Houzz Logo Print
waltershelga65

Your thoughts on our kitchen plan?

helga
6 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Our kitchen plans must be finalised by the weekend! Would very much appreciate some advice on the design above.

The current kitchen is 3.7m long on the window wall, but the designer has extended this length to 5m, (going a little way into the living room). There is a load-bearing column which has been hidden in the book shelf.

We have already purchased our appliances, so they have to fit into the area! I have done a rough sketch of the house to help get the area into perspective. (See below)

We host a lot of large dinner parties, hence the need for two ovens and two dishwashers.

Obviously, want as much bench space and storage space as possible. We thought we could put our KitchenAid and Thermomix in the appliance cupboard, so they would ready to use, but hidden away. Haven’t yet found a place for the microwave.

Nothing is aligned on the plan – does this matter??

Thank you in advance for your thoughts…

Comments (63)

• siriuskey
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

And Kim's suggestion to maybe include banquette seating and cooks Laptop research area, you could also have a small flat screen TV on the wall above linked to your online cooking programs and following receipes, I do..

Love the double doors as it opens up and makes the spaces feel bigger and not so pokey. If you feel a need for more DWs F & P Have the wonderful drawers they also do fridge and freezer draws.

Apart from cabinet makers do check out Ikea and ask them to quote. the Stud wall is easy to do it just helps to add to a kitchen for someone who loves cooking and entertaining.

I don't suggest you brick up your support post go with whatever fits and suits the room.

The Island can be either 2 x 3 m 0r 1200 x 3m, you know that the guests are going to want to join you in the kitchen, clean up is easy between the dining room and Pantry and can be closed over and forgotten until later.

helga thanked siriuskey
  • Kim
    6 years ago
    Could move the double doors further into the entrance area which may give you a little bit more room in the banquet area?
    helga thanked Kim
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen counter / island bench layout - your thoughts please

Q

Comments (15)
    Hi Lil, I believe your original plan works much better than the revised version. While the notion of ideal working widths is great, the larger problem here is the post. I worked on a project very similar to this last year where a post could either be connect to, or separate from the island. What we found was that by separating the island the space between island and post became very awkward. It's not enough of a space to comfortably walk through or be seated at the island in front of. Instead of your room feeling open and generous in proportion, it is going to start to feel cramped and awkward. We have a kitchen in our showroom (Kitchen Studio Tauranga NZ) with a 6ft gap between bench and back wall and it works wonderfully. It allows someone to work at the sink and a second at the island with ease. Stick with the original plan. It will feel a lot more spacious, without compromising work flows.
    ...See More

What are your thoughts on our house plans?

Q

Comments (16)
    as a fellow downsizer my suggestions are aimed at comfort and easy access.. rotation of the ensuite allows for more walking space and room for a small side table and chair near the bath. the toilet room closer to the bedroom door keeps wet floors away from the vanity and consider adding grab rails for comfort in the shower and they also make great towel rails and easier to add during construction ...I've stolen a little space off the living areas to add extra walking space in the guest room and study, these rooms are now interchangeable (if you prefer the study with a view) and the guest bathroom has external access for the pool...strongly recommend you identify purposes for all the storage areas so spaces can be designed to suit eg the space on the right as you walk in from the garage could be ideal for sit down bench with wall racks for coats etc or a counter for sorting bags of groceries ...you created an excellent plan and I would be happy to change or explain any of my suggestions
    ...See More

Your thoughts on kitchen, buters and laundry joinery plans

Q

Comments (17)
    Ahh, sorry Kate, I missed your questions earlier... What are ceiling and cabinet heights? > 2.7m ceiling. > cabinet height not sure yet as these images are just drawings for ref There is dashed lines indicating uppers in pantry but not shown in elevation? > that dashed lines are for the wall alignment of bedroom on top floor.
    ...See More

New build: Your thoughts on our floorplan?

Q

Comments (15)
    I think Louise has done an amazing plan. That is so nice of her to do that! The number one thing I didn’t like in your plan was how you had the kids’ bedrooms, bathroom and toilet directly off that living area. That’s one of my pet peeves. I much prefer a hallway off a living room so that the bedrooms etc are separate, as Louise has done. On Louise’s plan, my only comments would be: In the ensuite, how do you get to the bath by the window as the shower is in front of it and I assume it has frameless glass around the shower? I’m not totally keen on having a mudroom at my front door. We live on acreage too and unfortunately we don’t have a mud room but if I was to have one I’d probably prefer it near my laundry. That way I can keep a nice, clean front entry for visitors. That’s just my preference though. I certainly don’t hate Louise’s idea. I love how the pantry also the cavity door into the hallway as you could access it quicker when coming from the garage. The other thing to consider though is that doorway will take away cupboard/bench space but if you don’t need it, the door is a great idea. I agree with previous comments though. Definitely get professional help from a drafts person or architect to ensure whatever design you decide to go with works for your land. Good luck with your build.
    ...See More
  • helga
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Siriuskey, we're always a family of 4, but our married children come often with their kids. There's just a 1.2m verandah off the family room, but a lovely view. Would you mind walking me through your concept to see if I've got it right? Pantry is 1.4m (is this 600mm bench and 800mm walkway?) + 100mm stud wall + 600mm for oven wall + 1200 walkway + 900-1200 island bench = 4.2 - 4.5m. Walkway into pantry is 1m and into family room 1.2m?

Banquet table is good idea, Kim. We had quote to move family room wall out, but $$$ for the sake of 1.2m. Yes, thanks for the advice to take my time to get it right!

oklouise, very good ideas there! Especially moving fridges to open up area.

I've got heaps to think about!

• Kim
    6 years ago
    Another sneaky idea is yes, leave the wall but open it up at the far end where you walk into the "pantry" area and and then build another wall for your walking pantry pushing your kitchen back towards the front entry into the front formal lounge. All cabinetry opposite island would sit against the original wall. I hope you understand what I mean. Obviously unsure of the structural element there. Could build a little bit of wall off the powder room (towards front door) to accommodate the double doors? All depends on the space.
    helga thanked Kim
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Helga I would will be very happy to provide you with further details of my concept for your kitchen, and moving things around to suit you is easy. Going by the measurements you have provided i will work within that. Can you also supply the size of the dining /living and what the dividing wall between the kitchen and dining is built of. Any ideas of what your style is would also be helpful. We will be working with spaces between island and benches at 1.1 to 1.2 anything wider is too wide to work in. What is your fridge size, French door or side by side fridge freezers are best as they take up less space when opened, depth of door is less. cheers.

helga thanked siriuskey
  • helga
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great idea Kim, but sadly can't use any of the space in lounge/dining.

Thanks for your help siriuskey! I provided main measurements in initial drawing: kitchen wall on dining side is 5.2m, don't want to go beyond width of 4.2m, if possible. Fridge/Freezer is Leibherr side by side: 570mm each x 1770 high. Induction cooktop is 650mm wide, rangehood is 730mm wide. Ovens 600mm. Dishwashers 600mm. Like white kitchens (shaker style) and medium-dark timber floor

• helga
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wall between kitchen and dining is brick. Another sketch here:

so at the end of the 5.2m wall is a door that goes into lounge/dining. That door could easily be hinged on the other side to open into the dining room so the entrance to your pantry (Siriuskey) wouldn't be blocked.

• oklouise
    6 years ago

based on the accurate appliance measurements there will be more space available

helga thanked oklouise
  • Vanessa L
    6 years ago
    I would triple or at minimum double it and move the bin closer to the sink and dishwashers. It gonna be a pain scraping your plates and putting in the dishwasher otherwise. Do you really need two dishwasher? Ideal place for the bi. Would be in the place of one of those dishwashers
    helga thanked Vanessa L
  • Vanessa L
    6 years ago
    I mean double or triple the size of the pantry
    helga thanked Vanessa L
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Helga,

I'am just going over your plan and to answer your questions' and thank you for the appliance list with sizes

"Would you mind walking me through your concept to see if I've got it
    right? Pantry is 1.4m YES (is this 600mm bench and 800mm walkway?) + 100mm
    stud wall + 600mm for oven wall YES+ 1200 walkway WALKWAY CAN BE 1100-1200, I HAVE 1100 BETWEEN SINK AND ISLAND AND THAT'S HEAPS OF SPACE, I CAN OPEN THE DW AND THE UNDER BENCH OVEN AT THE SAME TIME AND STILL HAVE PLENTY OF SPACE BETWEEN THEM. 900-1200 island bench =
    4.2 - 4.5m.ISLAND BENCH SHOULD BE 1200 X 3000, THAT GIVES A 600 DEEP STORAGE, DRAWERS OR CUPBOARDS AND A 300 OVER HANG FOR STOOLS. Walkway into pantry is 1m. AT THE MOMENT IT WOULD BE 800 (1400 WIDE PANTRY WITH 600 CABINETS) , BUT THAT CAN BE CHANGED TO MAKE THE DOOR WIDER IF NEEDED?"

You mentioned having all appliances would you be able to change your cooktop and range hood to 900 a 600 cooktop is very limiting ie: using frypan and larger pots together, ie: Pasta, and for a cook it's a must, I have one and wouldn't change back to 600.

Cheers

helga thanked siriuskey
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

This plan is still 5200 on the dining wall because I can't see why it should be reduced and you would also lose 1 m off the pantry and cooking.

It's really difficult not being able to chat so for this reason I have shown possible oven positions and sink DW.

I have kept your side by side fridges close to the sink on the window wall.

Same principal, 1.1 - 1.2 between bench's, pantry 1.4 - 1.5 waith 600 cabinets, with or without a door. Love Barn Doors for your Hamptons style.

If you don't like the idea of the ovens near the window and at the start of the pantry you could open up sliding panels between it and the dining for serving and getting rid of dirty dishes straight into the DW. Even if you kept the ovens in the same place which is great close to the sink it's still possible to have a servery. The small appliances are in the corner next to the window at the moment which I think is good.

Island is still 1200 x 3000

Internal walls 100mm, Hope you like it

(please don't read my capital script as rude & yelling I just thought as I can't use colour this would make it easy to decipher

helga thanked siriuskey
  • Kim
    6 years ago
    Plans coming along nicely siriuskey. I would make sure all the top cupboards go right up to the ceiling and line up. No need to drop them for a dust trap (unless the stud is really high). Above ovens on your perspective plan for instance. Doing an amazing job. Helga you must be pleased!
    helga thanked Kim
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Kim, I think that with the Hamptons style that Helga is wanting she will want pelmets which I haven't worked out how to draw just yet. "Somethings Gotta Give" movie cheers.

helga thanked siriuskey
  • jiminwalpole
    6 years ago

Lachlan,so these plans are for the oldest colonial homestead and doesn't include what would have been the kitchen/dining,walk- pantry plus detached sleeping quarters.The historic homestead will receive the up grade and re furbishment

• helga
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's great oklouise, thanks!!

Siriuskey, haha, I did realise why you used capitals! I love it, thanks!! Agree, it is difficult not being able to chat. Sorry, I didn't mean to reduce the 5.2m wall, I meant 4.2m the other way... going into the family room. Also, when I mentioned width of walkways into pantry and into family room, I meant at the window/sink end of the kitchen. All your efforts are much appreciated, drawings are impressive! You have ovens 1 and 2: does this mean option 1 and option 2? (I only have two ovens).

An appliance I forgot about is microwave (600mm wide and 460mm high). I'm not very tall, so rather not have it on top of oven.

Kim, thanks for your input. I do want as much storage as possible! But am not good with styles :(

jiminwalpole: ?? I don't understand

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Helga, thank you, after iI posted I thought you may have thought I was yelling at you in computer speak, not at all.

I have done another quickie ,(If I can say that), the cabinets on the dining wall are 600m with 1.200 between them and 600mm Island (also 1.2 between sink and island.

I now have a Computer station and pantries along the entrance wall

Banquette seating built to Island as this should take in your support beam so more space for the family

I would keep your fridges near the sink, I have also changed the kitchen window , up to you and included a servery between the kitchen dining which could be made private

A 800mm small appliance cabinet next to the ovens as per the photo, this is a better position

You could also have a small bar sink in the Island. Not sure if I have forgotten anything cheers,

helga thanked siriuskey
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Banquette seating x

helga thanked siriuskey
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Ovens were options for two positions in the kitchen and instead of having them side by side you could have 2 ovens in one cabinet, the MW in the island?

helga thanked siriuskey
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Forgot to add that F&P DW are the best space saving machines, two DW in the space of one, same with wall ovens as per the photo stack them and not side by side cheers

helga thanked siriuskey
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

I have moved all the tall units fridges wall ovens onto the dining wall, still have two dishes washers but that could be reduced by 600mm using a double F&P DW

At the moment the kitchen is 5m x 3.8m and could be 5m x 3.2m by using the F&P DW

helga thanked siriuskey
  • Amanda Irving
    6 years ago

Sorry that this is late but I have a similar problem and layout. I would be interested to know why Siriuskey/Helga canned the butlers pantry drawings? I have 2.35M !!!! between my island and L shaped work areas and it is killing me! I had originally thought when we bought the house to move the island but I wondered if I could move the wall and have a pantry behind, as the pantry is smack bang in the corner (ouch) and everyone gets in my way when cooking!

This post and it's replies have encouraged me to think that it may be possible... except that I don't have a 5M wall on the cookktop side, only 3.6M..

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Amanda, Helga decided that she wanted more of that space for the family living, but I loved that pantry. Why don't you post a plan with measurements to see if it would be possible. Otherwise depending of placement of appliances you could have another narrow island cheers

• Amanda Irving
    6 years ago

I will - when photo's uploads is working :-) thank you Siriuskey!

• Amanda Irving
    6 years ago

Sorry that the images are quite small. The first shows the cooktop wall which is 3665mm in length, and the island is 2350mm from it. If we create a new wall 1220mm from the island ( at first we thought to move the island closer to the cooktop, however, the floor has been laid around it, and also the pantry is in the wrong location- everyone interupts my triangle when they go to it! so I thought about creating a slim walk in pantry v similar to Siriuskeys design. Not sure if that would give usenough clearance to walk past shelves (hoping 350-450mm depth shelves).

Any input would be appreciated!

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Amanda, You need 1000 between island cooktop and allow 100 for the wall, you would have approx 1250 for the slim pantry so it could work, Real Estate agents measurements are usually incorrect and they state that. I will work on a floor plan for the kitchen including the pantry today, looks like a lovely new home for you in lovely Norwood. cheers

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Amanda can you pls confirm if the 2350 is from the wall or the cook top cabinets

• Amanda Irving
    6 years ago
    Hi Siriuskey, the distance of 2350mm is the floor space between the cabinet front kick oars and the island kick board :-)
  • Amanda Irving
    6 years ago
    That should be kickboards!
  • Amanda Irving
    6 years ago
    I would like at least 1200mm walkway between the cooktop and island, and less in the slim pantry if necessary; our ensuite entrance is 650mm wide and I have been "practising" moving through there to see if it is sufficient and I feel it is... I don't really need a sink or even a bench (normally 600mm deep) in the pantry- just 300mm shelving along one wall and a deeper shelving space at the end.
    I would move the fridge to the end of the sink wall near the dining area, and extend the new cooktop wall for counter space either side of the cooktop;
    Even going so far as to put in a servery door to this cooktop area at the far end of the pantry. That way I won't have to walk all the way in to the pantry and lug my pressure cooker or processor all the way around the new wall again..
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Fridge had to be moved closer to the sink, so I had already placed it on the sink wall. What distance do you have between the two windows and what size are they. What kind of oven, wall or under bench do you want or have.

• Amanda Irving
    6 years ago
    Ok! The window above the sink measures 1950mm wide. There is 1400mm between it and the large dining room window.
  • Amanda Irving
    6 years ago
    We have an underbench oven ( it works a treat) and a ceramic cooktop which is ok. I used to have a 900mm gas top and miss it but I can live with the ceramic at the moment or get an induction later. Both measure 700mm wide and I am happy to keep the cabinetry they sit in if recyclable.
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Amanda, trying to give you the great pantry idea for Helga in a smaller space but it should work, You said you wanted 1200 between cabinets (not kick boards), I have worked with 1100 it would be even better with 1000 for extra space in the pantry. The wall takes up 100. After speaking with your builder to finalize plans with an onsite inspection you could consider having the new wall between the kitchen and pantry stop around the top of the wall cabinets for extra natural light back into the kitchen. It would still look good with the range hood chimney still going up to the ceiling.

I would try to reuse as many cabinets and all of the appliances, and they will fit beautifully Your small appliances can be lined up on the bench near the window into the pantry. MW coffee tea could all be fitted in this area to suit you

The Pantry can have 400 base cabinets or shelves/open drawers for easy access and the wall cabinets/open shelves which are marked as 300 could be 200

Your fridge is much better closer to the sink.and should help to keep them out of the kitchen cheers

helga thanked siriuskey
  • Amanda Irving
    6 years ago
    Wow that looks much cleaner than I imagined it. Thank you Siriuskey! I appreciate all the advice and help I have been able to find on these stories; it’s great to share ideas but your drawings really do make all the difference.
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

The program is old so you have to imagine your stainless range hood and splash back in the middle with cabinets both sides with or without doors. You could leave the pantry open at the other end for even easier access. I wasn't trying to make it look clean I just don't have small items to add to clutter things up a bit.

• helga
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Have just noticed this post has been revisited! I haven't canned the idea of the butler's pantry at all - I love it! And am still trying to make it work.

Siriuskey, how much do you think this plan can be "squashed up" so the family room area is as big as possible? while keeping the kitchen area still workable?

How narrow could the butler's pantry be? Is 400mm too narrow for the bench in there? I wouldn't have a sink, dishwasher, oven in there; just a bench for my small appliances with overhead shelves and cupboards underneath. My dream would be to have a second undermount rangehood in there to take steam and
    odours from thermomix and deep fryer...

Be glad of everyone's thoughts :)

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi there Helga, Because you need more family room space I've taken out the pantry, but I still think you will have everything you need plus you will actually be in the kitchen where the family action is and not stuck away in a pantry.

This kitchen has two deep 1 1/2 bowl sinks plus 2 DW, 2 under the window or one in the island.

The pantry for small appliances has 600 deep benchtop with 30cm deep x 1800 long with double bi fold doors. you can have the wall units deeper but this should work really well with your appliances lined up behind the doors they can be pulled forward to use and give better ventilation for your Thermomix and deep fryer, you can have an extra extraction system either within the cupboard or above the bench to in the ceiling.

Also having the bench top 60cm deep and the wall cabinets 30cm x 2 x 900 cabinets the doors will be 45cm wide and when pulled back will only protrude into the kitchen space by 17cm which will make them easy to work around. If the wall cabinet was 60cm like the base the doors would protrude by the door width 45cm , much more in the way.

A cooking zone and two oven towers.

The island has more drawer storage plus there is extra storage and computer desk on the entry wall, the wall cabinets have glass panels.

helga thanked siriuskey
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Bulleen · More Info
    As "Aldi" says same but different, this appliance cabinet is great but the full length doors would get in the way, especially between ovens and fridge cheers

helga thanked siriuskey
  • Kim
    6 years ago
    Designs are coming along nicely siriuskey!
    Regarding more space in the family area I think if you go for a breakfast bar then ditch the dining table as well, use your formal dining area. If you prefer to sit at a table, a banquet might give you more seating. It appears it's another dilemma which I guess it's how you live. Sounds as if you have a large extended family and entertain alot.
    Unsure about the positioning of the fridge, possibly a bit out on a limb from the island bench in one design.
    helga thanked Kim
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Thanks Kim, I don't think Helga actually wants a dining table in the family, that could be replaced with another lounge for more seating cheers

• girlguides
    6 years ago
    I can’t understand why anyone needs 3 sinks and 3 dishwashers in the one home non business kitchen. Getting rid of this triplication will increase space for living area
  • girlguides
    6 years ago
    Couldn’t you just also reduce gap between island and in dining pantry down to 1200
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Helga, It's been such a long time since this kitchen was first designed that I had forgotten the "Support Beam" and the reason for the pantry that I love in the first place. But I think I have a way to over come that, tomorrow.........Hi girlguides, Helga hosts a lot of large dinner parties, so the need for extra appliances cheers

helga thanked siriuskey
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

More family room less kitchen, table to be placed up to support beam, the beam can be timber clad to match your shaker cabinet doors

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Back with reduced pantry and two support beams either end of Island, it is showing three posts and a beam(can't do two) but I would go for two posts, and with or with out the beam.

Small appliances are still in the same position as above but they could be swapped with the ovens if you preferred.

helga thanked siriuskey
  • helga
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, that's mind-boggling!! Thank you ever so much, Siriuskey! I can see it taking shape :)

To clarify some measurements on your design, what is the distance between:

1. the dishwasher beside the sink and the island bench

2. the island bench and the small appliance cupboard?

And what width did you make the island bench?

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi Helga,

1 ). The Island is 3.5m x 900cm ( the ridge down the middle is part of the railing system I used to get the posts so that won't be there)

2 ). Small appliance cupboard is 1m to Island (trying to get as much family space as possible and to fit the support beam/s in) my kitchen is 1100 between island and bench and I find that heaps and could easily be 1m.

3 ). The DW, window bench to Island is 1.225m , The fridge is 700deep so is 1.125m from the island,

4 ). The window bench with ovens is 1.125m to the wall of the small appliances and 950cm between ovens and pantry cabinets on the plan to allow for opening.

All of these can be re positioned to line up correctly depending on what you thought,

The Ovens can be swapped over to the far end of the Appliance cupboard and possibly move your appliances to where the ovens were.

I think the twin beams could look great in your kitchen,

I have worked artistic calculations for the beams so not sure how close I am. cheers

helga thanked siriuskey
  • Sarah Sarah
    6 years ago
    Wow siriuskey! You are amazing!
  • Sonakshi Batra
    6 years ago

This is really good to go with proper plan and all the experts interior designer in Nagpur always follow this scale and gives best results.