Houzz Logo Print
blueblue1234

Kitchen layout ideas please

Anne
6 years ago

Below is my kitchen area measurements and current layout. I'd love to have a new modern kitchen but am struggling to see how this can be done. Looks like I might have to have the same layout just new cabinets, benchtop and appliances.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (28)

• bigreader
    6 years ago
    When you say modern, what features mean that to you? Are you after a straight run of cabinets and an island?
  • Anne
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi bigreader. That is the major part of it, but also a wall oven, and a dishwasher. The dining room is right beside the kitchen and all open plan. Am renovating all the house and I like the modern and minimalist look.

• Related Discussions

OK, layout ideas please.

Q

Comments (4)
    I'd move the lounge to where art work is if it fits nicely on that wall . Ie view to TV , view to outdoor. Leave the TV where it is. If they need more seats it can be popped along adjacent wall where lounge used to be . That way you'd have solved your traffic flow problem.
    ...See More

Verandah wicker/ cane/ rattan furniture and layout ideas please.

Q

Comments (4)
    Great space Kylie, yes you could arrange the couch under the window, plus a small table and chairs, an alternative could be a day bed, add an outdoor mat for a beautiful look gorgeous cushions and throw for a perfect spot to sit and relax
    ...See More

Awkward kitchen layout - need help with ideas please :)

Q

Comments (8)
    an island in the kitchen would challenge the available walk through to the family room and the precise space available in the alcove depends on wall thickness so my suggestion has a new location for fridge, wall oven and tall storage, similar location for stove, sink and dishwasher and the alcove used as pantry space with a free standing table rather than an island to test how it feels before committing to a fixed island and a new kitchen and widening the dining room door should not need a DA but always best to ask the building inspector at your local Council
    ...See More

Layout ideas please living /dining

Q

Comments (3)
    Layout will depend on size of furniture number of seats. Location of windows and doors and walkways and whether you want a tv or other focal point on walls. Can you post a plan and provide more info. Otherwise check out photos here and on Pinterest
    ...See More
  • girlguides
    6 years ago
    Perhaps ask a plumber best place for dishwasher if you haven’t already got one plumbed in and work from there
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

my suggestion inlcude the existing positions for plumbing and hopefully reusing existing sink, moving the cooktop to allow for a range hood and wall cabinets, adding a stacked wall oven and microwave with a central appliance cabinet and keeping the fridge position will save some space and adding a freestanding island bench or trolley...the tool bench from Bunnings could be an interesting addition to a modern kitchen, with or without a timber counter and is an ideal size for limited space...with more precise measurements you should be able to try the various flatpac kitchen planners

• siriuskey
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi there, The measurements were a bit unclear, but I suggest leaving sink and cooktop insitu, moving the sink across to allow for the DW next to the door into the kitchen, I couldn't get my old program to move the cabinet I will have another look later when I have more time.

I notice that you mention a wall oven which I haven't included as I had in under the cooktop. I have positioned a Microwave cabinet next to the fridge which can be changed to a wall oven cabinet, I will do it and show.

Because the kitchen is so narrow I suggest a wall of 400 mm pantry cabinets for good storage and keeping the lines simple.

I have also shown the fridge and cabinets built in with a plinth across the top of them which shows it up to the ceiling. The 2 m Island could be made up of large draws etc. colours and door style is up to you.

The thoroughfare through the kitchen is kept simple when entering walking past the narrow pantry is easy and safe, no hot ovens etc to manouver.

The island makes using the kitchen a boon it's also a barrier between children and the working parts of a kitchen.cheers

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

With wall oven and simple doors, if that wall isn't long enough the
    wall oven and fridge could be moved back towards the window cheers

• PRO
    ARTIS PURA Designs
    6 years ago

Hi Anne

the first thing you should ask yourself is how do I intend to use the kitchen? Having an island is all the trend, but if it makes using the kitchen awkward for you then it may not be a great idea. An island running down the centre could work well and I would possibly move the sink along the same run as the cooktop and not continue the cabinetry around that corner. Is your house on a slab? If not, it might be worthwhile moving the sink to the other end, closer the dining room. Is the rear door to outside? Can you do without that one and utilise the space a little more? Is this a major thoroughfare? A couple of questions to get the mind thinking.

• Elisabeth Henderson
    6 years ago
    hi oklouise I've looked at the tool trolley from bunnings lots of times thinking of it as a great kitchen island, have you ever seen them used like that?? liz
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

only read about it and planning to use one ourselves...think of it as as pantry, cutlery, crockery storage so think it will be great but only seen a red one and think we'll paint ours (with spray enamel?)..but main attraction is the size (with wheels removed?) in your narrow space btw what are the precise dimensions of the whole room inlcuding the dining room and kitchen, including all windows and doors, are you planning flatpac or custom kitchen and what furniture will be in the space?

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Liz & OK we used one of Bunnings trolleys in a holiday Villa we used to have, when it was inside it was either against the wall or sideways as an island bench to sit up to. When we had BBQ's on the Deck it was wheeled outside, wheels are lockable, we kept 3 black storage boxes under for empties and rubbish/storage.

• Anne
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great ideas oklouise. The dimensions are 5.480 by 3.220 at the widest. Where the door to outside is, the width is only 2.795. We are using a cabinet maker and so perhaps they can also custom build the island to those dimensions. I like the idea of moving the stove along and having a range hood.

• Anne
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Gem'ApelleDesigns. The rear door is to the outside. The house is on a slab. I think the current layout closes the rooms whereas an island would make it feel more open and perhaps spacious.

• Anne
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi siriuskey. I have to admit that layout looks great and may be ideal. There is just enough room for the fridge and the wall oven tower between the windows. By making the wall of cabinets only 400 deep, it looks as though an island bench will fit. What are the dimensions of the island bench in your drawings?

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Anne, I've worked on 600 x 2000 for island, this could have sit up at the end.

Seeing that you are doind a full reno, I have played with replacing a window with a glass splash back and placing the cooktop next to it. In this layout you would swap the sink and cooktop, which I think works better for the dishwasher placement. I like to keep tall bulky items together, ie: fridge and wall ovens.

400 mm pantries are great much easier to find stuff cheers

• Anne
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi siriuskey. Great idea. What is the minimum space you would recommend between the island and the benches?

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Anne, going off the measurements on your drawing I have the width from pantry wall to suggested oven wall @ 3600, that's the important part. My drawing is approx 3525?

• Anne
    Original Author
    6 years ago

spot on. cheers

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Sorry Anne which measurement is correct, I have 400m pantries, Island 600mm and sink 600,,, try to have 1m between benches

• Anne
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The 3525 width is correct which must mean that the distance between the benches is about 962.

• oklouise
    6 years ago

which benches are 3525 apart?? unfortunately, there is a discrepancy in the measurements..the original plan shows a width of 3600 with a recess next to the fridge of 770 but later message says the whole room is 5480 x 3220 wide and 2795 wide near the back door so there can't be a proper walkaway on either side of a central island as originally suggested but where are the other doors and wall openings into the dining area and where are the laundry and bathrooms as there may be other options to consider???

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Anne, Yes that would be correct, I try for approx 1m between benches in small spaces but not totally necessary & 1.1 in bigger.

The pantries being 400m x 800mm have 400mm doors so don't take up much opening space.

Same with the island, if you use drawers it makes the space work better than having doors, also F&P dish drawer dish washers a great in all spaces.

Does the dining open into a living room? and the single door into the kitchen, is that external?

• me me
    6 years ago
    Personally, I think your kitchen already looks quite good. Just clear away the clutter, paint the window surrounds white, and remove vertical drapes. I remember when islands were the latest fashion in the 80s, then quickly went out.
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Anne, just another possible idea, It appears that I have shown your kitchen space longer than it is. Anyway your cabinet maker will sort that out cheers

• girlguides
    6 years ago
    I dunno think it’s an awkward space and would get a professional with some knowledge of plumbing and kitchen design in to advise
  • Anne
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi oklouise. Sorry about the confusion on the dimensions. My error was that I measured the width from the cupboards instead of from the wall.

So, wall to wall in the widest part is 3565 and then narrower where the door to the outside is. The entire room is 5480 long but this includes the dining area as well. The dining opens out to the living area.

• oklouise
    6 years ago

relieved to learn that the dimensions are correct but think that the bulky fridge left in the original position will allow more space for the cooktop and range hood on the outside wall and ask your cabinet maker about 45cm corner doors to a custom sized corner cabinet that give will allow much better access to the corner cabinet than the standard 30cm doors to a 90cm corner cabinet ....all the other cabinets and drawers should be easy standard sizes with the freestanding island left until after the kitchen is finsihed to decide what feels like the best size to suit

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Anne, It is a very small kitchen dining, as the living room opens off the current dining space are you able to draw or just give the size of the living room with doors and windows marked?