Soundproofing Internal Sliding Barn Doors

kesta
October 30, 2017
last modified: October 31, 2017

A couple of years ago we finished renovating our house. We turned our semi open-plan living room into a music room/library and installed a large internal sliding barn door to enable the room to be separated from the kitchen and rest of the house (previously there was no door). Unfortunately, although it looks great, it's not practical from a noise point of view. There is a large (1 1/2' - 4cm) gap on 3 sides of the sliding door (top and sides) so any music practice that goes on (cello, piano, French horn) reverberates through the whole house. What do others recommend we do to sound proof the door while still ensuring it looks as nice as it currently does?

This shot shows the gap fro the music room side.

Here's what it looks like from the music room. The door is the width it is so that it looks right when fully open behind the piano.

This is the door from the kitchen side. You'll see from the previous photo that the door is quite a bit wider than the opening, so I think it would be possible to fix some sort of soundproofing strip to the kitchen side of the door without it being noticeable from either side. The question is, what to use for such a wide gap, and how to fix it onto the door.

Looking forward to some 'sound' advice! Thanks.

Comments (5)

• oklouise

check out noise insulation on line for local experts but the best option i can suggest is to change the barn door and any other doors into the music room to simple hinged solid core doors with foam gap fillers attached around the edges ...sound is like air and water and will seep through the smallest gaps so the answer is to close all the gaps...start with the doors and then consider extra insulation in the walls and ceiling...the walls of bookshelves should help and perhaps sound insulating panels can be installed behind the bookshelves and extended around all the other walls... only consolation is the quality of the noise in your house would be so much better than the average noise pollution...btw all the rooms and your musician look lovely

• siriuskey

It does look lovely, but certainly not sound proof, you could try having an extra piece of timber fitted to both ends of the door ( and top) to thicken the door to try and narrow the gap, it should still be able to slide easily. Other than that a solid closing door will be the best option cheers

• annb1997

Is the door solid core? If not, a solid door would help somewhat, but would have to check the track can withstand extra weight. We have a couple of very heavy solid hardwood doors in steel frames which run on steel tracks. The bignheavy doors do dampen noise but certainly doesn't eliminate it entirely.

Heavy drapery, rugs, soft furnishings, tapestries and large textile wall hangings will help to absorb sound from within the room, but still won't entirely eliminate it.

If you don't already have carpet runners or rugs in your kitchen, adding some will also will help. Same goes for any other rooms which adjoin the music room/library.

I knew a couple who soundproofed their small music room when they built their house. Their son played drums. As I recall, they used a special acoustic plasterboard for the walls, and the floor was carpeted. I think it helped considerably.

there are also acoustic panels/tiles that can be installed on the ceiling, but this may be more trouble than it's worth. I'm not sure but the installation might be something like a suspended ceiling.

• Jan Dobson
    Hey Kesha, this is not my area of expertise but you might search through commercial sound proofing solution sites (think restaurant acoustic solutions, for example). It may be a rolling noise board like this might help http://www.soundblock.com.au/sound-proofing-products/sound-absorbers or perhaps sound absorbing foil could be made into a pull up banner. Just a thought
  • nconco

Did you ever find a soundproofing solution to your problem? I'm having the same issue and would love to know