Houzz Logo Print
secret_design_studio

Grand Designs do-it-your-selfers

I was watching an old episode of Grand Designs (Series 1, episode 6) last night about a Queensland couple building a substantial Hamptons inspired home on the Gold Coast. Hubby ran a building business, and the wife had the job of "project manager", and had to make a million design decisions along the way, sometimes on the run.

The poor woman was clearly out of her depth, some of her decisions were questionable. The end result was a bit of a poorly proportioned, mish-mash with polystyrene mouldings and PVC windows, with the Grand Design's host being as charitable as he could. They ended up spending about $1.5m on the home, and she said that all homes go over budget. She admitted she now appreciated what the professionals involved in house building actually do, and why they earn their fees. I don't think she was completely happy with the result.

I have seen similar stories repeated on Grand Designs a number of times, with ambitious people commencing a job, often with a healthy budget, thinking that they will save money by project managing a complex build themselves, and ending up stressed (sometimes financially) and out of their depth.

Why do they do it? What is wrong with engaging an experienced professional? How much is stress, sleepless nights and on-site tears and tantrums really worth?

Regards

Dr Retro

Comments (6)