Houzz Logo Print
zaffa

Blinds for teenage boys’ bedroom

zaffa
5 years ago
I am in the process of organising window furnishings for my home. Contemporary and new build. I would appreciate some ideas for my teenage sons’ bedrooms. The windows are opaque (due to council regulations and overlooking as they are first floor in inner city Melbourne). Both boys will have a fabric upholstered queen size bed in either charcoal or black, which will sit up to the bottom of the window.
I am thinking of block out roller blinds to match the colour of the walls (given the fabric bedhead).
My dilemma is whether to insert them into the window recess (no architraves) so you don’t see the brackets on the side. But I’m not sure if there is enough depth in the window reveals so the bracket does not protrude from the window recess. Or install them above the window recess (in which case the brackets will be seen). Alternatives to cover the brackets would be (1) a sheer curtain, in a masculine colour like a light grey and would sit like a backdrop behind the bedhead, (2) a pelmet to cover the brackets and roller, but concerned this look is dated, and (3) a double roller with block out behind and sheer roller in front (but not sure what the purpose of the sheer roller would be other than to cover the opaque window).
What do you think? Any other ideas for blinds in teenage boys bedrooms with our configuration (see photo). Thank you!

Comments (44)

• zaffa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ps. Carpet is lighter than the picture. See pic
  • JE C
    5 years ago
    I think the recessed roller blinds in wall colour would be best if doable, a blinds company would be able to tell you if there is sufficient depth.
  • Related Discussions

need help to design 16 yo girls bedroom and 15 yo boys bedroom

Q

Comments (2)
    Nice of you to put such specific consideration into their needs! I would think that timber blinds or white timber blinds (venetians, which are much cheaper than shutters, but can look just as good. Because they are easy to clean, but mostly because teens tend to hide out in their room, sometimes this turns into a cave and they don't really care about opening the blinds each morning, also, they are particularly concerned about their privacy and sense of space, having blinds means they won't ever look messy and the most you have to do is open them up, and if they are tilted a Articular way, they still provide them a private blockout while letting the directional light in. I would also do a timber floor for a both, as they are likely to traipse in wearing shoes that of course are full of stuff from their adventures. They play sports, may spend time outdoors and timber floors scan be easily cleaned, carpets are ruined. As for a girl, if she has different interests, or spends time in her room often, a carpet rug on a timber floor. Rugs can personalize a space, so they have some saying the decor, and easily replaced, maintaining your timber floors beneath, while providing warmth and comfort. Even if covered mostly by furniture, the edge of a rug underfoot will feel more comfortable than not.
    ...See More

Ideas for teenage bedrooms

Q

Comments (6)
    My idea for the girls room would be to use your basic ocean colours (light ocean blue and white) and combine it with your industrial steels and white wash elements. I would paint the room white and use the ocean blue as a feature wall behind the bed. Using some beachy elements such as shells and pictures or paintings of the beach or shells, etc are a great way to decorate the walls, benches and bookshelves. These elements would be a great contrast with the blue. The industrial elements can be introduced in the room with the lighting elements and the handles of benchs and cupboards. Also if the room is small and great way to make it feel bigger is to add a steel framed mirrors, which can bring together all the other industrial elements. And personalising the room is one of the most important features of the room. You mentioned that your daughter likes music and dance, a great freature would be to try and find a 2nd hand boom box that she can use, which give the industrial essence. One last note if she likes dance try and not have to many objects in the room but enough to be practical.
    ...See More

Teenage Boy's Bedroom Makeover

Q

Comments (6)
    Wow, looks great! I love that you've kept the bed frame and furniture and drawn on the timber with the rest of the room :)
    ...See More

8 year old Boy's bedroom - inner city Sydney

Q

Comments (4)
    Very nice. Is it MDF or wood and where did you get it from?
    ...See More
  • M B
    5 years ago

Given the windows are opaque, Im not sure if you need a sheer roller as well ( unless its west facing windows ). A roller blink with blockout seems the most appropriate.

Don't put a pelmet on, it may not appear as contemporary.

If insulation is important, then I would go roman over roller blind.

Sheer curtain would also look nice: would the rail be on the ceiling or just start above the window?

• zaffa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks. One window is north facing, other is east. Both are double glazed. I agree with pelmet. Ideally a single block out roller can be recessed into the window reveal. My thoughts on sheer curtains would be track to ceiling. Also thinking of removing opaque film and reapplying to 1.7m, which is the height specified in our building permit.

Window all opaque or partial?
  • annb1997
    5 years ago

From your photo, it looks to me a single roller blind will fit neatly inside the window reveal. Best wishes.

• PRO
    Decoro Custom Interiors
    5 years ago
    Hi Zahra, if light is a critical issue, note that a blackout blind will not provide total block out of light - if it is placed outside the recess, then less light will leak in than a blind in the recess. All the best. Louise
  • M B
    5 years ago

I think remove the top half of film to let natural light is great, especially if north facing window

• Suz Col
    5 years ago
    In a bedroom I recommend fitting roller blinds as in the picture. If using blockout blinds it gives total blockout.
  • zaffa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks to all for your comments. Will look into whether the roller blinds can be recessed into the reveal. Although I think practically, installed to the face of the window might work. Just not sure I will like the look of back roll blinds with the side brackets. Might need to look further into contemporary pelmets. Also will consider removing the opaque film to 1.7m above the floor to allow for some view of the sky!
  • zaffa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Just saw these rollers and pellets, in the Quantam range which we have been quoted. What do you think of the side brackets and the headbox? Really could go either way. The single roller blind will be white( the bedhead, which will sit directly beneath the window, will be black). Thanks
  • annb1997
    5 years ago

The 1st pic looks good. As you blinds will be white, do they have a white end cap available for side brackets? Otherwise, the head of looks fine too.

• annb1997
    5 years ago

Headbox.

• zaffa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks annb1997. Yes, the edge cap can come in white too. But kinda liking the look of a white headbox.... :)). Will look seamless with the white walls and blind. And doesn’t look too pelmet-y either!!!
  • annb1997
    5 years ago

White headbox will look seamless. Cheers!

• zaffa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks as always annb1997!!!
  • Kate
    5 years ago

2 things to consider

1. The side of the window frame looks very narrow so may have gap on edge of window once you fit in bracket. Talk to the manufacturer of blinds with the frame widths.

2. The opaque film may be a requirement of a building or planning permit. You may need permission to remove. Depending on requirement an option could also be shutters that only open a bit at an angle to prevent overloooking

• zaffa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Kate. Yes. I am aware of your points. The opaque film is part of our building permit to 1.7m off floor. So we could remove the current film (which we installed ourselves) and reapply to 1.7 height.

We will be face fitting the blinds 5cm beyond the edge of the side reveals (not in the recess), back rolled so the blind sits flush with the wall, and installing a contemporary 84mm projection (with 89mm drop) headbox (pics in the thread above) to hide the roller. I think we’re resolved with this decision.

Thanks for your comments.
  • KK1000
    5 years ago
    Just a simple light filtering roller blind inside the window, I have boys , don’t complicate things boys don’t appreciate it.
  • zaffa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for your comment. Need block out for bedroom. The boys don’t care but I do!! Don’t like the look of the roller on top. And the roller can’t fit in the window recess. Hence the headbox. Too many decisions!!
  • Kath
    5 years ago

We put 'top down bottom up' honeycomb blinds on our bedroom windows. The fittings are really tiny and just in the 4 corners so no need to hide. We have them in a blockout fabric. The honeycomb structure provides insulation. We usually have them 'bottom up'. That way we see the sky and the trees and not our neighbours.

• Kate
    5 years ago

Hi Kath can you post a photo and where you get them

• Kath
    5 years ago

I bought mine online from Veneta. They are the Smartfit model. See the centre image on the bottom row at: https://www.venetablinds.com.au/14-honeycomb-blinds

Veneta posted me some samples in the colour range I was looking at so I could select the colour. My husband fitted them without too much difficulty. I'm having trouble transferring a photo from my phone, but each corner fitting is about 25mm x 25mm and 10mm high. Ours are mounted on the architrave because we have louvres with a handle that protrudes, but for other windows, within the frame is entirely possible - though as noted above with roller blinds, you'd get some light leakage around the sides if that was a concern.

• gillgrape
    5 years ago

I would consider a Roman blind in a coordinating fabric and a block out 3 pass lining. Install face fix with about 10cm overhang each side to eliminate any light and heat leakage. Also consider fitting the blind higher on the wall above the window, gives illusion of more height and when open they do not hang low to block out light. Roman blind has it’s own concealed headboard so you don’t need a pelmet. You will not need a roller blind. You don’t need sheers in this situation. A roman in a fabric that picks up the carcoal ( look at Warwick fabrics for a start) will add interest to the room and look smart for growing boys.

• KK1000
    5 years ago
    I always thought that Roman blind looks fantastic and I installed it in my bedrooms , well, they only look good . They are hard to pull up and take lot of time to pull down and I had to change it in boys rooms because of the complaining about it. I replaced it with roller blind and everyone is happy. They are more expensive as well. Before you decide go to the showroom and try it out.
  • zaffa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks to you both. I think Romas look nice but concerned about dust accumulating. I also want a crisper look. I will be going rollers. I posted a new thread with my new roller blind dilemma! Feel free to read and contribute if you’re interested!! Thanks to everyone.
  • PRO
    Decoro Custom Interiors
    5 years ago
    Hi Oskuee, I agree roman blinds can look fantastic and they can operate just as beautifully. The ease of lowering/raising a roman blind mainly comes down to the hardware used in the construction of the blind. This element varies in quality and suitability to the blind characteristics. Hopefully now your past experience won't put you off considering the option of a roman blind for future window treatments. All the best, Louise
  • Andrea
    5 years ago
    Roman blind in matching colour to wall, placed outside window recess is definitely the way to go. No need then for hiding ugly roller head, less fussy, more blockout.
  • Susan Clark
    5 years ago

As the mother of teenage sons may I say that roller blinds have the potential to get damaged and dirty and I wouldn’t risk it. Sleepy boys with sweaty hands, grasping at the blind is almost certain to end badly. Why not shutters? V contemporary, easier to clean and easy for sleepy lads to “slap” them open/closed without causing permanent damage. Keep it simple... the KISS policy... where teen boys are concerned.

• siriuskey
    5 years ago

Totally agree with kath, privacy, durable, and light control plus they make a great head board, they will demolish roller blinds KISS

• zaffa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your comments. So much to think about!!!

With Roman blinds, can anyone give any advice on using roller blind fabric? Do the folds seem stiff and stick out too much? Any experiences? Would you say Roman blinds are in keeping with contemporary style?

With plantation shutters, we will need to recess outside of the window (not enough depth in the recess) so will have a boxed frame around the window which I’m not keen about.

With roller blinds, thinking a bonded (same fabric) pelmet to hide the roller which we will back roll and face fit (not in recess).

Thanks to everyone!!
  • KK1000
    5 years ago
    I must say I have used roller blind fabric and it looks good and has a nice fold not to stiff. I have also started blind right under the cornice and made it wider then the window so it has nice presence in the room. But my fabric is light filtering I don’t know how it would work out with block out. All the best.
  • KK1000
    5 years ago
    This is an example not my room.
  • zaffa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks oskuee. Would you have a photo of your blind? Today I was told that Romans have little holes in the seams and to prevent light coming through these holes horizontal aluminium battens need to be installed to the back of the blind at each fold and there will be an end clip at each end of these battens which will be noticeable. So not as simple as I thought. Also, the headboard will project approx 40mm from the wall so there will be light leakage from behind the blind. Given these blinds are in 2 bedrooms directly above the bedhead, I am now rethinking the roller blind option, backroll facefit with a bonded pelmet. Aargghhh!
  • KK1000
    5 years ago
    Sorry I am at work can’t take photo but it’s true what they told you about battens plus it looks really ugly from the street side , it doesn’t worry me because I have sunscreen blind first on the window and Roman on top of it just like the one in the previous photo. You really need to go to the showroom and have a look they all look slightly different, but don’t use Apollo blind company, I am not impressed with product or the service.
  • Andrea
    5 years ago

Zaffa, if you pop down to your local Spotlight store, they have examples of all types of blinds and shutters Great to get an idea of what each look like, various options, pricing, etc, etc. Only, NEVER EVER order shutters from them! I ordered mine from them when building and they took longer than the house to make them! Ended up having to use temporary blinds for months until they arrived. Also, they really let a lot of light in, so not great for kids bedrooms at all! Romans and rollers keep out much more light if you don't want to go down the full curtain with pelmet option. You can also go automatic blinds with rollers if you're concerned about boys touching the blinds too much. Adds around $500 per window I think I was quoted, so depends on your budget. Cannot automate roman blinds apparently. Best of luck in your decision.

• butay
    5 years ago

Hi Zaffa, I have roller blinds in my bedroom. My windows are double hung. When you want to have the blinds down at night and the window open, you can only put the blind to the top of where the window is open to, if it's lower and it's breezy the blind moves around and the metal rod at the bottom hits the frames and keeps us awake. My Mum has them in her bedroom and she has sliding windows, so it doesn't matter whether she rolls her blind down or leaves it up, it still bangs in the breeze. She keeps her window closed and uses a pedestal fan in the summer. It may not bother your boys but I just thought I would mention it.

• zaffa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks butay. Good point. I am planning on having rubber backs installed on the back of the base rails but I know this won’t help the blind moving around. I guess the boys can always use a fan or their aircon!
  • KK1000
    5 years ago
    There is no perfect solution, we are a bit to spoiled for choice these days and we are over thinking everything.
  • zaffa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So true oskuee!!
  • Mary Allison
    5 years ago

You should also consider a bonded blind. This is basically a holland blind covered in fabric of your choice. The fabric provides additional insulation as well as becoming a key for the bedroom decor. I think a type of stripe fabric say in blues or greens or greys would be suitable and have longevity.

• KK1000
    5 years ago
    @ butay, My blind also bangs in the wind when the window is open , I just roll up a towel and place it between window frame and the blind , problem solved .
  • zaffa
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Great idea oskuee! I’ll remember that tip!!

We have decided to go with roller blinds in the boys bedrooms, face fit, with minimal bonded pelmet 90 x 90 to hide the roller, installed at 180 above the top of the window to allow for a 90mm drop before covering the window, in the Serengeti Jackal colour with Matt black base rails.

Thanks to everyone for your help!
  • Kat
    5 years ago

If it were my boys room, I would give them the choice of something which means a lot to them (as long as they could agree!) soccer scene, surfboard, skateboard, cricket, favourite super hero, skyline they particularly like, favourite movie or computer game or similar. When they have left home or too old for same, you can then install something more plain. Try Printed Blinds Australia, you can supply your own image or choose from theirs