Houzz Logo Print
lmage

To renovate, or not?

lmage
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all,

We are living in a post-war house that has a lot of good things going for it (beautiful yard, front porch that is amazing at any time of day, spacious kitchen), but we are outgrowing it. We have been house hunting but everything we see falls far short!

We're now considering renovating, and need some help on possible options. We have never renovated before, have no skills, and have a small budget (if we renovate, we would probably still only stay for 5 to 10 years, and don't want to overcapitalise).

Problems with current house that we would like to improve are:

- No undercover car accommodation that is accessible via driveway and house

- No study (we would like to have 3 bedrooms and a separate study)

- Living area is a little too small, and faces west

- Dining area is so close to the bedrooms that our little one wakes if we have anyone over for dinner!!

I've attached a floor plan of our current layout (note: the carport on the left is really not functional - it has no driveway access and a big rainwater tank sitting on it).

I've also attached the best plan for renovations that we could come up with - that is, close in porch and add same-size porch onto front, add office in west-facing corner, and add a single carport at the entry of the driveway, with undercover access to porch/front door. We'd love to extend over the existing carport on the left (as this is the sunniest aspect), but can't see a way to do this without compromising bedroom space or really upping the expense).

What are your thoughts? Do you have any other suggestions (keeping in mind our minimal budget and plans to eventually sell)? We have no idea how much things cost.

Thanks so much in advance!

Lyndal

Comments (25)

• bigreader
    6 years ago
    Is the carport under the roof line or an add on?
  • lmage
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It's an add on.
  • Related Discussions

Front and rear landscape renovation

Q

Comments (16)
    I'm not sure what's happened (maybe it's my iPad's IOS10 update), but the great photos that were displaying yesterday in the original post are no longer visible. I hope Houzz or Debbie can get them up again - or tell me what to do to view them!
    ...See More

Would you renovate this Aussie brick veneer? Help us decide!

Q

Comments (13)
    The plan looks a nightmare - bedrooms facing the street, a tiny internal bathroom with no window to the outside (is that legal?) and a "lounge" that looks like it was meant to be a third bedroom. If the internal walls are stud and don't support the roof you're in with a chance, but I'd say to do a proper job the cheap option is NOT going to work. I'd put two bedrooms where the current family room and lounge are and extend the bathroom into the boot room to give window access, or scrap the current bathroom altogether and use some of the space in what is now the kitchen for a new one. Keeping the WC separate is a good move. If you make the street side the social side of the house you can open it right out and create a big front porch that's a social spill-over from the kitchen/dining area, creating indoor-outdoor flow. Planting (two or three shade trees and some stands of tall perennials rather than a "green fence" hedge) keeps your front garden private yet inviting and stops your front porch becoming a stage set for the street. Good luck! I think you'll turn this very ordinary house into a much nicer place to live!
    ...See More

Before and After: A Fitzroy North kitchen renovation

Q

Comments (19)
    I am clearly in the minority, but its a no for me- the gorgeous brick walls, doorway, character all lost - I think that a lighter touch would have given a much more tasteful, interesting and less generic result and allowed some of the house’s heritage to peek through a modern update. if the owners are happy though, that is what matters, their house, not mine
    ...See More

Looking to renovate? The tricks and truths to renovating your home.

Q

Comments (4)
    I hope they were helpful Khahn.
    ...See More
  • lmage
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Actually not really sure what you mean. It's got a separate roof that sits much lower than the roof of the house. Does that make sense?
  • Gabriella Gabriella
    6 years ago
    I think comfortable is the key,think about it twice.
    lmage thanked Gabriella Gabriella
  • Sara Graham
    6 years ago
    Before you take this any further check with the council planners about setbacks, particularly to the front and side boundaries. Some planning schemes require garages and car ports to be located behind/further back from the roofline (or similar) at the front of the house. Even if there are garages located in front of the house in your area, that doesn’t mean it is currently allowed for new builds or renovations. Changes were made to many planning schemes in the nineties and early naughties. And by extending forward and building a new porch your house may be too close to the street and not comply with setbacks.

Your new plan doesn’t really address the noise issue. Perhaps creating a hallway to the bedrooms would help.
    And perhaps acoustic plasterboard for the bedroom walls that abut the living areas.

Good luck with the renovation.
    lmage thanked Sara Graham
  • girlguides
    6 years ago
    Really agree with Genki above. Plus I’d have study in dining space next to bedrooms and dining in living and then hopefully it will be easier to build on new living. Or use part bir to make hallway to carport and enclose as new bedroom. But also need info oklouise mentioned. I’d get a couple of builders you might use to come over have a look and see what they suggest re economics and siting of build area then decide your plan
    lmage thanked girlguides
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

Some external & Internal Photos would be a great help to give more info as to the age and style of house, ie: building materials used and roof line

lmage thanked siriuskey
  • lmage
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thanks guys. ok.. the front porch has a tin roof that adjoins the house. Laundry and toilet at the back also are under the same roof as the house (sorry - so don't know the correct terminology to use here! Bear with me), but are down on ground level on a concrete slab, while the rest of the house is on stumps. Bathroom is in the main part of the house. 4 steps at front and back. Roof is made of - not sure. Walls - mix of asbestos (in kitchen only), horse hair (bedrooms 2 and 3) and plaster. Floors - hardwood with carpet overlay in bedrooms. Porch floors are a different kind of wood (?) and are in need of a bit of repair, but are functional. We're in Brisbane seaside suburb so climate is hot, humid, but we get some sea breezes. We are on a hill, so there is a small (roughly a metre high) retaining wall that surrounds the left and back sides of the house (basically where the bedrooms are). Will attach some photos in next post.

• lmage
    Original Author
    6 years ago

house was built 1954 I think.

• lmage
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Some very rough thoughts for you, remove kitchen wall between it and exisiting living making the kitchen one open plan kitchen dining family with island bench. Dining becomes living.

If possible the carport becomes the master/study ensuite, depending in council,funds and step down which will connect house to carport via enclosed walk way.

lmage thanked siriuskey
  • lmage
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Wow as they say a picture is worth a thousand words. It looks like you or a previous owner has already done a lot of updating, which I wouldn't change except the wall between the kitchen/living. And I'am now thinking that any addition would run across the rear of the house. Or replace the carport with an extension to house adding the master/ensuite and study

• dreamer
    6 years ago
    Yes a picture does clarify. The carport is a totally separate structure. No master bedroom there. House looks really friendly and inviting.
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

it's a gorgeous home with lovely garden and well worth upgrading but your proposal adds about 25 sq m of extra floor area but will lose much of the valuable original charm without creating much more usable space eg converting the front verandah would be more expensive than adding a new room of the same size because the old floor, walls, ceiling and roof would have to be completely replaced, the office is too small to be called a fourth bedroom and reduces useable living area and etc...my suggestion includes a simple 36sqm extension with matching wall cladding at the same floor height with a skillion ("flat") roof matching the height and angle of the front verandah and includes two bedrooms and a bathroom..the existing master bedroom is opened up to the old dining area and the backyard, the old living area is a separate lounge or private dining room, the existing baby's room becomes a (small bedroom sized) office... add a new carport (recycle the old carport?) with tall posts to be higher than the kitchen window and towards the rear of the house with covered access through the laundry and the original front verandah (with repairs) and the fabulous palm remain unchanged...despite being a bigger renovation than planned, this extension will be a much better investment, will look more original and can be completed in stages as funds allow ..discuss with builders and real estate agents for quotes and opinions

this is a very rough image of the extension from the front

lmage thanked oklouise
  • lmage
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Wow, these are fabulous suggestions! Thank you so much. One issue I didn't mention is that we are on a semi-main road (I.e. Main for our suburb, but our suburb is quite small so it's still a suburban street, if that makes sense). However, the noise is such that I've been trying to steer clear of bedrooms at the front of the house. Any suggestions for making the main bedroom more soundproof? Maybe putting the bathroom at the front or.....?
    Thank you so much, I really looks great. Opening up the current main bedroom to be a living space is a great idea, as it gets some nice sun which could address the current issue we have of our living/dining spaces being quite dark.
    Thanks again,
    Lyndal
  • lmage
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh, the only issue I foresee is that the main bedroom would also block all the nice sun that we currently get on the front porch. Do you think it would look weird to move it all back? Or maybe leave out the bathroom (we don't really feel we need a second one, although I can see how it might benefit resale).

• siriuskey
    6 years ago

Hi there, what's that we can see to the rear right is it a stadium or something behind or next to you, You could step a master bedroom and ensuite back as per my first very rough sketch with the ensuite facing the street, bed 3 could become a study or not, And opening up between the current dining and master would make a large family/living room, keeping the dining in with the kitchen. You would need to have a door to close the bedroom wing from the living space

• oklouise
    6 years ago

if you move the bedroom back you lose most of the space used for the second bedroom but it's possible to make a precise shadow diagram of the impact of the roof shadowing of the porch (do you mean the front porch?) if you can identify the exact angle of the sun along the side boundaries and your exact latitude and longitude (all available on Google earth ) i can make a very rough approximation of shadows and a professional house designer can confirm any approximations... the new extension could have much better sound insulating walls and windows that can improve sound blocking from the road and projecting the master bedroom forward will also help block sound and summer sun without blocking too much sun in cold weather (hang a sheet from the end of the verandah to test shadow patterns)...

• lmage
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok thanks again! - latitiude/longitude are:

-27°18'13.2"S

153°03'13.3"E

Sun angle - I think its 345.92 in middle of winter and 288.47 in summer.

Does this sound right? I couldn't find it on google earth so googled and this is what I came up with.

Our living room is so dark at the moment, we rely on every bit of light we can get!

Thanks

• lmage
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That angle is for a 2m structure, which is roughly the height of the porch roof. (It's about 2.4 at the top and angles down).

• oklouise
    6 years ago

the angle of north never changes and on your plan you show north as being at the front corner of the house (on the carport side) so i'll try with that for now but the building designer will need to be more precise and, you'd have a new much brighter daytime living area with sliding doors and a nice breeze out to the new back deck and the old living area will be more of a nightime space and dark rooms can be easily improved by installing simple Solar Skylights (check Illume and Arcol brands available at Bunnings)..i'll try the shadow diagrams asap...

lmage thanked oklouise
  • oklouise
    6 years ago

much as i've argued with my antique cad program all day it refuses to cooperate and i've been unable to produce the shadow diagrams so you'll have to consider if the potential loss of some sun on the front verandah will be offsett by the improved comfort of the whole house...keeping in mind that a local professional will be able to include these diagrams with greater accuracy...in the meantime i suggest that you ask a local builder for some advice about the most economical extensions ideas

• lmage
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Haha no worries, thank you so much for trying. I'm definitely going to consult with someone now, you have all made me feel that it may be worth looking into. Thanks again!