Houzz Logo Print
firsthome

Adding weatherboard to small section of front of house

firsthome
6 years ago

Hi there! I just bought my first home, definitely a fixer-upper, and I currently have an eyesore of an unfinished front porch. The house is in the older weatherboard workers cottage style, however the front has been added on and is unfinished so I need to do something asap. The other 3 sides of the house are all white weatherboard, and I want to go for that simple and quaint white weatherboard look. As you can see from the photos - there is really only a very minimal section to clad, once you take into account the windows. The windows on the left side of the entrance I will also be replacing with French doors, so there will be even less area to clad. The right side will keep the same amount of window space but have more traditional white framed windows rather than the louver glass. I want to know what the best weatherboard material option there is, taking into account: a) it needs to be white b) it is undercover so does not need to be especially weather resistant/ hardy c) a very small area to clad; and d) I would like a simple and affordable option (there are many other 'need-to-fix' parts of the house competing for funds and energy). Please see photos! (I'll also be painting the lattice white, and down the track having some sort of arch/ arbour in the middle to visually soften the solar water panel on the roof). Should I go hardwood or look at modern non-wood varieties? Should I try and find some seconds taken off demolitions and recycle them? Or do I just go into Bunnings and get something basic and DIY-able? Is this going to be a relatively cheap project?

All pointers appreciated!

Thank you.

Comments (15)