Houzz Logo Print
jodie_narik

What colour should my exterior be?

Jodes
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I really need help with exterior colours!

We are doing a ranch style home with verandah, it has Colorbond Wallaby gutter with zinc roof and white facia currently.

I was set to paint the main part of house in Colorbond Dune, same as our shed which is located approx 30 metres from the house. But I’m starting to go off the Dune. In different light it looks grey (which I like) and at other times it looks a bit sandy and very light (not so keen on).

I love grey and white together but unsure whether this would clash with the Dune shed, or is the distance far enough away?

Do you think Wallaby (roller door on shed) all over with white trims would be too dark? (It also seems to throw brown occasionally, yuk)

Ideas please!

Comments (21)

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi there, What colour doors and windows are you using and what climate do you live in

• Related Discussions

What colour should I paint the wall where my peacock will hang?

Q

Comments (38)
    Lovely print. I had a peacock feather print and I had a colour called glacier Grey behind. Think it was Wattyl . Again like your other walls it is a greenish grey but darker. I also had my prints on a charcoal wall..loved that too. As you said the picture ties in with the chairs and now it's not necessary to add more matching colours. I'd buy a couple of sample pots and paint large pieces of cardboard. With the other walls I would consider painting them in whisper white (Dulux) a very universal colour that ties in nicely with all colours.
    ...See More

Help! Which exterior colours should I choose?

Q

Comments (65)
    Thank you so much, Julie. I thought you would be interested in the end result, given how much encouragement and advice you so generously gave me. :-) I do love it. It has made such a difference and I think (fingers crossed) the landscaping will give it the finishing touch. We are reroofing the pergola, so will post photos when that is completed. The gazebo looks great after its facelift, too.
    ...See More

What colour should I update the outside of my home to?

Q

Comments (34)
    Thanks guys for the recommendation . Here are the sample paints against the floor board . Leaning towards natural white and casper white 1/4 . But since casper white is cool tone . Has any one mix warm floor and cool color wall ? And then grey pebble 1/4 for bedrooms .
    ...See More

What colour should I paint my house?

Q

Comments (34)
    Dear Creatively Challenged , I can recommend Dulux Colour Consultants, I gave up after about 5 sample pots . At the time it cost me $150 and if I used dulux paints I could claim a full refund . That was 12 years ago . I didn’t realise at the time just how good they were , the colours are still in fashion but it’s ready for another paint job for sure. It was such a relief to have someone in who is trained and fully understands colours and fashion and what goes with what . I finally stopped stressing about it and got the job done ✅
    ...See More
  • Jodes
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks so much for your help iNZspire. I’ll get some sample pots and start painting away.

I really wish I had left the gutter the same colour as the roof. I can see myself painting it a different colour down the track!!

My intention is to have white windows and trims, door was going to be wallaby to tie in with the gutter, roller door also in wallaby.

I prefer the look of the cooler grey with white trim but the shed in certain lights looks a warm earthy/sand colour at times but at other times does look quite cool (I think it looked cooler on the day I saw the colours and picked them).
  • Jodes
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sorry, we live in country western Victoria (Australia) on acreage.
  • PRO
    iNZspire
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You're very welcome Jodes. With your sample pots, ask for draw cards (Resene do them not sure about other paint shops.) The draw cards come in different sizes, so I would suggest that you get the biggest size, paint your sample pots on, one sample pot per draw card. Place the sample pot painted draw cards where that colour is possibly going to be, look at them in different natural light, this will enable you to see the bigger picture of how the colours will work! Good luck, excited to see your final decision!

• Sharon Fevola
    6 years ago

Hi Jodes, we just renovated a country home and had the same dilemma with colours. The existing roof and garage door were/are CB Woodland Grey and we tossed around a few colours before deciding on CB Dune for the walls (rendered) and CB Surfmist for windows/trims photo attached. I stressed over the same issue of the differing colour tones depending on the light and definitely worried about the possible pink/sandy/brown tone that looked like it might be but once it was done it looked fabulous. The Dune definitely never looks brown or sandy it is just differing shades of grey depending on the light and the Surfmist (white) is perfect with it. Wallaby would actually be a better colour with it all I'd think, we inherited the Woodland Grey, Hope this helps in some way. Going to be a fabulous home when done. Good Luck. Sharon

• Jodes
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sharon that looks beautiful!!

I really love the colours together. The Dune looks a lovely grey there!! Perhaps it doesn’t change as much being on a render vs the Colorbond?

I’m going to get some sample pots and start painting away.

It seems to be 50/50 whether the shed should match the house or not.

I need to do a poll lol
  • Sharon Fevola
    6 years ago

Thanks Jodes. Re the shed, we live on acerage as well and have the big shed, not as big as yours though, that is huge! Our shed is dark Woodland Grey to match the surrounding garden/trees and hide it as much as possible. Personally, I have never been a fan of matching the shed with the house, your home should be getting all the attention not the shed. Because the shed is huge I would keep it dark, say all Wallaby and plant around it to soften that big steel structure. This way the shed is still linked by the common colour of Wallaby. Sample pots and some good websites that offer visulisation tools are a great start. Good luck, happy painting!

• Jodes
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The shed is already up. It’s Dune with Wallaby trims.

That’s why I’m not sure if I should stick with Dune for the house or go a different grey.

I’m leaning towards doing the house more like this photo. It’s the shed in Dune, this shows how grey it is in shade. When the sun is shining on it it’s more creamy/beige.

Try and get a cooler grey rather than the warmth of the lighter colour of Dune. Hopefully that makes sense!
  • girlguides
    6 years ago
    I prefer warm greys like dune and wallaby but if you don’t try shale Grey - go on cb visualiser tool plus I’ve never heard of anyone matching gutter to front door as gutters are not meant to be a house feature whereas doors are so go any colour you like for front door
  • Jennifer Bradley
    6 years ago

Personally I dislike all greys (don't ask), but I'd add something about choosing. Do get your sample pots and test in a variety of days - cloudy, sunny etc. We recently bought a townhouse and decided to paint the dining and lounge to highlight our furniture and paintings. I tested the paint chips till I was blue in the face, and ensured I went lighter than I wanted at my husband's suggestion - when painted the dining looks pink, not the terracotta we wanted - but now we've moved in and put up the paintings, the colour changes; most of the time it's just right behind the paintings, other times the pinkiness is apparent. So just give yourself a bit of testing and see what you really like. After all you have to live with it and all the pictures on screen don't really tell you what happens on the walls etc.

• KK1000
    6 years ago
    I must say buy as many paint samples as you need to get the colour you really like. I have just decided on colour for my living room, it has windows on south, north and east, it was a nightmare. I have about 20 pots of paint. They all look different at different times of the day and different weather . So don’t go by photos you see , test it yourself. Outside all colours look much lighter so don’t be afraid to try darker shades.
  • pamackenziequilts
    6 years ago

Everyone has brilliant suggestions. Definitely get those sample pots & test before you decide. Question? Are you having weatherboards? or render? or other? I am thinking of the dust that will ultimately settle on the surface, every surface (I know, I live on a dirt road) if your choice of colour is too light or too dark you will be constantly sweeping or hosing your house down, specially the window sills. I have been in the same dilemma over colour & have finally decided to closely match the clay colour of the road so my house doesn't show the dust toooo much. Just a consideration.

• Jodes
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Pamackenziequilts that’s a brilliant thought!

We do live on a dirt road, a reasonable distance off it but I’m guessing there will still be some dust.

Definitely something to consider, the Dune might not be such a bad choice after all.

Thankyou
  • gwyn5
    6 years ago

I understand your dilemma. Consider going 'out there' with colour, especially in a country setting. I have a golden brick house with, now, Burnt Capsicum (orange) timber extensions. It is outstanding. Google American houses, Canadian houses for inspiration. Step up gal, be brave. You will not be disappointed. Ditch those dull greys and tans.

• gwyn5
    6 years ago

Alternativley, you could consider Dune, strength 3 or 4, to tie in with the shed. The shed then becomes secondry to the main house. Either way, a dark colour for the house so you don't disappear into the landscape

• Jodes
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thankyou.
    Do you think dark houses with light roof look ok together? You seem to see mainly light with light or dark roof with light house, not the other way.
    I like the idea of Dune but stronger in depth.
  • gwyn5
    6 years ago

Dark Dune would have to be checked for 'brownness'. Google Dark grey houses with zinc roof and white trim. See what you think. Dont rush and dont worry about the shed. Tree it in.

• edwinas
    6 years ago

I love that you have gone for a zinc roof on shed and house. With zinc there is no issues with fading and mould and the matching roofs are enough to match your house and shed. Also it is timeless and leaves more options if you change your mind down the track about wall colour. Like you I am also on a country block and had the same dillema when building my home a few years back. My shed is Jasper with zinc roof and guttering. I debated for ages about painting my house shades to match jasper. Someone said to me.....don't make your house an extension of your shed!! So glad I listened. I painted our house a green similar to coloubond mangrove and went for zinc roof and guttering. Everyone went berserk about the zinc roof and guttering (and the green) when I suggested it, but it looks wonderful!.... and very quality. The brown undertones in the green and jasper brown compliment well. The house also has zinc window frames.

You want your house colours to look nice next to shed and also you want the house to catch your eye sooner, but not look too matchy.

My suggestion is that you go for zinc guttering on the house to match roof, and introduce a different colour to your house that has grey undertones to look nice next to the shed. Hope this helps.

I'm still loving my outside colour choices. (The inside ones are a different story and Im ready to get the beushes and rollers out again.) Good luck!

• Jodes
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    This is what I’m leaning towards.

Haymes Charcoal Grey. White windows, add in some black features (coach lights, pots).

Hopefully it should come together ok!
  • LesleyH
    6 years ago

Surfmist for windows would tie it in.