Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_39390361

Need ideas for exterior and interior colours for our coastal house

User
6 years ago

Hi, we are downsizers who have retired to the Far South Coast from Sydney and will be building our new home starting at the end of March. We have not built a new home before and interior design does not come naturally to me so I have been absorbing as much as I can from the Houzz website.

The builder has advised he will give me a month's notice on any decisions that need to be made but I want to get as much of an idea in my head as to what I like so I am one step ahead and not pressured to make quick decisions.

The house is two storey with the upper level containing the main bedroom, ensuite, WIR, laundry, and open plan kitchen, dining and loungeroom. Downstairs is Bed 2 & 3, bathroom, separate toilet, entry, garage and workshop. The block is gently sloping so we are cutting into the block so you can walk from the back deck on the upper level straight out to the backyard.

First decision is the exterior colour of the house. We will have a Colourbond roof, linea weatherboard on the upper level and rendered blockwork on the lower level. I want the interior of the house to be light, bright and airy as our last home was dark wood with not a lot of natural light.

We will have hardwood floors upstairs, with a tiled entry and carpet in the bedrooms.

I am drawn towards the light grey exterior colours with white trims, however I also love some of the photos I've seen with houses that have charcoal or black coloured window frames.

During our travels we have collected a few Persian carpets, as well as treasured items from Asia and the Middle East which I would like to incorporate into the interior design. Some of these items are red but I would also like to incorporate blue into my interior to reflect the beach theme. I love some aspects of the Hampton look and also love Moroccan influences. I know, they are two very different looks and I don't know if I can incorporate both into my dream home.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (2)