L-shaped living-dining furnishing ideas

Melt In ACT
November 20, 2018

Our new rental with L-shaped living/dining - we are in a small non-Australian country where not much is available locally (certainly no floor coverings, much as we would love rugs).

Looking for furniture ideas, we can get stuff made locally and trades are generally good. I am desperate to ditch the picnic-table-as-dining!

And... go!

Lupton Interior Design
    Hi, could I just check something. Are you in Australia? or overseas? Do you have access to online shopping?
  • JE C
    Hi, I suggest you post a simple sketch plan of the room with dimensions, doors, windows as you will get better responses then. Love your floors.

Picnic table is OK just needs some chairs to match the small TV table, which is in a funny position? Floors are beautiful, Lounges need rearranging, you could purchase a couple of large carpet squares and have them edged. JE C has a point.

Melt In ACT thanked siriuskey
  • Susan Ballard
    Needs rugs and zoning and a decision re colours
    Melt In ACT thanked Susan Ballard
  • Melt In ACT

Attached is a hand-drawn sketch of the room. Working off limited resources until our stuff arrives from overseas. We don't have access to online shopping, sadly, at least not for bulky items like rugs, which cannot be purchased locally.

Likely I will have to stick with dark furniture as the wood isn't good quality so they cover it with a dark stain. Perhaps I could self-source some cheaper pieces and play with coloured paint (I like aqua, red, green) - I very much doubt my landlord would be keen to buy stuff like that. "Bland" is their general theme!

I should be able to find some better lampshades (or maybe re-cover the existing ones) and looking at the wiring should be able to hang multiple pendants over the dining table. I need to be able to use the lamps in the lounge area for reading as the overhead lighting is very dim.

It's a horrible space and nowhere to put the TV (a must with kids) nor somewhere to properly group a nice seating area since the main thoroughfare is from the bottom of the picture (front door). All the doors are working and cannot be closed off. They all open inwards to the L-shaped area.

We have had a play with the furniture and I will post a couple of shots further down.

• Melt In ACT

So here is the re-jigged arrangement of the couch area, from two angles. We will be able to get some big art to hang on the wall. Perhaps our TV could be wall-mounted on a retractable arm to the right hand side between the curtain and the rear corner. I'd look for an interesting shaped local coffee table and/or side tables. (I can always repurpose these ones in our bedroom as we have no side tables in any of them!)

• Melt In ACT

Moving furniture around made me re-think our entry. The double doors in the L-shaped zone seem to be used as the defacto front door, but there is a REAL front door people could use. As a test we have now blocked the double doors off from the outside by repositioning our outdoor furniture on the porch. The real front door is to the left of the picture - by using the real entryway our visitors will now enter the L-shaped zone through the door at the bottom of the dining area.

Feeling quite pleased with this idea - that gives us a whole area of the house that is currently just used as shoe storage and entranceway, to use for living - potentially a kids play space or a quiet coffee corner as the light in through the doors is the best in the house.

• JE C
    Hi I think that is a great idea re blocking off the doors. What does the fireplace look like - any chance you could place the Tv above or beside it in the potential kids area ? Also, do you think you could find a local person to make slipcovers for the couches? Maybe an oatmeal colour would be a great neutral base for cushions? The shape of them is fine. Finding a way to get a rug would make a terrific difference.
  • JE C
    Would it work to rotate both the couches by 90 degrees so that neither of them are blocking the light from the window? Then a big artwork above one of them would look terrific and help make that a zone.
    Melt In ACT thanked JE C
  • JE C
    Also, I was wondering if your rattan pieces are locally sourced. If so perhaps you could go for an island style interior ( look on Pinterest, at India Hicks's style) which could work with dark timbers and rattan/wicker.

Do you use the fireplace? If not you could place a lounge in front of it so that you are facing the TV in it's current connection position. Big thing that stands out it that there's nothing personnel in the rooms yet like large art and family photos. The lounge across the dining entrance moved to the end wall for better flow with the kids. The outdoor cane chairs would work as carvers each end of the picnic table and taken outside when needed. Arrange the furniture and take more photos to show us

• Melt In ACT

We rotated the couches and looked for art today &

will continue the search. If we can’t find decent art I may just look for some bright Printed fabric.

We have to use the fireplace in winter as there is no other heating so the other couch will stay inlimbo since the house is too small to move it.

• Melt In ACT

...then we decided to use one of the bench seats as a table and I like it :)

• Melt In ACT

A colleague just returned from holidays with this light for his house. Thoughts on his this would work in either/both lounge/dining? Would the current wall sconces be too much in addition?

• julie herbert
    Hi,
    What a great job you have done, that light will look fabulous and it will balance your room, love your outdoor furniture, if you place a pot at your front door or either side of door this will define your entry even more, love the bench for your coffee table, your room is looking great, a fab artwork and a large plant will look gorgeous...love your floors too.
  • JE C
    It' s definitely on track, yes, I feel that light would fit with the room. Looking much more welcoming and I like your new coffee table too.
  • Melt In ACT

Art shopping..... I love this but thinking a landscape shaped pic may fit better

• JE C
    Hi Melt- is this for above the couch?
  • julie herbert
    Hi Mel,
    That is pretty spectacular, love it .
  • KK1000
    There is lots of brown in the room It needs to be refreshed with blue. Blue is perfect partner to brown and you already have blue curtains so by getting couple blue rugs you can define the zones. I think there is nothing wrong with your table and benches if there is a rug underneath. Make sure you get a rug one size bigger then you think you need, trust me, ha ha. One or two large white plant pots and you are done don’t overcrowd the place.
  • KK1000
    As far as light fittings go I don’t think the one you posted is best for your place. Something lighter and bigger and more open would be better in my opinion. Same for the artwork. Its very personal but something lighter would make the house happier.
  • KK1000
    Some more light fittings ideas
    Melt In ACT thanked KK1000
  • Melt In ACT

So many good ideas on lights. I have someone on the hunt for nice fittings here. Locals love chandeliers (cheap ones, not necessarily nice) and over-wrought creations that just aren't me nor would they suit the house. I love some of the suggestions here.

In a win I actually found someone who has some imported carpets. A very small range of mostly plain colours but hopefully I can find something big enough to fit under the couches and keep our feet warm.

We were also thrilled to find a single furniture shop with some reasonably modern furniture. They have this round table and chairs in a 6-seater combo, in stock. With the chairs pulled out, like in the picture we would have clearance of about 50cm behind each chair.

Our dining room is 3.75m x 3.9m an there's a photo of the dining space in the very first post.

Thoughts on this shape versus the traditional shape we currently have?

Alternatively they also have this lovely traditional long table which we also liked, which made me think we could just get the existing picnic table re-finished and then perhaps buy these chairs to go with it.

So that's our Christmas break blown, as we will be driving all over town (nothing closes here) looking for house stuff!

• KK1000
    I love round table and chairs can you give me the name of the shop, I am looking for chairs in that style but most of them are cheep copies. Thanks and have nice Xmas and enjoy your shopping.
    Melt In ACT thanked KK1000
  • Melt In ACT

KK1000 its made in Ethiopia, not sure its sold elsewhere ;)