Houzz Logo Print
grazz1230

Should I paint my exterior feature wall?

grazz1230
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Houzzers do you think i should paint the wall above the steps at my front entrance a different colour to make it look more modern? i would probably only go a lighter colour as my gutters are about to be painted Monument. should I just let the colour flow? thoughts?

Comments (38)

• girlguides
    6 years ago
    What’s the black entrance? Window ? Should be lighter
    grazz1230 thanked girlguides
  • annb1997
    6 years ago

Hi. Your house looks modern to me, and is very attractive with a lovely garden. Yes, I think you could certainly paint that wall, but rather than a lighter shade of its current colour, had you considered darker, possibly Monument? The beauty of some experimentation, painting it first lighter, is that it's only a small area.

I cannot make out what your front door looks like...what colour is it, or better yet, can you post a photo of it...it may give some ideas.

grazz1230 thanked annb1997
  • Related Discussions

Should I paint my green wall?

Q

Comments (229)
    My house, built in 2003, has purple feature walls in the dining room and 2 bedrooms and green feature walls in 1 bedroom and 2 living areas. That was the fashion then. Recently I decided it's time for an update as the feature walls seem to be absorbing all the light and making the house very dark. So far I've undercoated 2 of the feature walls and what a difference it makes! The rooms are much lighter and now I have to decide on whether to add a lighter colour as feature walls or paint them the same colour as the rest of the room.
    ...See More

What colour should I paint the wall where my peacock will hang?

Q

Comments (38)
    Lovely print. I had a peacock feather print and I had a colour called glacier Grey behind. Think it was Wattyl . Again like your other walls it is a greenish grey but darker. I also had my prints on a charcoal wall..loved that too. As you said the picture ties in with the chairs and now it's not necessary to add more matching colours. I'd buy a couple of sample pots and paint large pieces of cardboard. With the other walls I would consider painting them in whisper white (Dulux) a very universal colour that ties in nicely with all colours.
    ...See More

What colour of white should I paint my internal rendered walls?

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi, gloria wood I find that Dulux Natural White can look too stark. Pictured, we have used: White exchange half (which has more of a grey/beige undertone) Lexicon half (for the skirting, doors and trims).
    ...See More

What Colour Should I Paint my Exterior Bricks?

Q

Comments (37)
    Unless you have the money to update everything else to better complement the bricks, painting them will give you a much more updated look. Over the past 18mths I’ve been working on the front and landscape of my current house, including painting the bricks and it has made the world of difference! I’ve attached a before and after photo! Good luck.
    ...See More
  • annb1997
    6 years ago

Is it a screened-in entry?

• grazz1230
    Original Author
    6 years ago

this is the entry. painters havent finished yet

• grazz1230
    Original Author
    6 years ago

this is the front door which you cannot see from the street. Entry is not screened in and the flyscreens are getting changed.

• grazz1230
    Original Author
    6 years ago

will painting the feature in monument make it blend with the roof?

• julie herbert
    6 years ago
    I think it looks fabulous as is, some gorgeous pots on your porch and it will look stunning, you could go white or charcoal, lovely job.
    grazz1230 thanked julie herbert
  • grazz1230
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thanks so much Julie Herbert. love these pictures. definateley need pots

• julie herbert
    6 years ago
    Or these Grazz,
    I love your house, colours are just beautiful.
  • grazz1230
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thankyou Julie. the driveway still needs to be sealed but we are almost done. I love these pots you have shown me. i think the white pots will bring out my roses and my shutters.

• julie herbert
    6 years ago
    I agree, the white will look stunning
  • girlguides
    6 years ago
    Everything about that entry window is too dark Ditch flyscrens and paint horizontal bar white so looks like part of shutter and Dont put anymore dark colours in entry in fact I’d have entry wall with door painted white and ceiling To roof vivid white to relieve darkness and think that would do the trick
  • annb1997
    6 years ago

Thank you for photos. What a beautiful entry!

• annb1997
    6 years ago

Now that I see your entry I agree it would be too dark if painted Monument or other. I would leave it as is and take Julie's advise about the gorgeous dark rounded pots & some tallish plants.

• annb1997
    6 years ago

Love how you said that, co-design!

• Jan Perry
    6 years ago

I love the roof tile colour if you do too, to paint that inlet wall.

grazz1230 thanked Jan Perry
  • PRO
    co-design
    6 years ago

Just a further note on the psychology of colour. It appears from the photograph that your fence and rendered walls, the entry and garage frames are the same colour. Being so, all these surfaces blend in to one another and your home loses definition. Colour wise it becomes very flat and relies on shadows to provide any depth and definition. Colours can help with that. Light colours tend to reflect more light and appear forward while darker colours tend to fall back or away from the eye. So as suggested by painting the back wall of the entry a dark colour (not the frame) it will tend to add depth to that area, however it could also make it appear to be a dark unwelcoming entry, so be careful. Your entry also has a dark roof tile and gutter which adds weight and tends to overpower the entry, which is why you are finding it necessary to highlight the entry. I suggest that you select a colour that is strong and stands up to the heavy roof but isn't a dark grey or similar colour to the roof because we want it to be noticed and not to blend into the roof. Perhaps a rich earthy colour may work by adding strength, contrast to the roof and compliment the wall and garage colours. Also remember when you are selecting your colour, look at the colour sample in the sun against the wall colour then go a couple of shades darker because the Australian sun will wash it out a little. You've got fun time ahead.

grazz1230 thanked co-design
  • PRO
    Windiate Architects
    6 years ago

i would suggest to paint the wall above the steps and the column next to the steps in the monument as you have already used this in your colour palette. this will help to define the entry as well as separate the house built form, from the carport built form to help define the elements of your home. it will also link it to your gate and the flow of entering the house.

grazz1230 thanked Windiate Architects
  • ccwhatmough
    6 years ago

I'd love to see you opt for a bold pop of colour, perhaps in an earthy red tone to complement the lovely wooden front door, and augment it with pots and plants as Julie suggested. I love the colours, but it does feel a little one-dimensional as it is. I little drama will make all the difference. Good luck!

grazz1230 thanked ccwhatmough
  • PRO
    Lick Light + Colour
    6 years ago
    Yes you should have featured all the modern elements and also used a contrast for the front rendered wall .
    grazz1230 thanked Lick Light + Colour
  • grazz1230
    Original Author
    6 years ago

we have painted the front wall four different colours and just couldnt get it right. im worried the same will happen with the feature wall. we are not great with colours. the house itself is Self Destruct. any colour suggestions? thankyou

• killen
    6 years ago
    Dulux Toffee Finger might work

https://goo.gl/images/K83ZEj
    grazz1230 thanked killen
  • PRO
    Lick Light + Colour
    6 years ago
    Um yeah , pay a professional to help you. Instead of asking for free information in here. You can’t make colour choices from pictures online , the colours need to be looked at onsite in situ. Your going to keep spending $$ and making the same mistakes . Direct email me if your interested in using a professional .
  • julie herbert
    6 years ago
    I love self destruct, and it looks beautiful on your house grazz , it all looks perfect , just add your planters and it will look fabulous
  • grazz1230
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Lick Light and Colour. i have paid a dulux colour consultant twice already and she said leave all the same colour. she said only use Hog Bristle half if we were desperate for a feature.

• PRO
    Lick Light + Colour
    6 years ago

Thats very disappointing. . I actually have a lot of clients contact me post Dulux consultations that are not happy. The services I offer my clients are by no means comparable. Id be interested to know what they charged you?

• grazz1230
    Original Author
    6 years ago

i think dulux charge $175 per session. i cant remember exactly

• PRO
    Lick Light + Colour
    6 years ago

Where are you located?

If you might be interested......

My rates are $150.00 per hour + gst.

I would estimate an 1 hour onsite consultation (which is a minimum for me) and .5 hour to type up specifications, specifications include all paint colours and finishes to be used, colour rendering to show painters where feature colours stop and start to avoid mistakes. I would also be looking at front and back areas of property incase there might be other areas that need some work. All exterior finishes need to be considered ie garage doors, powdercoat windows and gates etc, tiles or pavers, fascia, roof and any other external elements.

• Jan Perry
    6 years ago

I've read here to do a color swatch, which is paint colours on a sheet of paper and hold it up to the area to see the effect.

grazz1230 thanked Jan Perry
  • bigreader
    6 years ago
    I think you’ve done a great job so far and with a few tweaks you’ll be very happy. My two cents worth is that unless you absolutely love roses ditch them for a more modern planting that suits what you’ve done with the house. The pics above a great but you can also see great examples by Peter Fudge here on Houzz and Pintrest.
    grazz1230 thanked bigreader
  • Kim
    6 years ago
    Looks good. Before I read through discussion, I had these thoughts. You could look at painting on the front of the wall only, not in the porch/entranceway area underneath, double strength of main colour. So you could as an option get a test pot of Dulux double Self Destruct or even triple. I would not use Monument, or similar to the roof color as it will disappear into the roof.
    I also think the front fence would look better painted a stronger colour from your existing but as it seems it has just been painted perhaps you could do that, when and if you liked, to cut down expense. On the Dulux website they also give you colours that look good with Self Destruct. (Picture below).
    Another option is look towards going bold like a strong blue or blue green. Something like in the picture. That's my feature wall, Resene Billabong.
    ...or a dirty purple or a blood red. It's starting to get really personal of what your tastes are.
    Perhaps you could Half or Quarter the main house colour in the entranceway so it still flows but gives you more light. Exciting stuff!
    grazz1230 thanked Kim
  • Kim
    6 years ago
    Oh, and paint the downpipe the same as the colour behind it, ie. House colour so it blends in.
    grazz1230 thanked Kim
  • PRO
    Lick Light + Colour
    6 years ago
    I love all the advice from people with no clue at all . Follow their advice and before you know it you will have wasted another $100 on sample pots .
  • girlguides
    6 years ago
    Maybe grazz you could simply nail some lovely cedar or merbau wood strips to match your door to feature horizontal bar above entry and garage as a feature as this would give nice texture or maybe a climbing white rose as your white roses look lovely
  • Laura Beaupeurt
    6 years ago
    I’d go light. A white or very light cream.
    grazz1230 thanked Laura Beaupeurt
  • ccwhatmough
    6 years ago

I like girlguides' last comment. If you wanted to spend a little extra and clad the entry portico exterior in timer, it would look really organic, especially with some plants against it. Then lighten up the interior space to draw people in.

grazz1230 thanked ccwhatmough
  • PRO
    Evergreen Walls Pty Ltd
    6 years ago

Hi Grazz,

Agree with Julie - some natural elements could really bring the space to life. We’ve had a lot of customers use our artificial green wall panels at their entrance ways for a visual feature - check out our site for some inspo!

www.evergreenwalls.com.au

Richard