Houzz Logo Print
circa_concepts

Balancing colours and finishes - Kitchen/Living Area

Nicole Gorman
6 years ago

In a new renovation you enter the room from a central Hallway. The style is contemporary. The floorboards are wide dark brown oak timber boards. To the left is the kitchen. To the right is a wall with long gas fire and stone hearth, with storage underneath. Across the back of the space are large floor to ceiling windows. The walls are white (Resene Bianca Half).

My issue is how to balance the colours and finishes.

I need natural stone under the fire. I'd love natural stone island bench, however I know it will stain and this will annoy me in the long term.

I am considering using stone to wrap the island bench then use a stronger more durable surface on the top.

In terms of colour for the joinery, one wall is floor to ceiling cupboards with wall ovens, and also a bar space - then at a right angle, this wall is some floor to ceiling cupboards at either end with a long work bench in the middle where the cooktop and sink will be located.

Initially we were thinking white joinery throughout, however I am worries it will be too bland and lacks a highlight/contrast. I'm also concerned that if i'm not careful, the bar space will look cheap and tacky.

Then on the opposite side of the room is the fire wall. I'd like to wrap the wall with something rather than leave it white plasterboard - however, I need to balance the colour of the fire wall substrate with the colour and finishes in the kitchen.

I'm very aware that the 'outside garden' will be a feature, so I don't want it al to clash.

Basically, the different surfaces i need to balance are:

Kitchen Joinery Wall 1

Kitchen Joinery Wall 2

Island bench

Fire place wall/wrap

Fire hearth

Storage under the fire hearth

I'd appreciate ideas from others as I have been overthinking this problem for too long.

thank you

Comments (3)