Houzz Logo Print
7laura

Need advice on decorating my bedroom

7laura
6 years ago

Hi, i have literally just bought a new bed, spread & picture. i'm in need of some furniture that will suit the bedroom (side table, desk, lamp, mat, end of bed seat etc.) would love some advice and furniture ideas and locations in NSW that sell the products, i'm thinking, white, darker greys theme. Thanks

Comments (51)

• KK1000
    6 years ago
    If it’s not rental paint the wall behind the bed darker colour or get some glamorous wall paper . Window is a bit small , to make a statement hang heavy curtain from under the ceiling and make it twice as wide as the window in complementary colour with the feature wall.
  • 7laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

i had a darker wall but got rid of it. i'm into the lighter colours (wanting to keep the walls one colour).

• Related Discussions

Need help to decorate main bedroom

Q

Comments (2)
    If there is any way you can add a photo to the comments here, it would greatly help our community give you useful advice. (You can use our apps if you have a smartphone with a camera - http://houzz.com.au/mobileapps ) What style are you going for? I had similar coloured wall behind my bed once and two blonde wood bedside tables and matching bedside lamps did the trick.
    ...See More

Artwork/wall decor for my guest bedroom

Q

Comments (38)
    Hi, Love the artwork. Because they're so small, how about putting them vertically, side by side on the wall where the bookcase is. I'd either take out the bookcase, or paint it white. If space is an issue in the room, you could maybe replace the bookcase with a small ottoman/ pouf in a textured plain fabric. This gives guests a place to lay their clothes at night or to set an overnight bag. You could consider a LARGE, maybe hectagonal grey framed mirror over the bed to echo the lines in the bedding. The bedding has a lot of pattern and a mirror may be all you need. Most of all, don't rush. Take your time and enjoy the process.
    ...See More

I need some advice on main bedroom with ensuite layout

Q

Comments (20)
    It would be hard to go past OKL plan, This layout gives a partner sharing the room a space to come in late or go early without disturbing each other by moving the door along the wall which allows for extra robe space that can be closed off with the bathroom via a sliding door. The large bedroom window could be shuttered to provide an attractive bedhead, privacy and light when needed The wall on the other side of the bed could have builtin storage on either end of a desk/vanity which could be closed off with bifold or retractable doors. A TV could be mounted/recessed within the bathroom wall cheers
    ...See More

Decorating help needed for master bedroom

Q

Comments (12)
    Julie you are a superstar!! I need you to come and decorate my whole house please ☺️ I love those photos with the extra large artwork. I think that will be an easier option than installing wallpaper too. I adore the timber/marble bedsides in your last photo. I’m going to see if I can find something like those. Definitely will be buying some luxe bed linen also. Thanks again for taking the time to send me such great ideas xxx
    ...See More
  • julie herbert
    6 years ago
    Some gorgeous ideas for your bedroom, love adding pink to grey, your bedside tables don’t need to match , a lovely rug under bed looks great too, add a beautiful lamp , flowers , plant .. gorgeous
  • 7laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm struggling to find a side table with drawers & a desk also. i'm not a fan of pink. the colours i was after were like white, light grey, dark grey, etc (that colour palate). hmm its so hard to start from scratch, i having ideas but can't seem to implement them

• designdillemas3
    6 years ago
    If you are feeling overwhelmed it is best to start with something like a bedside table and work from there..
  • designdillemas3
    6 years ago
    Pick a style and then try to get things to match. Do u like any of these styles?
  • 7laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

hmm... i really wanted a side table with drawers but also off the floor (so i can vacuum underneath the side table.)

• designdillemas3
    6 years ago
    ?
  • 7laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

hmmm... i'm thinking one of these side tables? which one you guys think will suit?

• JE C
    6 years ago
    2nd one looks good
  • Julia
    6 years ago

I love grey but it can look very institutional. A darker grey above the bedhead would look fab BUT I'd also be looking for some texture , in a sand or ash colour. Here are some suggestions - link at least two of these things by colour or texture - rug, bed throw, cushions, drapes/blinds( maybe the fine bamboo kind), the frame of a picture....if not adding any greenery (either fake or real) add a picture or photograph of some - on a subconscious level, referencing the outdoors is very calming, great for a bedroom...

• macyjean
    6 years ago

Just goes to show how personal it is. I really liked the suggestion of a feature wall. On the other hand I really like the window and wouldn't do anything to disguise that. I really like the combination of grey with pink.

But you said you want to keep the walls the same colour and you don't like pink. Fair enough. I agree with the comment that grey can look very institutional. Are there any colours apart from pink that you'd think about introducing? Otherwise I think the advice to go for texture is the right track to take.

• JE C
    6 years ago
    Hello, if you have started looking for a rug , I just noticed some nice black and white tribal textured ones on the Miss Amara websiite, they had some similar to Julie Herbert's 2nd pic and I think they would work well with your scheme.
    7laura thanked JE C
  • JE C
    6 years ago
    Hi again, I know you are keen to stick with grey, but given the colour of your floor tiles, perhaps just bringing in a tiny bit of sandy colour in a bed cushion or throw would add a bit of interest and tie the floor in.
  • Jan Perry
    6 years ago

It's a small space and needs light colours. Try white. Try pale pinks, blues, greys or yellow. Just keep it light. With black not grey accents..

• Young Reach
    6 years ago
    Hey, what do you like and dislike about this bedroom?
    7laura thanked Young Reach
  • Jan Perry
    6 years ago

Firstly, it needs to be in color for me to see it properly.

You could separate the pictures or get a peaceful scene. The ceiling light is too low, or should go altogether.

I really like the bed and throw spread. Looks very thought out. Still can't see the colors to assess the floor rug. I'm doing well in Design home; an online game. You would love it, I think.

• 7laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I love every single thing about this room except the colour of the chair and the dark side table. Other then that i love this room

• Young Reach
    6 years ago
    @janzoz271 This colour is in colour. It's a black and white room, like @7laura liked.

@7laura I would change the light to something like this (picture below) and change the bedside tables to the 2nd picture you posted above. The picture I posted doesn't have a headboard so I would buy a light grey one.
  • Young Reach
    6 years ago
    @7laura Can you please take more pictures of your room. Like the wall parallel to the bedhead etc.
  • 7laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Current bedroom update. * new side table Need some bedroom design inspo

(the fan is temporary, will be going tomorrow).

• User
    6 years ago
    They look great, try some of the ideas that houzzers posted above to give your bedroom a luxe look, choose some beautiful lamps to set your theme, add some gorgeous cushions and throw, a special chair, a large rug for under your bed and a fab piece of art and it will look great
  • julie herbert
    6 years ago
    You could try a standard lamp on your table and a floor lamp on the other side, texture on the bed, could even bring in colour from tiles to tie in the look, love your elephant painting, maybe carry the theme with a larger wildlife one on wall, could be quite stunning
  • 7laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

should i do black floor lamp? i was thinking white floor lamp and desk. what sort of bed accessary colours should i add? should i add like a end of bed blanket box sort of thing or leave as is. i want a rug under my bed, but not sure what sort?

i'm struggling to find a desk with drawers (That is nice and white) in australia?

• User
    6 years ago

Hi Laura,

Lots of good points have been made by others, such as incorporating black elements, using curtains to add balance and the illusion of a larger window, as well as adding statement lighting. I would recommend a rounded bedside lamp to soften up the look. For the rug I would suggest one with a small repeating pattern to suit the size of the room. It should pair well with a mixture of textures - something that looks great in the clean and neutral palette you seem to lean towards. Here are a couple of rough mock-ups:

First photo:

Rug from RugVista

Chair from IKEA

Basket from Temple&Webster

Lamp from Light2You

Second photo:

Rug from RugVista

Chair from IKEA

Art Print from Society6

Lamp from Lights2You

• 7laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow is this an app you have? Could you share what it is? Great to see visual ideas

• User
    6 years ago
    Very cool RugVista, some great ideas, Laura you have some great Houzsers giving great ideas hope you have been inspired , check ebay for your desk, some great white one's on there atm, adding black will give an element of drama, looks beautiful paired with your grey bedding, look forward to seeing what you do.
  • User
    6 years ago

Thanks Julie. And Laura - it's Photoshop CC. Not the most straight forward to use but as far as I know it's the best way to achieve the right proportions and personalized look. There are some decent free alternatives out there if you aren't able to get it.

• User
    6 years ago
    oops!! my phone is auto correcting ,' Houzzers' are the most inspirational advisors, great ideas for you Laura, happy decorating.
  • 7laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What apps would you recommend rugvista?

• User
    6 years ago
    Personally I would recommend GIMP as a good photoshop alternative but you may be able to find something more appropriate with a google search, a few that I have heard are good include Sketch and Paint.net though I have no personal experience with the two. Also I would recommend trying to find some YouTube tutorials to help you get started.
  • 7laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

any good stores in Australia where i can purchase a great white desk with drawers (that is not a flatpack, which comes already joint together?) it is so hard? i would love the desk to be made of two pack (not shiney, matte) :). any other advice for my room would be great! i'm still so confused lol

• JE C
    6 years ago
    You could try Domayne, Pottery Barn, West Elm, Harvey Norman depending on where you live?
  • 7laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hmmm.. i've tried so many 'normal' stores in Australia but they often don't stock nice desks that are white, with drawers and are already assembled that is matte Lol.

• JE C
    6 years ago
    Sometimes Its hard to find what you want! Also maybe Freedom or Provincial home livings.
  • JE C
    6 years ago
    Some nice ones at Coco Republic too
  • daniellemcguckin
    6 years ago
    Floor rug to soften starkness, biiig picture for pattern and some colour differentiation, layer layer layer. Have fun!
  • 7laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

New photo added. Need advice now on decor. Hmmm... so tricky. The room needs zing!

• julie herbert
    6 years ago
    Now you need to add the zing in texture, your favourite colour, cushions, throws, lovely plant large artworkif you look back at some of the ideas the housers have posted I think you will get lots of inspiration, love the desk.
  • Young Reach
    6 years ago
    Maybe one or two floating shelves? With some cool accessories.
  • Young Reach
    6 years ago
    Also, a rug and chair would be a good idea.
  • 7laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Should i rearrnge the furniture? Like the layout (maybe bed between window, side table of left of the bed, etc) Or leave as is? What sort of pillows n chair do you think? Im also after a side table digital clock that suits?

• User
    6 years ago
    Arrangement looks fine, check out freedom furniture or Adairs for all your accessories, you will get chair, cushions, throw, clock and maybe a lamp for desk and sidetable.
  • 7laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

i'm just not sure where to go from here? so many amazing suggestions but so confused haha. i'm looking at the room and i feel it looks plain. The bed looks sad. thats probably why i was thinking of rearranging the room? i was thinking of moving the bed between the windows (where the desk is) put the desk where the side table is (purchase a chair), move the side table where the floor lamp is (right next to where i was thinking of moving the bed) and maybe leaving the floor lamp where is or on the other side of the bed. hmmm.... or leaving as is.... lol

• julie herbert
    6 years ago
    I love your description Laura, love the Hmm can you send a photo, also did you want a desk chair or a bit more bedroom looking, can you post a photo of room showing windows
  • 7laura
    Original Author
    6 years ago

More photos

• julie herbert
    6 years ago
    I think how you have set it up looks gorgeous; but you have the option for change when you need a different look, whatever you purchase will go either way. I would go how it is, could look lovely Laura.
  • Young Reach
    6 years ago
    The bed needs more pillows with texture and patterns. Add black highlights in the accessories. Also get a lamp for the side table and a tray for accessories etc candles, vase. A few accessories for the desk like a hand-shaped jewelry holder etc. The things that will make the room less boring will be a rug with a visually appealing and exciting pattern (not a solid colour), a chair (the more interesting the better) , new bedding will create a focal point and accessories for the side table and desk.
    Go to freedom or adairs etc and they'll be staff members to help you choose out furniture, accessories, bedding etc. Show them your pictures and speak to them and they'll know how to help.
  • Young Reach
    6 years ago
    Keep the layout as it is, it's the best for the room.