Houzz Logo Print
margie_elise

Garage conversion/indoor-outdoor area

Margie Elise
6 years ago

Hi all, my husband and I are about to embark on a major renovation of our house. Currently its a single story with a garage under the house - we're adding a story, and want to convert the old garage into an indoor-outdoor area.

When we bought the house parking was down a shared driveway and under the house. We put a parking area in the front of the house, and fenced off the back so we have a proper backyard which is now grassed and landscaped. Now that we're doing a proper reno of the house, we would love to turn this old garage area into something useable.

There are 2 issues with it:

- It only has a 2.1m ceiling height. We don't have the budget to knock it down and start again, so we're stuck with it. We don't need it to be rooms (which need to be 2.4m height min) so that's fine, but trying to making something of it without it feeling claustrophobic is one of my concerns.

- as it was once a garage, there are four supporting poles which make a box kind of in the middle of the space. We've considered removing the poles and adding in supporting beams, but with the 2.1m ceiling height we're a little reluctant to go down this route as we really dont want to make the space feel even smaller.

The space flows seamlessly into the yard, so I think there's potential there to make something nice.

Any ideas with what we can do with the space, including working with those damn supporting poles, would be welcomed! TIA :)

Comments (10)