Houzz Logo Print
mipanda

Can houzzers help me renovate our 1980s kitchen?

Miranda S
6 years ago

We're in our new (1980-built) home and keen to get started on making it our very own space.

The kitchen at the moment is a small U shape, with about 3/5 of the room carpeted and used as a living space. We want to turn the entire room [which is about 6.5m x 4m] into one big kitchen. I've attached a few inspiration pics to show the vibe we're going for. We have purchased one item so far, a 2.5m stonemill table from 1825 interiors (https://www.1825interiors.com.au/stonemill-2500-dining-table). Bit unsure what seating I'd like to pair it with - benches are a bit awk to use and fabric would get ruined quickly in our household.

I'd love to get some feedback on the best way to do this. I guess I'm hoping to hit around $15,000 total spend on this project including flooring but we're a bit flexible. We had one company come out and quote $9500 for about 4m of new cabinetry and replacing benchtops on the existing part, or $11500 to do it all in Caesarstone. I haven't had any other quotes to compare this to yet to know if it's a good deal or not, but have a supplier coming out on Tuesday to do a quote.

Discussing it at work today, my boss told me that if we go with Kaboodle cabinets from Bunnings, he'll come help us install them as he's pretty handy and has done it before. He said to not get Ikea cabinets as the back panel on them is pretty thin. I'd love to hear some more opinions on flatpack cabinets?

Aside from cabinets, I would very much like to strip the mint green paint off the ceiling beams and stain the wood. They are very rough to the touch and have been painted with a glossy paint - what are my chances of being able to restore these with a chemical paint stripper? Should I cut my losses and paint them a brown woody colour instead?

Comments (28)