dishwasher to sit at a 'normal' level and mean that there would be a consistent kick around the whole kitchen. The second option would be to do a 40 or 20mm bench thickness and lit the integrated dishwasher up to accommodate the fact that the units would have to be taller. What do you think would look better? I know most kitchens are leaning towards thinner bench tops and I am wondering if 60mm is over the top - or would an uneven kick look worse?

Comments (2)

• oklouise
    6 years ago

prefer the uniform counter thickness as i think the uneven kickboard will be less noticeable and it should only have to be uneven for the small section directly under the dishwasher

• PRO
    Blue Tea Kitchens and Bathrooms
    6 years ago

Hi Anna, I think having uneven kickboards would look worse than a 60mm bench top. We have just released a new article which features some kitchens that use thicker bench tops. Chunkier bench tops can look striking if you get the design combination right.

https://www.bluetea.com.au/how-to-create-a-modern-farm-style-kitchen/