Houzz Logo Print
zaffa

Blinds for teenage boys’ bedroom

zaffa
5 years ago
I am in the process of organising window furnishings for my home. Contemporary and new build. I would appreciate some ideas for my teenage sons’ bedrooms. The windows are opaque (due to council regulations and overlooking as they are first floor in inner city Melbourne). Both boys will have a fabric upholstered queen size bed in either charcoal or black, which will sit up to the bottom of the window.
I am thinking of block out roller blinds to match the colour of the walls (given the fabric bedhead).
My dilemma is whether to insert them into the window recess (no architraves) so you don’t see the brackets on the side. But I’m not sure if there is enough depth in the window reveals so the bracket does not protrude from the window recess. Or install them above the window recess (in which case the brackets will be seen). Alternatives to cover the brackets would be (1) a sheer curtain, in a masculine colour like a light grey and would sit like a backdrop behind the bedhead, (2) a pelmet to cover the brackets and roller, but concerned this look is dated, and (3) a double roller with block out behind and sheer roller in front (but not sure what the purpose of the sheer roller would be other than to cover the opaque window).
What do you think? Any other ideas for blinds in teenage boys bedrooms with our configuration (see photo). Thank you!

Comments (44)