Houzz Logo Print
reenah_nanny

Which pro? Architect, builder, building designer? Help!

R J
5 years ago

Hi gang!

We bought a little 90s AV Jennings style house in Brisbane last year. It's currently being rented out. Our intentions are to move in next year and make it our family home for a decent number of years. It needs renovating though!

There are a number of things I want to do to the place, some cosmetic, some structural, e.g. garage conversion, removing a wall, new bathroom layout, general update of decor and facade. In a few weeks I'll have about two days between tenant leases to access the house and get some professional trades in for quotes or designs.

The question is - who is the most valuable person to get in with such a tight time frame?

While I have pretty solid ideas of what needs to be done to the place, I need someone to tell me if there are structural things that need prioritising, or things I'm unaware of but they can see immediately. I think I'm after an architect with builders knowledge. Would that be a building designer?

I'd also like to end up with a quote (ballpark is ok) so we know what kind of budget to aim for. We're really at the beginning stages here.

Happy to provide more details if needed.

Comments (8)