Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline_french8393

Advice for my new project!

Hi guys,

We are moving into our next home/project this week and would love some feedback on my current thoughts on what we would like to do...

It’s a beautiful, run down, Melbourne bayside 1920’s, heritage overlay, double storey home with water glimpses.

This will be home to our family of 5 with 3 girls currently aged 3,6 & 7.

It’s already a substantial home but the current floor plan doesn’t work for us long term and we plan to do a ground floor addition +/- small upstairs addition if required. I would like to think that this will be our family home for many years to come however with my husband I am realistic that may not be the case so am also mindful on making the floor plan very user friendly.

-Downstairs I plan to demolish the current laundry and garage and knock through the current dining room to make an open plan kitchen/living/dining, extending out into the current driveway and potential going all the way along the left boundary to where there will be a long single width garage at the rear of the home that will come out onto the lane way. We are unlikely to use it as a garage for our cars but think it’s important for storage/resale and we would likely connect it to the backyard which we hope to have a small pool so could be a man cave/kids retreat.

-I would like to make the current kitchen into the main bedroom as I prefer it to be downstairs and also add a ensuite/WIR. (Potentially using some of the right side of the current dining space if required)

Upstairs I would ideally prefer to keep as much of the layout the same as possible.

-However I would like the the bedroom at the top of the stairs (to the left of the property) to become a living/study as that gets the afternoon western sun.
That leaves me with 3 bedrooms however I’m concerned the back bedroom is slightly too small and the current bathroom layout could be interesting with 3 girls growing up.

I am meeting with our building designer in the next few weeks to get the ball rolling as with council it could be a lengthy process but would love feedback and suggestions as I enjoy following all the discussions on this site.

Most of the dimensions are on the floor plan but the
- upstairs bathroom is approx 1937mm x 3030
- current kitchen 4134 x 4700

Thanks!

Comments (13)