Houzz Logo Print
kidssiam

Solutions needed to family bathroom layout to maximise space

kidssiam
6 years ago

House not yet built in NZ but plan shows the family bathroom should be laid out like this. This is a typical layout keeping the plumbing and drainage to one wall but I want more than it offers.

Issues.

The entry door (810mm) opens into the room and would hit the shower door if that happens to be left open. Not good. ‘In wall’ door solves that problem.

BUT which wall for the following snags?

The shower on the plan is 900mm square.

For the comfort of the people who will be using it I need a larger shower cubicle. So by changing to an ‘in wall’ door solves this but could it solve it in both dimensions if the rest of the bathroom layout remains the same? Added width when standing under the shower head is required rather than length. I think a 1000mm2 cubicle would work. Do not want an angled entry wall cubicle or sliding doors to the enclosure.

It could work with an in wall door but do not want to shorten the width of the vanity as it is only single bowl as it is……… and would I have enough clearance at the shower wall end? I have been in bathrooms where this clearance is down to less than 100mm and it makes cleaning up of spills and splashes in the gap and retrieval of dropped items hugely problematic.

If in line door fitted the vanity could go on the other wall (maybe now with two bowl) but if the in wall door is placed on this wall does that affect the plumbing layout of the vanity (or the central heating radiator which is currently on this wall)? So should the inwall door go on the corridor wall? This spoils the balance of the services lobby but.............

I have not yet decided on a ‘drop in bath’ or ‘against the wall’ in preference to free standing (mostly for the cleaning angle of around the FS) but do like the idea of a ‘shelf seat’ as roughly depicted in the plan to aid my getting into the bath on the odd occasion I would have one! I could perhaps put another shelf under or a door for added storage (which I don’t think I can fit in anywhere else than under the vanity) as is shown on the plan?

Finally. Given that is a keeper idea, can a ‘shelfseat’ of some description be configured with a back to wall bath or does that totally defy the aesthetics of the bath?

I am grateful for any suggestions but please note that room dimensions and window placement cannot be changed.

Comments (10)