Houzz Logo Print
tanya_waterman78

Screening ideas please

Tanya Waterman
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

An inconsiderate neighbour has built a screen right against our shared fence, which is against council regulations. He did this to replace a beautiful Lilly Pilly that was a breeding habitat for a pair of King parrots; he said the tree was causing problems with his plumbing. I don’t want to cause trouble by going to the council and making him pull it down, but I’d like to disguise it as quickly and easily as possible. There is a small crazy-paved area there which would make planting a screen such as bamboo difficult. The fence is not in great shape so bolting something to it might cause problems. I have some mobility issues after contracting Ross River fever so a big construction job would also be difficult. Help!

Comments (43)

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Hi Tanya,
    The quickest solution would be to spray the fence black , could look great, even though your neighbour has added a different screen to fence once its painted it could look fabulous, use it to your advantage, or you could put up some wire and grow a creeper
  • Tanya Waterman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Julie, thanks for the suggestions. I had thought of painting the screen also, but the problem there is that they are painted wooden louvres that angle downwards toward the neighbours side. If I painted it there’s no way to stop the paint running down the blades of the louvres. And the worry with planting a creeper is that anything vigorous enough to hide the screen will possibly escape into the viburnum hedge next to the bench. Can you suggest something that is easily controlled? Thanks!
  • Related Discussions

Need internal screen ideas

Q

Comments (2)
    We just had an internal screen installed that we are really happy with and have received many compliments. I've attached a photo for you.
    ...See More

Ideas for privacy/blockout screening in backyard.

Q

Comments (8)
    a quick look on HOUZZ revealed many photos of similar ideas... you may like to check out "garden colonnade or climbing roses" for inspiration and i'll keep looking for something suitable..the idea is to build the structure tall enough so that the top is way above the height of the existing fence and you could also add horizontal panels of lattice as well as the climbers to obscure the neighbours' roof and your shrub roses can be planted between the colonnade and the fence The neighbour's structure looks like it's attempting to block out your house it's just not tall enough...
    ...See More

New roofing/facade ideas - to include a screened outdoor area

Q

Comments (4)
    the shape of the extended roof depends on the available height as which roofing material is used...i notice that the existing verandah has two sets of posts as though it has already been extended and appears to have corrugated iron on the verandah roof which really needs a higher slope to function effectively over greater distances...although it will be so much more work and cost i suggest that the very best result would be achieved if you first decided what size undercover spaces you need and then redesign the whole space rather than adding on an extension ..my suggested small gable is only on top of the existing verandah roof to add some interest instead of having a deeper verandah across the whole front of the house you could add a new area at right angles to the existing house that could is much more generous and avoid changing too much of the original...post a rough floor plan of the house showing inside rooms, verandah (showing all the posts) SIZES, direction of north, and any views, describe your climate and show the distance from the front of the house to any front and side fences how do you plan to use the new space??
    ...See More

Ideas for screening out some townhouses at the back of my place

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Ebony, This is a very interesting challenge! Slender Weavers Bamboo is good, however usually to get height in a screening plant, it will also need to spread. To get the height you need to block the view of the townhouse, I think it will be growing too wide within the laneway. Also, planting in the laneway could prove problematic. I'm assuming this is Council land and therefore they could come along at any time and remove what you have planted (although it doesn't look like much maintenance is performed by Council). You could also face the wrath of your neighbours, or other local residents who might use the lane and feel that you shouldn't be planting there. You would be best to find a solution within your boundary. You could try and extend the rear fence with wires or lattice and plant a climber or I really like the previous suggestion of planting climbers to the verandah posts and block the distant views from on the verandah. Good luck with this challenge!
    ...See More
  • julie herbert
    5 years ago
    You could always tell him that you were going to paint the fence so that he can make arrangements on his side, you could erect screens but that could be costly but it could look great also.
  • Angelina
    5 years ago
    Paint your fence and the timber uprights white or pale grey and leave the louvre panels as they are. Plant an upright shrub in front or some plants in large pots to turn it into a feature.
  • Angelina
    5 years ago
    You could even attach hanging pots to the timber poles as they look strong enough.
  • Tanya Waterman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you both, Julie and Angelina, for your suggestions. I love those screens, Julie, and the idea about hanging plants from the uprights would work as they are very sturdy. Love this opportunity to pick other peoples’ brains!
    5 years ago
    I would paint the fence and the louvre supports charcoal. Then add one or two big white pots with 2 lovely big plants. Good luck with what you decide.
  • Bernadette Staal
    5 years ago

I know this is not your desire but I would contact the council and ask them to check to see if the new construction does meet "code" and will not affect the structure of the fence. If they say it is all correct, then you could move to hiding the eye sore. It may turn out that they will need to remove it and then just a couple of new plants on your side will fill in the space. People can not just do what they want when they want when it impacts neighbours. A phone call will cost you nothing.

• Tanya Waterman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @94236633 thank you for that suggestion, it sounds doable!
  • Tanya Waterman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Bernadette, I already know for a fact that it’s contravening council regulations. I’m cross because I discussed the fence with the neighbour and offered to contribute half to straighten it up and he led me to believe that was all that was being done (and refused my offer of money). But I’m trying to not cause problems as I live in a small seaside town and I’m relatively new here, so I’d rather not make him tear it down. But thanks for the very sensible suggestion.
  • PRO
    Coversoft
    5 years ago
    Hi Tanya, I love black fences it totally changes how your garden will look and disguises an old fence. My advice would be to paint the fence black and the posts around the shutters white keeping it simple will certainly be less of an eyesore and will compliment.
  • PRO
    Coversoft
    5 years ago
    I should add don’t spray unless you can put up large cardboard or plastic behind as too hard to control. I recently painted our entire backyard fences by hand - don’t use undercoat as white comes through just one good coat of Resene extra black and I hosed the fence first which made it go on easier.
  • PRO
    Timandra Design & Landscaping
    5 years ago
    As a professional sustainable advocate, I always try to reduce the impact that I make with design.
    Dull black absorbs heat. But shiny silver, such as the raised fence deflects heat. So I would consider painting the lower portion to blend in with the upper section so that it looks as though this was your choice from the outset.
    Or, you can leave the fence as is and hang plaques from the higher wooden braces in the new fence - if it is a weight bearing structure.
    The new fence doesnt look that bad. But it does make your lower fence look tired. So this is the area for consideration.
    If you could find somewhere for a tall growing bottlebrush would be good. In my state (Vic) I would consider Dawson River Weeper or Kings Park special.
  • Tilly
    5 years ago
    I would love to paint the whole thing in black, picket fence included but The spray paint will leak to the other side.
    Your only option will be to paint the entire fence in the colour of the slats and then a bit of planting and it will disappear.
  • scottevie
    5 years ago

I would politely discuss your disappointment in the appearance from your side and request that they make amends by painting the bare timber supports white for you... you then won't risk them getting upset with you for making changes to a structure on their side of the boundary.

• PRO
    Cooper Design Services Pty Ltd
    5 years ago

I agree with the non-conforming comment. Regardless of you not wanting to not cause problems with your neighbour, without voicing your opinion allows this neighbour to simply do what he wants. I would advise the neighbour that you are seeking Council comment re the fence. It's ugly, over scaled and inconsiderate of him not to have dialogue with you. Perhaps suggest he paints your side white to compensate and then runs some wires and plant some non evasive climbers.

• Elizabeth Bradshaw
    5 years ago
    i actually quite like the fence. sort of quirky.
    why not just paint the lower fence in charcoal or black, as suggested by other clever people in their answers.
    or you could get lattice attached to top part, if that part bothers you, and grow easy creepers on lattice, or even a gorgeous climbing rose like Lorraine Lea, which is a stunning pink; or a yellow climbing rose?
    or red flowering beans or snow peas in the right season.
    or Viburnam Laurestinus is a lovely tough large shrub, white flowering with dark green leaves. which would grow quite fast, and make a lovely hedge.
  • bigreader
    5 years ago
    I’d attach marine ply sheets to the neighbour’s wooden post. It’s cheap and long lasting, your neighbour may even help. If it’s attached properly it will outlast the bottom fence. The hard work in building the supporting structure is already done. Then as suggested paint the whole lot a dark colour and plant whatever makes you happy.
  • Rhonda Whybrow
    5 years ago

You would still be able to screen it with bamboo if you kept them in trough/box planters.

• Luke Buckle
    5 years ago

Such good ideas in this thread. Nice work, everyone.

• PRO
    Daniel Lindahl Architecture
    5 years ago

If your neighbour's new fence goes right to the ground I would suggest removing your own fence and paint the posts on his fence charcoal. Then you wouldn't have the 2-tier look that lets the whole thing down on your side. The 2 tiers draw attention to the fence instead of it being a background thing.

This would give it a unified look that works much better on your side, even though it's not the fence you would have chosen yourself. The bonus is that you would have slightly more space for your plants. With proper planting you will eventually see it as an improvement. I wouldn't recommend bamboo (even though I love bamboo screens) as the neighbour already supposedly had drain problems with the Lilly-pilly, and bamboo is notorious for getting into drains so that would mean all out war. Better to "mend fences" and build good neighbour relations. You have to live next door to them for a long time, so you might as well become friends!

• legendaryflame
    5 years ago
    That has been my thoughts too. Pull the original fence down, as long as the screen goes down to ground level then paint the screening and hang some pots off it.
  • Tanya Waterman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A great big thank you to all of the people who have made such fabulous suggestions. I apologise for not replying to each and every one, I had no idea there were so many clever folks out there. I've been a bit overwhelmed by the number of responses and also the trouble you have all gone to - including sourcing some wonderful pix. As I mentioned in the original post, I am hindered by the after-effects of Ross River fever which means a lot of the great suggestions are too difficult to undertake at the moment (and a skinny wallet means some are out of my price range). I love the idea of removing the old fence but will have to get help to do that, plus there might be security issues for my dogs. The neighbour lives elsewhere, the house is a short-term holiday rental so I barely know him and as I also mentioned, being a newbie to a small seaside town, I don't want to cause trouble by calling in the council. But there are many great ideas here to think about. When I make a decision and complete whatever work I decide upon I will post photos of the end result. Thanks again, you're all legends!

• Janelle
    5 years ago

Unfortunately you can't do anything to his screen without his permission as it is all on his property. You could ask about having it painted to make your side more aesthetically pleasing - possibly use the fact it isn't legal as a bargaining point. I would embrace the screen as it gives you a lot of privacy. Use plantings to soften its appearance. Try to look at the positives and not being confrontational over it is the right way to go.

• Swa Neee
    5 years ago

Hi Tanya,

if you are thinking of a budget alternative some netting and a fast growing vine might be an option?

• Bill Lundy
    5 years ago
    Does the fence continue to the ground behind your fence? I’d totally use it to your advantage! Quite an attractive structure in my opinion - I would just paint the structural beams white or use them as an opportunity to continue your accent colours outside. Depending on what colour your home is I would paint the structure accordingly.

If you were more interested in adding a touch of your own you could pull out the existing fence (your side) and use the structural beams as a base for a slat screen - super simple and easy-ish to erect.

Good luck!! I hope to see an update once you’ve made a decision :)
    Tanya Waterman thanked Bill Lundy
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    I'd add a bit of trellis on top of fence and plant a creeper in a big pot
  • Tanya Waterman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @ Bill Lundy, I’ve had a closer look at the structure. It’s not square to the existing fence, they’ve just whacked the uprights in where they could. Possibly a tree root in the spot that would have made it square? It’s a bodgy job, using repurposed stacked interior louvre doors by the look of them. I don’t think they’ll be standing up to the salt air and sunshine for a long time. Perhaps if I’m patient and just wait six months the whole lot will go away of its own accord? Anyway, there’s a big gap on the left side which my dogs could squeeze through if I demolish the fence. So I think I will have to paint the existing fence (warm grey?) and the new uprights (white). I think the blend of colours and textures is what offends my eye the most (plus the homeless king parrots). The owner won’t have any idea what I’ve done as the only place he can see it from would be my back yard and he’s not likely to get an invitation...
  • Susan Clark
    5 years ago

I know it is hard to stand your ground when you are new in town, but if your neighbour gets away with this he is likely to do something similar - or worse - down the track, assuming you will acquiesce. It’s basic neighbour-hood bullying. I imagine your other neighbours will be glad to see someone standing up to holiday rental landlords, who frequently abuse the amenity and value of adjoining properties in the pursuit of savings or income of their own. Invite the locals into your garden to show them the result for you, if they suggest you are the unreasonable one. This fence could pose a hazard if built poorly but certainly has an impact on your property value. Let the neighbour know how distressed you are by the fence, invite him to view it from your side and advise him you need to get advice on its safety and other impacts on your property, from council and others. If he doesn’t agree to remedy it, your path is clear. You have rights too.

• Louise Davey
    5 years ago

I have light coloured fences and love how the show my garden off. what about a few citrus in pots and espalier them cover the fence and bring the birds back. Also they attract bees. Enhance the colour

• PRO
    Victoria Ross Designs
    5 years ago

Yep, I like all positive thinkers who say to go with louvres, which can do no wrong in my eyes even if recycled. Timber uprights look strong and new with a whitewash stain tying them in better once old paling fence removed as it is the real problem!!

i hear your comment re out of plumb fenceline but how about wire mesh or such in dog vulnerable gap?!

Then I would plant ‘clumping bamboo’, which only creeps like average plants and does not invade...preferable in ground as highly moisture demanding! Gracillus is a good bamboo as grows tall and looks wonderful with trimming if getting too high. OR

plant Star Jasmine with maybe some open sheep fencing wire or single strands utilising posts. this divine smelling climber has glossy evergreen leaves, always looks good and doesn’t get out of control...you will need several maybe up each post and buy mature plants as is only way to buy time!

either way it is going to look great...count your blessings and go for it! May you soon be feeling well again!

Victoria B Ross

Designer

• Gallifrey
    5 years ago

I would ask him to remove them. If he refuses you should go to the council. Louvres in such a outdoor position at an illegal height is ridiculous

• Bill Lundy
    5 years ago

Not to say you should just deal with it - but I have found some inexpensive screens that could probably just be put up with a few large nails, or maybe a freestanding trellis? You can also find a variety of free standing fences and panelling that would require no interference with the neighbours structure

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/our-range/garden/landscaping/garden-screens/screen-panels 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/garden/landscaping/plant-support/plant-trainers

If you were going to go for some plant trainers I would get a screen up behind - so you don't have to wait for the plants to flourish to cover the area

• Tanya Waterman
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you again to everyone for your suggestions, almost all of which have great merit. On reflection, I think removing the old fence is fraught with potential drama, not the least of which is if the idiot neighbour decides to remove the screen which is wholly within his property, we are left without a fence. Many of you seem to have difficulty understanding my reluctance to force the removal of the illegal screen. In an ideal world that is what should happen but as I have already explained my health is up the creek at the moment (never underestimate the effect a tiny mosquito can have on your previously rather pleasant life) and I have learned the hard way with a previous neighbour in another State that councils have limited power and/or care factor when it comes to issues such as this. A threatening letter with no follow up, which was what happened with another non-life threatening issue several years ago ended in an enemy being made with whom I had to live side by side until eventually I sold my house. I am thinking of using several suggestions which will mean bolting new uprights to my side of the existing fence and attaching a lightweight screen of some sort and growing a creeper or preferably a tree in the existing garden bed to the right of the bench which will help replace what we have lost (we being me and the king parrots). Thank you to Bill for the links to the Bunnings screens, I’m heading in there tomorrow to have a closer look. Again, thank you to all!
  • Angelique Mortleman
    5 years ago

Lillypillies are relatively fast growing ... especially if they get good light and water. Choose one that suits your location and plant it to replace the one that was removed on your side (you could even grow some varieties in large pots). Hopefully your parrots will return in time and in a short period of time you won't be able to either fence.

I feel your pain though as I too have a neighbour that moved in - raised all vegetation from their block and then built and cheap and ugly wooden fence which is below the level of ground on my side so only a matter of time before it starts rotting.

• me me
    5 years ago
    Tanya, I fully agree with your position. It's what I would do too.
  • Jason K
    5 years ago

How irritating for you. I would put up bamboo sheeting so you dont have to bury it into anything, along with plantation to blend it in.

I also would have another chat with your neighbour. Communication is key is any form of relationship and hopefully theyre not too much of a jerk and will listen.

Best of luck mate

• Lyn Huppatz
    5 years ago
    You seem to have decided what you want to do. I wish you the best of luck Tanya and hope you can find a relative,friend or neighbour on the other side to give you a hand. We would love to see a pic when finished.
  • Creativelychallenged
    5 years ago

I also say bamboo. It grows very fast.

• Craig M
    5 years ago
    Do your neighbours have a pool?
  • Creativelychallenged
    5 years ago

Craig, no they don't

• Monika Kryger
    3 years ago

Curious what happened in the end!