Houzz Logo Print
monwalker

Engineered stone - calacutta marble - continuous flow waterfall edges

Em House
6 years ago

Hi there

im interested in using a calacutta marble engineered stone for my kitchen bench tops. I have a reasonably large island of approx 3m x 1.4m and I ’m interested in mitred waterfall edges on the 2 sides (similar to photo).

i have to choose a stone brand now and am struggling to find out who can provide me with a continuous flow edge from the top of the benchtop down the sides so that the veins match up from the top down the side (again similar to photo).

i really like unique calacutta by essastone but can’t seem to get a response from them if this is possible, so am assuming not.

Anyone been through this, or know which companies offer this when more than 1 slab is required?

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Compass Kitchens
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Em House

With your Island being 3000 mm long and 930 mm high you will need a slab that is made around 4980 mm long (with cuts) if you want to use something like Caesarstone Calacatta Nuvo and you want Waterfall Ends and want to match the veining. You are probably already aware though that this Reconstituted Stone sheet material (and even Marble for that matter) is not made this long where the Largest Format Sheets are still only 3200 mm long.

Even though Mick Jagger said it best, there are still however a few options available which you may like to consider. Stone Masons have for centuries been addressing this issue by sudo matching the veins in Marble as best they can at junctions, where a good Kitchen Manufacturer's Stone Mason (like ours) should be able to take the time and select pieces for such a project that come close and still look the part. Here is a photo of such psudo matching.

The Waterfall End Style is usually paired with Modern Style cabinetry and so another option availableto you and one you may like to consider is to use a Broken Line Waterfall End in your Design. This works particularly well with Recessed Handle Kitchen Designs, where the Drop End also lines up with the top of your Doors & Drawers. Here is a photo of this type of Broken Line Waterfall End.

This island has also continued the Stone cladding around the face where you may note that the veining does not follow perfectly on every surface; but still looks great.

I hope that some of this information is of help as well as allaying any concerns.

Regards

Malcolm

• PRO
    Quartz - Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts
    6 years ago

any brand of stone or quartz can achieve this along side any good fabricator

We would suggest you look at a brand like Technistone, Silestone, Samsung Radianz or Smartstone, Lg or Cambria

• pammykb
    5 years ago
    @ Quartz - Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts. Unfortunately, Cambria is not available in Australia and I believe the OP is.
  • PRO
    Quartz - Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts
    5 years ago

Yes you are correct there is no Cambria product in Australia though a good, cost effective product is the Trendstone Range as well which is available in Australia.