Houzz Logo Print
retropmum

Layout help - reno open plan lounge/kitchen

retropmum
10 years ago
We have started our reno's on the rest of the house and will shortly be up to redoing our existing lounge area and new kitchen but I have no idea for the design, layout of our new area. Hopefully you can see on the attached plan our lounge area, specifically the following; the existing walls to be removed, an existing old hearth that we are planning to plaster (this may provide an opportunity for some feature 'display nooks' in this wall, due to the fact that we will have to pack out to plaster out approx 250mm), a bay window which altough is not very deep has a lovely aspect out to the front yard (a seat or not??), taking into account traffic areas and walk through's, best place to put the TV, front entry is directly into the main lounge area, we currently have an L shaped modular lounge but hope one day to be able to stretch the budget to have a suite/couches that will fit into the room, large kitchen meals area which we will be putting in an island bench BUT have not decided whether to put in a separate dining table or possible just run a table (one that can extend out) that comes directly off the island bench, the entertaining we do is very informal and we do have a large outdoor table under the portico - still undecided. All these things I have just mentioned are factors (pros and cons) I need to take into account and it's probably because there are so many I am not able to visualise the room, which I don't normally have a problem with. The overall style of the house is probably best descibed as modern country or coastal country. If anyone is able to to offer any suggestions I would be extremely grateful, and also relieved as I need to start making decsions but can't find my direction on this one! Thanks

Comments (6)