Houzz Logo Print
catherine_coorey

Magnesium Oxide MgO or MgSO4 Structural Insulated Panels

Catherine Coorey
6 years ago

I'm interested in using these in a new build. Wondering if anyone has experience of them. Have read about some issues but they seem like a good way to build.

Comments (2)

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    6 years ago

I have not had any experience with these panels, but as with any new or unusual building products you need to approach with caution. I did not know that they were available in Australia?

The first question I would be asking after the Grenfell Tower tragedy is what assurances the manufacturer can offer that the Magnesium Oxide component is not flammable?

Australian traditional brick veneer construction allows you to hide lots of things like electrical wiring and plumbing in the walls. If you start chasing these services into a structural panel what happens to the structure, the insulation, and how do you finish it off?

How do these panels work with openings such as windows and doors? Do they take standard windows and doors, or do they have to be custom manufactured for these panels?

As with many new building products that seem great in principle it is the real world practicalities that are just as important. Don't look at their beautifully rendered marketing images, go and see a finished house inside to see how neat the electrical, plumbing and window openings look before you commit.

If these panels are so good why aren't they commonly used in new housing? Are you prepared to pay good money to be a guinea pig?

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• PRO
    JMR Building Contractors Pty Ltd
    5 years ago

MOG board has been available here for several years, it’s similar to a villa board and typically can be used in replacement with villa board, blue board or even plasterboard. MOG boards greatest attribute is its ability to maintain attack from heat and in particular fire. For flame zone properties it’s a great option for exterior protection.

Whilst MOG board is both an internal and external product, care must be taken with it to protect it from moisture and humidity. Left unprotected the board can absorb airbor moisture, then sweat it off, leaving visible moisture droplets on the surface.