Houzz Logo Print
nyuishappy

Euro laundry facelift

Rebecca
6 years ago

My partner and I have been living in the same Melbourne appartment for about 5 years. It's owned by my partner's mother, who was living there when I first moved in and started contributing rent. About 12 months ago she moved out with her new beau and my partner and I stayed, increasing out rent contributions to cover the mortgage repayments.

We can't take on any large reno projects as Lee doesn't know when she wants to sell the place. We do have have a little more leniency with small makeovers due to the familial connection, though, and our european laundry is so neglected it makes me saaaaaad.

The left side door doesn't open all the way due to damage to the click & lock flooring in the entryway. The door on the metal sink cupboard also won't close thanks to the 50L paint bucket left behind and said bucket is far too heavy for this terribly built shelf.

My primary concern here is the shelving. I was considering installing a countertop, pulling out the current shelving and re-framing the cupboard to have stable overhead storage.

For reference, this is our skinny linen press between the euro laundry and the front door. The opening is actually narrower than my shoulders making it far too narrow for Mr Paintbucket. It also makes the back of the shelves awkward to access, but it isn't even half-full. I think our problem is more to do with conformation of storage rather than needing more of it

What I'm unsure of is whether I should install the countertop intending for the washing machine to sit under it (creates a folding space for clean laundry) or over it (creates a sorting space for dirty laundry).

I think I'm more inclined toward the first option as there could be potential to fit a compact ironing board in that folding space (you may have noticed we don't have one of these). I'd have to make a cutout in the countertop due to the placement of the powerpoint. I don't imagine this will be too challenging, but wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking a potential supersolution :)

Comments (9)