Houzz Logo Print
anoushkaallumdesign

Injecting Light into the Home - Before & After

Anoushka Allum Design
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My client came to me wanting to make her home feel lighter and brighter and contemporary. My client wasn’t afraid of colour and pattern so she was keen to mix her favourite colours - blues and greens throughout the rooms that we worked on together. She wanted to renovate the whole ground floor which included a room at the front of the house that wasn’t being used, the dark dining room, the kitchen, laundry and powder room and also the back sitting room. We also added a refresh of the stairwell and the bathroom upstairs.

Before:

After:

Rozelle Residence - SmartSpace Interiors · More Info

We made the whole space feel lighter through 2 key areas. Firstly the darkest room being in the middle of the house was the dining room, we removed the laundry that separated the kitchen and dining area, by doing this we connected the whole space and flooded the dining room with more light. Secondly, by removing all of the dark timber in the kitchen, dining room and stairwell and using a much lighter colour palette of whites, greys, blues and greens, this enhanced the feeling of light in the whole home.

Before:

After:

We also achieved more connection through the main living areas by removing the tiles in the back part of the house and matching the existing timber flooring that was already in the rest of the home. Also, by introducing a new lighting plan with a mixture of feature lights and downlights it brightened up all of our rooms.

Check out the entire project here!

Comments (9)