Houzz Logo Print
heartlyhome

Your splashback suggestions please

heartlyhome
6 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Ive had a pressed-metal splashback for a few years now and since updating my bathroom I feel like it doesn’t quite fit in with the rest of my home.

I am thinking of tiling the splashback.

Any design suggestions?

The walls are currently a duck-egg blue colour, I’m planning to repaint the walls white or something neutral.

Thanks!

Comments (70)

• girlguides
    6 years ago
    Having busy Grey tiles seems the same as the pressed metal I’d go plain but as it don’t need to be done if you’re having trouble making up your mind why not leave it. I don’t think each room has to be the same style or colour if not open plan
    heartlyhome thanked girlguides
  • heartlyhome
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You’re right, it doesmy really need to be done but I do like change. My laundry was renovated four years ago and I’m rerenovating it because it’s time for something different!

• Related Discussions

Splashback tile ideas please

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi AJ Blue and white is a combination everyone enjoys and it never dates. Choose the blue you enjoy. If it was a greyed blue it would be right on trend for encaustic (cement) Moroccan tiles. Good luck.
    ...See More

Design/suggestions appreciated for splashback!

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Sheryle, I would suggest to try using a colour that brings out the grey veins of the bench top - either a tile or glass splashback. Here are a few examples of all white kitchens with different coloured and textured splashbacks- Subway white tiles and grey grout that can bring out the benchtop colour: A contrasting colour: A stone splashback (you can even use the same Frosty Carima stone): Good luck for your project!
    ...See More

Kitchen window splashback - feedback please!

Q

Comments (9)
    We've moved into our build 6mth ago, with a new window splashback. We don't have a view out it. We have a 4.5m wide house and needed to give the illusion of extra width. The extra light is nice. At the moment we are looking onto a blank beige wall of the house next door. I'm toying with faux green wall or having a mural painted. I like to take my time with these decisions. Anyway- home truths. No I don't clean it each time I wash up. When I do, it is dirtier on the outside anyway. Do I see the spots? No. I used to have a solid glass splashback in our last house- it drove me nuts! I think because your eye is drawn outside, it detracts from the splash. Whereas with solid colour anything- all you see is the splatters. We got toughened glass. My stove/hob is not against it. Go for it- you will love it.
    ...See More

Kitchen Splashback - Help Please!

Q

Comments (39)
    Looks lovely and I'm so glad you're happy with it (and love your little styling touches!) We're about to start building so no pics yet but we're supposed to be deciding already - bit soon for me to get my head around it when I can't actually see it. I was happy to go with a glass splashback but as that can look green because of the glass it's become a bit more complicated! I'll make a decision one day... Thanks for posting the photos - enjoy your new kitchen.
    ...See More
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

A more expensive option would be to change the bench top to a concrete look in both kitchen and laundry, this would give a theme for all 3 rooms,

heartlyhome thanked siriuskey
  • heartlyhome
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I see what you’re saying and you’re right, it would tie everything in nicely, but I’m not too keen on swapping granite for concrete.

Do you think it would look odd to have a black subway behind the oven and a white subway behind the sink?

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi there this was what I meant not real concrete, do you have a better photo of the range hood area cheers

http://www.caesarstone.com.au/colour/4003-sleek-concrete

• Kim
    6 years ago
    I would use the same finishes you have used in your bathroom for the laundry so it ties it all together. You mentioned blue in your bathroom but the bath looks black on a computer screen?
  • Renai Habets
    6 years ago
    no useful opinion on the kitchen, but oh my I love your bathroom!
    heartlyhome thanked Renai Habets
  • annb1997
    6 years ago

I think your idea of black tiles behind oven and white tiles behind sink can work; here's why: your cooker is black, the cabinet handles are black and the tiles would cover a relatively large area, while the area behind your white sink, which runs underneath white shuttered windows, is really only a thin strip and white features prominently on this side.

I see no difference in what you are proposing than when two different benchtop materials are used in same kitchen.

• heartlyhome
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kim, bath is black.

• heartlyhome
    Original Author
    6 years ago

annb1997 - I do agree - thank you

• MSWLE
    6 years ago

When I saw the first picture I thought 'wow' and continued 'wowing' for the next two. :-)

Love the colour on your walls! Though I guess if you've lived with this colour for awhile, you may very well like a change. I'm a subway tile girl myself and can see the white by the sink and black by the oven.

Very nice chantalleptos!

heartlyhome thanked MSWLE
  • Gallifrey
    6 years ago

Have a look at Southern Cross Ceramics. We used them in our holiday home. We wanted tiles that were not subway tiles which are way overdone lately, or boring glass.

• MSWLE
    6 years ago

Looked at the Southern Cross Ceramic and though they are fabulous, they could be as busy as the pressed metal. Also I gather these are very popular at the moment, but for how long? I feel subway tiles are timeless and won't go ever go away. :-)

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Subway like everything else has it;s use by date, but I do like them in a concrete look with matching grout to suit this kitchen, try using this interactive website.

http://www.scceramics.com/Home.aspx

• jdavidson64
    6 years ago
    A simple subway tile would be perfect in your kitchen, you could lay them in a herringbone pattern, should you wish to tie the rooms together
    heartlyhome thanked jdavidson64
  • legendaryflame
    6 years ago
    I think a nice gloss black on both sides of your kitchen would look great and help tie the kitchen to the bathroom. You can get really glossy, reflective black tiles.
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

My thoughts are that because you have just done a very simple bathroom and are now planning to do similar with the laundry which comes off the kitchen would be to replace the kitchen granite (sell it) with a Ceasarstone concrete look benchtop and match the laundry bench top to that, continuing the pressed metal splash back into the laundry. All of the handles you have will match with this and help pull the design together. cheers

• heartlyhome
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Siriuskey - I agree, changing the bench tops as you have suggested would tie things together really well, however at the moment I’m not willing to part with what I currently have, I really love my bench tops. I’ll have to continue on with my quest to tie it all in via the splashback.

Im thrilled with all the amazing suggestions, feedback and comments. Keep it coming!!

• belindaweir
    6 years ago

Make a single long strip in the exact same metal and colour as the hardware on your drawer handles.

heartlyhome thanked belindaweir
  • Kim
    6 years ago
    Saw this on Houzz. Similar colour scheme with subway tiles.

Tradition Updated Kitchen and Dining Room · More Info
    heartlyhome thanked Kim
  • PRO
    Emwinn Constructions
    6 years ago

You can paint pressed tin. I simple coat of paint might change the whole feel of the kitchen. Continuing your stone as a splashback would work well.

heartlyhome thanked Emwinn Constructions
  • berbieharmsen
    6 years ago

I have a glass splashback in a neutral colour and it is very difficult to keep clean. Every splatter shows and i have to use a magic sponge to clean it and I don't believe that they are modern anymore. On the other hand my daughter has a mirrored splashback which doesn't seem to show marks much at all. My vote would be for white subway tiles for this kitchen as it is now but if you want to modernise it you would need to change the handles. Unless your bathroom opens into your kitchen it doesn't need to be matchy matchy.

heartlyhome thanked berbieharmsen
  • Elaine Sharkey
    6 years ago

I agree with you. I love pressed metal but it’s screaming at the bench. There are some rustic subway tiles that would look great. I could be wrong but to me your kitchen looks antique white not white and the bench goes beautifully so the tiles I would colour match to doors and if you can afford it the rustic uneven subway tiles would look fabulous.

heartlyhome thanked Elaine Sharkey
  • Elaine Sharkey
    6 years ago

Your kitchen and bench are also warm in tone and the splash back is cool. Pick tiles that are warm to blend in.

heartlyhome thanked Elaine Sharkey
  • Shani Goode
    6 years ago

You can get glass splashbacks that look fantastic, you have a great range of colours (with the clear glass front) and it is super easy to clean!

heartlyhome thanked Shani Goode
  • PRO
    Plush Design Interiors
    6 years ago

Hi, I have designed several kitchens lately with glass splashbacks and metal splashbacks. Toughened glass will be required behind the stove or Class-A fire rated metal (see www.thatmetalcompany.com.au for over 130 options - Ali and Ange are SO good to deal with). You obviously like elegant and neutral tones with a dash of daring - your home looks beautiful. You can get photographs printed on glass splashbacks - like a mural - or have the back of the glass painted the same colour as you will use on the walls. Or smoked glass, which looks amazing. Cheers, Penelope

heartlyhome thanked Plush Design Interiors
  • PRO
    Plush Design Interiors
    6 years ago

Just a couple of thoughts on the glass splashback, as I mentioned you could have the same wall colour painted on the back of the glass for a uniform look. Or contrast. or glass tiles, which look amazing :-) Cheers, Penelope

Rhode Island Beach House · More Info

Knight Frank LTD · More Info

Above is a similar style to your kitchen but you have the wood floors, more warmth

JACQUELINE PLACE · More Info
    Or a mocha which looks great with warm white and black

• PRO
    Plush Design Interiors
    6 years ago

Ooops, forgot this one... or a crisp ice blue. Cheers, Penelope

Kitchen in Blue · More Info

• hitchandthread
    6 years ago

How about a black and white tile? (To work with the sink and the stove). What about changing your light fittings too? Maybe a wood finish to tie in with the bathroom. I would paint your kitchen or at choose the colour before choosing a new splashback as it will affect how the finished room will work together. We currently have a foul, avocado and mission brown, falling apart kitchen. So I am very jealous of your "before".

Rancho Project · More Info

• asorbak
    6 years ago

I would paint the pressed metal gloss white, and change the light fittings for black iron and glass for a lighter look. Walls white. A wooden cake stand or fruit bowl to tie in with the wooden vanity in the bathroom

Manchester Pendant Light (Large) · More Info

heartlyhome thanked asorbak
  • Kath
    6 years ago

I'm a big fan of glass splashbacks as well for the ease of cleaning compared to grout. In the picture I thought your wall colour looked green and I loved it. How about picking up the green bits from the bench in a glass splashback and painting the wall the same colour. I think a plain surface in the splashback will make the kitchen look calmer.

heartlyhome thanked Kath
  • User
    6 years ago
    I’ve just done a kitchen reno and everyone said “subway tile” ad nauseum. It does seem like everyone is doing it, which made me hate the idea even though it can look good. For your beautiful kitchen I would only consider subway tile in a herringbone lay, to keep a bit of originality. My first step, as someone else suggested, would be to paint the pressed tin and see what you think. You might also consider some very simple Japanese tiles. A designer warned me away from glass splashbacks, even though I was keen from a practical perspective, as she said it is as expensive as a high-end tile but can look sterile. Whatever you do, please keep that GORGEOUS natural granite and don’t replace it with anything synthetic or concrete, neither of which will be as robust or beautiful.
    heartlyhome thanked User
  • heartlyhome
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! Really great advice from all.

I’m not keen on a glass splashback as it’s just not “me”.

I am keen on a herringbone lay and also really like the handmade/rustic style of tile.

I think I will paint the pressed metal white, perhaps it will help me to decide on a colour tile. I’m leaning toward a beautiful pastel/Smokey grey in a handmade uneven/rustic tile and then in the laundry (which opens into the kitchen) a soft blush pink tile splashback!

The only concern I have with the grey colour is it looking sterile or loosing warmth...

With regard to light fittings, I think I may need to change them if I went with the grey tile and perhaps use a brushed gold/glass combo instead. I’ve used black light fittings and pendants as shown in an above comment in my living and dining areas.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

hello again, to try and keep it simple, could you replace the metal splash back along the sink wall with a strip of the same Granite and do black tiles on the cook top wall. Another suggestion these tiles are actually stainless and could look amazing with black grout, very moderntraditional profile

https://www.tilesandpavers.com.au/metal-tiles/

• heartlyhome
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Siriuskey - great idea, will def consider using the same granite as benches on the sink wall and black on the oven wall. Thanks!

• annb1997
    6 years ago

What a good find, siriuskey! They are very striking.

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

I think they would suit any style heartlyhome & annb, very simple, just like I like it!

• Bee W
    6 years ago

I love your new bath tub!! I know this is not on point, but where did you get it?

heartlyhome thanked Bee W
  • heartlyhome
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It is infact a white bath tub that my clever husband was able to paint black. The white tub was much cheaper than the black (in Melbourne anyway). It looks fantastic and is a slightly different texture to the usual black tubs you see at places like Reece.

• PRO
    Plush Design Interiors
    6 years ago

Thanks for the tip on metal tiles, siriuskey, as I love adding metallic to suitable decor. I hadn't seen these so will add their details to my suppliers list :-) Cheers, Penelope

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

They are quite different in the hexagon pattern, if you end up using them would love you to post a picture cheers

• asorbak
    6 years ago
    would love to know how you painted the bath!! did you sand it back first etc. how did you get a straight line around the top etc etc
    heartlyhome thanked asorbak
  • heartlyhome
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Bath was sanded back with 400 grid sand paper using an orbital sander, the top edge line was masked freehand using fine line tape. It was two packed black and was also sprayed and dried in a car oven - we have an auto repair centre in Melbourne so it was helpful to have the correct paint, spray gear and oven. My husband is no stranger to this type of work thanks to my long list of ideas!

• julie herbert
    6 years ago
    Yours is one gorgeous bathroom, just stunning.
    heartlyhome thanked julie herbert
  • heartlyhome
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! It’s a beautiful room to be in.

• Graphic Glass
    4 years ago

Well, You can see the other wide collection go to Splashbacks Glass.

• rosecafe
    4 years ago

Hearty Home. If it ain't broke don't fix it is your best slution. The pressed metal looked the part to moi; subtle character, and not like everyone elses. I've just renovated; all new kitchen has bevelled-edged white subways w' pale grey expoxy grout. Timeless is always timeless. Changing your pressed metal look could make the rest of the kitchen design look odd. I note this article is months old; So now I'm wondering what you did?

• frances goold
    4 years ago

Agree with commenters re subway tiles. You might always go pizazz with a kind of striking colour, like watermelon or something, but I think there are so many textures in this classic kitchen that best way forward would be to play it down and remain classical practical. Subways give a subtle, soft reflection and are a doddle to keep clean. Maybe consider a charcoal grout for a smart effect.

• frances goold
    4 years ago

Or....you could fit a semi-opaque black glass panel over the top to dimly reveal the palimpsest of silver pressed metal below!

• heartlyhome
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I went with a very pale grey hand made subway tile and changed all the hardwear to gold - what soft and luxurious difference it made! Also added a nice touch of contemporary style. I’ll post a picture later on today. Very happy with the colours/updates I chose.