Houzz Logo Print
elise_loydon

Help with Duplex floorplan

Elise Loydon
5 years ago

Hi, we are about to commit to building a duplex with Masterton and are working through ideas for tweaks to the standard floorplan. Any ideas or advice you can offer would be so appreciated! This is our first time building and we hope to stay in this house for the long haul!

1. We have already requested that the back wall be extended to remove the L shape family room and make it one big space with sliding stacker doors opening to the alfresco area outside. The drawings haven't been updated to reflect this yet.
  2. I don't like the layout of the downstairs powder room, linen and laundry. I would prefer to create a small 'mudroom' here that the internal garage door opens directly into. So change the configuration to utilise the whole space + the under stair space to have a small powder room, laundry cupboard incl washing machine (no dryer) and storage. A sliding cavity door along the wall for access straight into the living room. The total dimensions are 3.5m long x 1.8m wide thereabouts.
  3. I don't have much need for the small side patio with french doors however it's expensive to change because the wall is structural due to upstairs bedrooms. If money were no object I would bring this space back internal and use it as a little study.
  4. I don't love the layout of the ensuite and WIR in the master bedroom. I think it might work well to flip them and have a sliding door that accesses an ensuite from the bedroom then a WIR off the ensuite. So you access WIR via the ensuite. I'd love to fit a double shower in there but storage space is important too. I think a U shaped WIR wastes a bit of space so probably just storage down two walls of the wardrobe.

Once again, really appreciate any ideas or advice you may want to share with me as we work through the changes! Thanks.

Comments (12)