brockwellk

Dining room help

Karly Blackmore
January 8, 2018

This is my dining room, it is very bland and very cold. How do I create a bit of a luxurious feel in here without spending too much money. I have a toddler so fabric chairs & rugs are out unfortunately

The room is open to the left into the living room & open from where I'm taking the pic from.

ive added a pic of something I love (except the chairs!)

The Wild Heart Collective Australia
    Hi Karly,

What about a piece of wall art - think an abstract hand painted piece you & your toddler can create together? Me & my kidlets have created some masterpieces that would make Picasso jealous lol. I think some greenery in the way of a potted plant & also a chandelier or interesting light feature, suspended from the ceiling might give some wow factor :)
    Karly Blackmore thanked The Wild Heart Collective Australia
    The Wild Heart Collective Australia
    Maybe add some curtains to create some softness & a little texture to your space?
  • annb1997

Karly, I think you have a clean slate to work with here. I like Nik's suggestions of some greenery, maybe placed on the table to keep out of your toddler's reach, and also some textural art pieces. A tallish and slightly elaborate candelabra on the centre of the table would add interest and provide height. The main thing that struck me in looking at the photo of style you admire, is that the table & chairs are a very light in colour. So, I'm wondering if you would consider painting your table a warm white (chairs too perhaps)?

Karly Blackmore thanked annb1997
  • annb1997

There are some very clever and crafty houzzers whom have completely transformed the look of their dining sets with paint and have posted the photos, so hopefully they will comment as well.

Karly Blackmore thanked annb1997
  • KK1000
    I know you don’t want a rug but there is nothing better to add warmth, luxury and colour. There is lots of indoor/ outdoor rugs and beautiful designs to suit all the tastes and they are easy to keep clean and cheap. Large wall mirrors with ornate frames. Artwork and large pot plants in large pots so it’s toddlers proof. Look at “Shine mirrors “for inspiration .
    Karly Blackmore thanked KK1000
  • julie herbert
    I think you have the opportunity to make a real statement in this room starting with your black dining setting, keeping it in a monochrome theme of black and white would be dramatic, large artwork, floor lamp, large plant , pendant over table could look very stylish. Even a black and white abstract rug could look great under table
    Karly Blackmore thanked julie herbert
  • annb1997

The trip of candle holders are a nice find, Julie!

Karly Blackmore thanked annb1997
  • Kim

Your cheapest options are putting some artwork on the wall and some sort of display piece in the centre of the table. Moving up on cost the idea of an outdoor rug to ground the zone and an over-scale dramatic pendant will finish it off. If you can find something to put in the corner to "soften" it, that too may help.

Karly Blackmore thanked Kim

Agree with the above, some nice art work, hanging light over the table and perhaps some new wicker resin chairs, very comfortable and kid safe, my sister inlaw found some for $70 per

Karly Blackmore thanked siriuskey
  • JE C
    Here is another pic you might like. Wondering if anyone has had success using fabric chair covers ( e.g. Ikea) on chairs like this, as that would be a relatively cheap update.
    Karly Blackmore thanked JE C
  • JE C
    Ps I know you have a toddler but maybe removable washable covers might cut it.
    Karly Blackmore thanked JE C
  • girlguides
    The room you like has pretty sheers and pendants you could add the pendants now and sheers later if you want to change your current window treatments. I’d definitely go for a table centrepiece to cover up some of that black which cos of size of table and severe window treatments really drains the room of life So depending upon how much your toddler climbs and pulls things off table go for a pretty and large circular mat to take away from all the angles and a pot plant and maybe candlesticks
    Karly Blackmore thanked girlguides
  • KK1000
    I don’t know what style you like but here are some pendant lights just to give you an idea.if you can’t find one large enough group 2/3 together for more presence.
    Karly Blackmore thanked KK1000
  • Elisa
    I have a similar dilemma and am wondering where to shop for good-priced outdoor rugs that can be used under the dining table @oskuee
  • KK1000

For rugs try Au rugs or similar site

• pascoeyvonne

The black dining setting seems too heavy with the timber flooring. I suggest changing it for a lighter timber colour or white. If you are low on cash, then I suggest painting the setting white. I believe the roman blinds/pelmets are too dark and could be replaced with the sheer curtains you like. Painting the walls a lighter colour would also make a difference. Paint is one of the most powerful and cheapest tools to use to achieve the desired look .

• scottevie

Indoor/outdoor rug would be a great start. Make sure you measure it up to fit chairs when they are pulled out from the table.... This 200x250cm one from ikea is reasonably priced with good reviews and may even work with your square table? http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/40320716/

• JE C
    Hi, In the Feb issue of Home Beautiful, I noticed there are 2 tables like your black one than look great in their surroundings especially on p 127. I think your current window coverings and lack of a feature light are probably the main challenge, for the look you are keenest on.