Houzz Logo Print
catherinedemeurinteriors

A cracking transformation of a 1970s brick home

Catherine de Meur Interiors
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

This 1970s architecturally built home was stripped back to the bare bones except some of the wood panelling and the brickwork with the vision of bringing it into 2018.

These lovely clients I had previously worked with on their last home, bought this property because they loved the outlook and they knew it had great potential. They wanted to respect the architectural elements of the home and enhance its great features such as the high ceilings and wood panelling. They also wanted to create an environment that was light and airy, where they could exhale when they walked into their home.

Before:

After:

Lugarno Residence · More Info

Budget was a consideration as unexpected building costs started to eat into the design budget so we had to get creative with where money was spent. The builders and I worked together with the client to create a space that my clients love… white which was a perfect jumping off point for a light and airy aesthetic. To add warmth into the home we used light oak flooring which helps to ground the space. Texture was also used to create visual interest in the home.

We sourced the right engineered oak flooring to fit the light and airy brief whilst still being warm which helped to ground the space. The ceilings are very high and we wanted to enhance and embrace these. The clients wanted an all-white kitchen with touches of personality, achieved by using Smartstone and the grey on the back cabinetry added the touch of warmth and personality the kitchen needed.

Before:

After:

We wanted to add small touches of elegance to the spaces which was achieved particularly in the powder room because there was so much white in the spaces we needed to capture and enhance all the texture the original home offered us in order to create visual interest in what could have otherwise been uninspiring spaces.

Before:

After:

Check out the entire project here!

Comments (49)