Houzz Logo Print
emaillj

Interior floor plan ideas - first renovation

Lee & Laura
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello everyone!

We've just bought our first home, and whilst it is perfectly functional, we are really excited to turn it into something it should have been but isn't.... The house is just over 10 years old and has always been a rental - as such, let's just say it wasn't built high-end and it's obvious the builder knew it was an investment property and the owners lived O/S....

It is also a bit of a strange layout. It's currently 5 bedrooms, with one bedroom on the ground floor. Ground has the garage, a weird shaped bit of space which we have no idea how to use, and a bedroom plus ensuite.

Upstairs has 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, quite a large lounge and a quite small kitchen with a dining room attached.

We'd like to turn it into a much more modern house, and that includes a new kitchen which I feel will have to be shifted to another room. I've thought about turning the old kitchen area into a inside/outside breakfast bar type feature. Thankfully the brother in-law is a plumber which will help out a lot, and fortunately there are also no load bearing walls apparently upstairs, which is a bonus!

With absolutely no house design skills or experience under my belt, I've made an attempt at a few design changes which I've attached (measurements might not be perfect, I've created this in FloorPlanner). We aren't leaning toward any particular design at the moment, as it all looks like lots of work and we want to do it right the first time, and work in stages (we will be doing as much as we can ourselves to save costs).

I've had some great ideas on the exterior provided by other members, and are looking to try to tie this altogether to then be able to find a starting point.

The house faces north, has great views off the deck to the east, and no views at all to the west (fence). We are certainly considering losing a bedroom or the office in order to expand upon the master bedroom or kitchen/bathroom designs - I feel that dropping back to 3 bedrooms though might be too much?

Below the new concept floor plans are some old photos prior to moving in of the kitchen, lounge, weird space, and dining.

We'd very much welcome your thoughts, suggestions or ideas if you have them!! Thank you.

Comments (20)