Houzz Logo Print
mrtea1

Help with kitchen layout...kitchen too darn BIG!

lil
6 years ago

We've been in our house for a year now and we're just not happy with the kitchen layout. The biggest complaint is that it is just too darn big! I know many say the work triangle is of questionable relevance in today's kitchens, but now that we've experienced it we really understand the value of keeping the work triangle reasonably tight. As you can see it is 4.4m (14'6") from the fridge/pantry to the cooker, and it takes far to much time to walk from the pantry/fridge to the other side of the kitchen to get every little thing (and take it back again).

Luckily, we never got too far with completing the current kitchen - none of the cabinet work has been done and the island bench is just an old table. So we're free to modify things somewhat!

So I've been trying to figure out how to reduce the size of the kitchen without moving the pantry and it looks like I might be best to literally...reduce the size of the kitchen! As you can see I've inserted a new wall (which won't be too hard, I've built a few walls). I would love to move the wall even further to the right but for the existing window. I'd also prefer to reduce the distance between the peninsula and the sink counter some but if I do it will mean the fridge will sit partially outside of the U and won't be as direct to access. So it's still quite a lengthy triangle, but more compact than the existing one.

Opted for a U-shape instead of an island as it gives more counter space and we don't need multiple kitchen entrances. It now means both the pantry and the fridge face straight into the heart of the U.

I was racking my brain for what to do with the newly created blank space and I realised it could be a great spot to put (hide!) my computer desk (we wanted one near the kitchen/living area anyway). That still leaves another 2 square metres of blank space. If nothing else I could shove a door on the exterior and make it a garden storage area or something.

The pole in the middle of the house is a bit awkward I know, but it seems like it is going to be awkward no matter what, and I expect it wont bother us too much.

Anyone have any suggestions or criticisms for what I am contemplating?? Don't hold back! If you think it's a terrible idea let me know!

Existing layout:

Proposed layout:

Proposed 3D view. Note pole marooned in an awkward spot. Moving the counter to incorporate it affects the work triangle which is already on the verge of being too big.

Comments (11)