Houzz Logo Print
webuser_896520

Garage door colour

HU-896520
6 years ago

I am after suggestions on garage doors. I am finding it hard to pick because it is a triple and very big that will change the front of the house look. The house render colour is paperbark. The driveway still needs to be sealed and will be slightly darker in colour. The driveway is eucalyptus exposed ag.

I could go with:

1. Surfmist white to match the fascia

2. Wallaby (Grey) to match the roof

3. A designer garage that cost a lot more?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments (47)

• Crissy
    6 years ago
    what color is your front door?
    HU-896520 thanked Crissy
  • annb1997
    6 years ago

I wondered that too. It almost looks blue; it really stands out nicely.

I'll look up what the aggregate will look like, unless you have photo, webuser?

Had you considered either timber doors or timber-look doors for garages? I don't see the height diff in garage openings an issue at all. The roof design and pitches match, and with your 2nd story roofs visible, it all looks fine to me.

HU-896520 thanked annb1997
  • annb1997
    6 years ago

What colour are your window frames? Wallaby Grey? If you are not intested in timber garage doors, what about matching them to the window frames?

• Lyn Huppatz
    6 years ago
    Beautiful house. Surfmist white would look good...nothing too dark.
    HU-896520 thanked Lyn Huppatz
  • annb1997
    6 years ago

Seeing these all together, I agree with Lyn re Surfmist. Wallaby might break up the width of facade too much while Surfmist will allow the substancial width of house to shine.

• annb1997
    6 years ago

Substantial! I can spell...:/

• HU-896520
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The front door needs to be painted. I think surfmist for the front door then the grey for the security door. The windows are nearly the same colour as the roof. Thanks everyone.

• HU-896520
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like this garage design but I think in surfmist. Depends on the price.

• annb1997
    6 years ago

That is a striking design. Best wishes, webuser.

• cloudpants
    6 years ago
    I googled 'garage door surfmist' and this was one of the first images which appeared. Not too far off what yours might look like.
    HU-896520 thanked cloudpants
  • User
    6 years ago
    Personally I think garage doors should be the same colour as roofing/guttering...
    Surfmist will stand out too much, and get quite dirty...
    Would also think about swapping the pre-primed door for a nice timber one and oiling it.
  • girlguides
    6 years ago
    Don’t go all surfmist as will drain out paperbark and off balance house. Why not paperbark garage as roof so big it best not to go roof colour else would overwhelm house. What about paperbark for high end garage and surfmist for middle to balance out house whilst giving some light contrast which you could then pick up on front door
  • PRO
    Jigsaw Projects
    6 years ago

I would suggest timber look garage doors. I don't personally think the surfmist and the colour of the render really go that well together.

HU-896520 thanked Jigsaw Projects
  • Leonie Van der Meer
    6 years ago

I would go for timber garage doors.

HU-896520 thanked Leonie Van der Meer
  • Bernadette Staal
    6 years ago

simple - match the roof (can't go wrong)

HU-896520 thanked Bernadette Staal
  • PRO
    Daniel Lindahl Architecture
    6 years ago

Hi webuser,

I would try to keep the front door and garage doors in a similar colour scheme. Natural oiled timber would look great and add warmth and life to the house.

Otherwise I would go for darker colours on all doors to keep that same massing, with clear definition of the openings. Wallaby, or even darker, e.g. Ironstone. Surfmist or any other lighter colour would just make the garage section look too monolithic in my opinion.

If you use panel lift doors (sectional) you can even introduce translucent panels in them for a more elegant look.

HU-896520 thanked Daniel Lindahl Architecture
  • PRO
    Shoalhaven Garage Doors
    6 years ago

Hi Webuser,

Can I suggest that you go on to http://designcentre.bnd.com.au/ this link will take you to a webpage that will allow you to upload the above image and play around with styles and colours.

The colour on the design centre provides a good idea to what the door may look like.

From experience with helping customer choose doors, i would go a timber look door.

I hope this helps you out.

HU-896520 thanked Shoalhaven Garage Doors
  • PRO
    Cipriano Italian Home Design
    6 years ago

I would do a wood or wood look to highlight all elements you have carefully chosen

HU-896520 thanked Cipriano Italian Home Design
  • PRO
    GBH property sales, styling and design consultant
    6 years ago
    Have you considered panel lift sectional, ones that have little windows at the top or tinted strips, they look great alternated with timber look sections and can provide some internal light during the day..
    HU-896520 thanked GBH property sales, styling and design consultant
  • nancymiller48
    6 years ago

Go timber! And I would dislike light coloured doors!

HU-896520 thanked nancymiller48
  • A B
    6 years ago

Timber for sure as above, or sometimes they are made of a faked timber for better durability, it will go with the limestone colour render and stops it all looking too cold.

• A B
    6 years ago

HU-896520 thanked A B
    6 years ago
    The first thing I thought of was timber. I was happy to see others thought the same.
  • m_mdimond
    6 years ago

Can I make a comment on the colour of the timber above, I feel that it overpowers the other colour of the home and maybe if you went for more light grey tone timber it would look great altogether without 'sticking' out I feel you want a theme that looks classy and compliments the rest of the home so while I agree with not going too dark the timber above looks to orange/yellow to me and kinda sticks out like a sore thumb (in my opinion) I am a retired art restorer and have a great sympathy for colour so offering my opinion without meaning to offend anyone else as I realise that the opinions are always subjective to personal taste so I am offering my opinion as well hope you find it helpful.

• annb1997
    6 years ago

I tend to agree. Maybe something more like these examples?

• m_mdimond
    6 years ago

I had more of a grey tone wood in mind to really make the whole area flow right:

the pic below has more the colour I had in mind would look wonderful with your home, you don't have to have the windows although they would let more light into that area hope this helps this is the first time I have tried to add a picture, so hope it works.

HU-896520 thanked m_mdimond
  • m_mdimond
    6 years ago

nope it didn't so have a look on pinterest for grey tones timber garage doors and see what I mean

there you go this time I worked it out, you can tell I am a novice at adding pics but hey I worked this out (I think) we'll see when I post lol

• m_mdimond
    6 years ago

YAY it worked, now I have a new skill to add, much different than when I did all the painting artworks!!

• annb1997
    6 years ago

That grey does look good!

• m_mdimond
    6 years ago

Thankyou annb1997 I appreciate your comment to me. :)

• HU-896520
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like this garage door but not the white colour as it is too bright. Perhaps a transparent colour.

• HU-896520
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Like this?

• HU-896520
    Original Author
    6 years ago

or this???

• weiblich
    6 years ago

A faux wood

• Dawn Park
    6 years ago
    I would go with wallaby grey
    HU-896520 thanked Dawn Park
  • Dawn Park
    6 years ago
    If you have too change house colour then the grey would still go with whatever colour you choose for the house down the track
    HU-896520 thanked Dawn Park
  • Tilly
    6 years ago
    The dark colour on the guttering would look great
    HU-896520 thanked Tilly
  • HU-896520
    Original Author
    6 years ago

A quick cut and paste. I think this is what we will get. (style) Ignore the reflection in the top panels.

• PRO
    Daniel Lindahl Architecture
    6 years ago

Webuser, that looks good. Now give some more thought about the panels divisions. 4x4 in the door to the left looks good, but the right one would look better if it was 3x5 as in 3 panels wide x 5 high. then it's panels would be of about the same proportion as the others and that would tie both doors together better.

HU-896520 thanked Daniel Lindahl Architecture
  • HU-896520
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Daniel, great suggestion. Kind regards, Tracey

• atcomas
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I suggest the colour of your gutters & window frames (if they are the same colour?) i.e. a darker colour. Light colours, especially Surfmist, tend to stand out and block the depth of view. The viewer will look "at" it. Dark colours recede and you tend to look "into" them and they are more inviting, They also add warmth. Keep in mind any colour significantly different from the render colour will stand out and become a dominant feature of the total house appearance. Hence why custom doors are gaining popularity as the styles can be one colour and the infill panels can be a myriad of colours and textures.

Having trouble choosing from the standard Colorbond range of colours? Consider getting a Dulux powdercoated colour. They cost a fraction more but deliver a whole range of colours. They also offer better fade & corrosion protection especially if near coastal areas. You can also get the tracks on the inside powdercoated in black which looks neat. Custom spray painted colours or a vinyl/rubber "wrap" similar to the trend used on changing the colours of cars is emerging as an alternative.

Don't get an embossed pattern on the panels that is either rectangles or squares. They are dated designs. Also, a smooth finish will show up an imperfection in the metal. The Cosmopolitan or Wide-Line styles (www.asapgaragedoors.com.au) suit rendered house finishes.

Solid wood doors are a lot of upkeep (to stop fading and weathering if not sealed properly), are very heavy, and require a stronger motor. Colorbond colors Caoba and Cedar wood-look metal doors like all colours fade over time and can look daggy especially the Cedar. Custom doors are expensive. Be aware that many of the polycarbonate infill door panels (see-through & opaque) can get condensation in the hollow inners which eventually becomes mouldy. Sectional (panel) doors have many moving parts which need to be regularly serviced i.e annually.

• Julie Herbert
    6 years ago
    I really love the timber doors, even though the panel doors are lovely my first thought on seeing them reminded me of fire brigade station doors, but I am sure they would look beautiful in a solid colour. lovely house.
  • janemacdougall
    5 years ago

Hi, can you let me know what you ended up choosing for the garage colour? I've got the same dilemma. Trying to choose between Wallaby or Surfmist...

• HU-896520
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I went with custom doors. We used wallaby for the frame and a frosted Perspex for the panels. I love it.

• legendaryflame
    5 years ago
    That looks lovely! You made a great choice!
  • BA
    3 years ago