Houzz Logo Print
anotherbird

Opening up the kitchen - please comment on the design

another bird
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Dear Houzzers,

Since we bought our house a few years ago I’ve been dreaming of a new kitchen. The one we have now is quite basic and boring, and we are also growing out of it. It took me years to convince my husband that the wall between the kitchen and living needs to go to open our smaller U-shaped kitchen, and I have finally got his OK, exciting times.

Below is what I am thinking about. The idea behind this design is that we have four adults in the house (my parents live with us) and two primary school aged kids, and as they grow and start using the kitchen more, it’s becoming increasingly busy, which is annoying and even unsafe at times. So I’m trying open up the space, spread the working areas and create some duplication for ease of use. We are planning to stay in this house for at least 15 years so the goal of the reno is to make it comfortable for years of use, though money is always a consideration of course.

Compared to what we have now, the cooktop stays where it is, but I want to swap the main sink and DW because the way it is now, the DW is too close to the corner and not very convenient to use. Does this make sense? Is it expensive to swap plumbing for the sink and the DW?

I am also convinced that a small second sink in the island will make our lives much easier, providing access to water when somebody is using the main sink. This will also let me have a large single main sink rather than a double one (disregard the pictures!), which I think will work better.

The small cabinet next to where the microwave is is supposed to be the "cat feeding station", I liked this idea from somebody else's design. The narrow tall cabinet near the oven is for brooms, mops and alike.

The wall that we are planning to knock down runs from the external wall on the left (looking at the plan) just where my proposed island is, you can see its footprint on the plan. This wall has the fridge and cabinetry that I'm planning to move (not the existing cabinetry of course but a rough equivalent of the storage space) to the other wall, currently just vacant.

If it makes any difference, the glass door in the middle of the wall in real life goes to the deck/backyard.

What do you think? We have zero design or renovation experience so any advice will be really

appreciated.

Comments (10)