Houzz Logo Print
mariaodwyer85

Which white paint to use...?

mariaodwyer85
5 years ago
Hi all, wondering if you can help us with the old ‘which white paint’ chestnut for our new renovation?

Basically it’s the south-facing wing of our house - two bedrooms and a bathroom and hallway.

I’ve attached photos here - the master bedroom has a v large (south facing) steel window, small room has an east facing window and all three have east facing skylights.

It’s quite light but everything is east-facing so it does get darker in the afternoon.

We’ve got paint samples/large swatches of both warm and cool whites which we’re testing but finding it difficult to work out if the cool ones will look too grey (especially the hallway which is quite dark).

Options are (Dulux) - lexicon (quarter/half), white on white, snowy mountains half, antique white, white on white, natural white.

Our floors are blackbutt, so warmer toned.

Would anyone have any thoughts on what is likely to work better in terms of the above? Cool or warm? Or if there’s a better ‘neutral’ white that could work as an option I’d love to hear it.

I also wondered in terms of ceiling whites and trims - should we use a separate ceiling white or should we just use a version (quarter /half) of the wall paint? It seems weird to use a separate ceiling white with white walls but I wasn’t sure what’s standard.

One final question...we were thinking of grey/charcoal blinds - would these make warmer toned walls look yellow?

So sorry for all the questions but we are just going in circles! If you have any thoughts or suggestions we’d be so grateful.

Thanks so much for your help.

Cheers

Maria.

Comments (22)