Houzz Logo Print
janetelizabeth_cronin

Ok to have powder room off central hallway?

JE C
5 years ago

Dear all,

We are at the planning stage of renovating and extending our federation villa and one of the layout options under consideration has the powder room off an extension of the central hallway, (the latter will lead to the new open plan area). In this option, the powder room would have a "proper" door and there would also be another set of doors into the open plan area (so 2 sound barriers altogether to where guests would be). This layout option would allow us to rejig other elements to add a bit of space to the open plan area, which I feel would be a good thing ( I will post the plans for review when we get a bit further, not quite ready yet.)

Our architect feels that it is not a good thing to have a powder room straight off the central hallway - would be interested to know if others agree in principle ? (For context, the addition we are building is in a "good" area and intended to be good quality and well designed but not super - luxury or excessive in size, and we are looking to make the most of the available space that we have to build on - putting the powder room off the hallway instead of down a side passageway would allow us to add a metre in length to the new open plan area whch I feel is a little tight at the moment in the alternative plans , and optimise the size and shape of the family bathroom, laundry and pantry. )

I agree that in the ideal world a powder room might not come off the central hallway but design seems to nearly always involve compromises, and this doesn't seem like a big compromise, but I am (obviously) not an expert.

What do you think? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments (14)