Houzz Logo Print
fevich

What is the difference between owner builder and a builder?

Fev Appalooza
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My husband and I are undertaking a major renovation and extension of our existing home and it's our first rodeo. We have had some experience with small renovation projects before but nothing on this scale. Obviously we are keen to get a great result without blowing the budget and have many questions.

In relation to my question re owner builder vs building contractor:

• What does owner builder mean and how is this different to contracting a builder to complete the work?
  • Can we have a combination of both?
  • What are the benefits vs risks of each?
  • Who is responsible for drawing up a contract?
  • Do we have a right to negotiate changes to the contract?
  • Is it advisable to get a lawyer or other legal type person to check the contract before signing?
  • How do we ensure the contract favours or covers us for any unforeseen issues?
  • What is a typical way this could be included or stipulated in the contract?
  • Can we negotiate how much a builder can charge us for any variations or is this a set figure?
  • If we owner build how do we monitor if the builder is doing things according to plan and not skimping or changing things without us knowing?
  • Is this something that can be included in the contract and what would a typical solution to such an issue be?

Please feel free to answer any or all of these question. Thanking you in advance.

Comments (18)