Bathroom walk-in shower for minimal splash

Robbi Zed
November 24, 2018

Just wondering if I need the glass panel at the end of this shower? It's 1200 X 900 and having a tile base. I really want a walk-in shower - the less glass panels the better. The lady at Reece told me that there definitely WON'T be much splash at the end and that I am safe to go without a door if that's my preference. She said that the rain head shower bases angle straight down and if anything I might get a few drops near the toilet but nothing to worry about. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. Robbi

Dr Retro House Calls

Robbi,

Best of luck keeping your toilet paper dry.

I don't know how the Reese sales lady can be so definitive about your splash distance. It will depend on the position of the shower rose (not shown on the plan), the height of the rose, the water pressure, and the height and size of the person showering. Your floor will also need to be properly graded, and I would add another floor waste to be on the safe side.

She may be right, but if it was my bathroom I would not risk it, as I hate mopping floors. It is also tricky to add in a frameless shower screen after the tiling has been completed, if she is wrong.

As I said, best of luck in keeping your toilet paper dry - your recessed cavity sliding door will limit the opportunity to fix the toilet roll holder to this wall. With small bathrooms there is so much to consider to get it right, and mistakes can be expensive to rectify.

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

Robbi Zed thanked Dr Retro House Calls
  • mchamilton
    I have 2 walk in showers and would say you would want a min of 1500mm to keep everything dry, but would depend where the shower head is placed.

Could you design it so you could try without but if needed add the glass panel in if it doesn't work out for you?
    Robbi Zed thanked mchamilton
  • me me
    I have a walkin shower; however, I think your shower is too small to be a walkin. I think that you will also need a door on the shower.
    Robbi Zed thanked me me
  • Robbi Zed

The Reece lady was actually running the workshop so she seemed very knowledgable and confident in what she was saying. She pointed to a 1200X900 shower in store and said that you wouldn't need a screen on the end. She said that the water head, if positioned coming straight down from the ceiling close to the far wall (where the vanity is) - then the water is designed to come straight down and that you might get a few minor splashes where the toilet is but certainly nothing like is being described here?

• dreamer
    When I showered this morning I took extra notice. My shower is walk in 2000 x1000. We have a rain shower head from ceiling. The small splashes did reach to 1200, as this is the length of my side wall. If you have the rain shower head positioned too close to wall, Then you might find you a not standing comfortably when having a shower. Our shower head centre, is 450 from end wall. This could be changed by maybe 50mm, depends on your own personal space required for a comfortable shower.
    Robbi Zed thanked dreamer
  • dreamer
    It also depends on the person who is showering. Their height and build.
    Robbi Zed thanked dreamer
  • me me
    My main bathroom has a 900 x 900 shower with tri panel sliding door. When one panel broke and there was a one third gap, on the end furthest from the shower head, there was a lot of water splashing out onto the adjoining floor.
    Robbi Zed thanked me me
    Dr Retro House Calls

If you are having a rain head shower at the vanity end of the recess then make sure that you have adequate waterproofing and proper details to the window in your shower. Your standard window with timber reveals and MDF architrave will just rot out. I tend to avoid designing windows in showers as it is tricky to get the waterproofing details correctly built, which just leads to long term ongoing problems.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

Robbi Zed thanked Dr Retro House Calls
    MB Design & Drafting

'There won't be much splash.....' but it depends on your opinion of how much splash is acceptable.... I'd go will glass or a tiled wall to contain it.

Robbi Zed thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • me me
    Do you really need the study nook in the adjoining room? Perhaps it could be incorporated into the bathroom space.
    Robbi Zed thanked me me
    Paul Di Stefano Design

Unless you have a walk in shower over 1800mm long it's not a safe option. A door is recommended. A fancy shower head with supposed "splash limiting technology" positioned wherever outputs water regardless, and it's the water hitting your body and bouncing off that which will cause the splashing beyond the shower. You can still have a nice seamless look with integrated tiled base and frameless panels/door.

Robbi Zed thanked Paul Di Stefano Design
  • William Hook

What are the best ideas for luxury bathrooms?

luxury bathrooms should include separate toilet, giant walk in shower, extra wide vanity with drop in basins, in wall mirrored wall cabinets, underfloor heating and best option would be someone else to do the cleaning

Paul Di Stefano Design

....also if there's room a freestanding bath that outlooks to a tranquil private garden area or an expansive amazing view

• William Hook

Anyone can share the pictures of latest bathroom fittings?

• Jan Dobson
    Hi oklouise, just a quick query re your luxury bathroom....why drop in basins, particularly? [I am leaning toward this style because I’m concerned about ease of cleaning, but] I would have thought vessel sinks would be considered more luxurious

for us luxury is all about comfort and convenience and the "non vessel" style basins (including drop in and combined counter basins) feel more spacious, are not such a hazard for accidental bumps, take up less bench space, look less cluttered and are often less expensive ... we have the luxury of big windows with private garden views, space for a chair, a fold down shower seat, wheelchair friendly shower with handrails, freestanding clothes and towel racks, wall hung vanity and toilets, a walk in hydro therapy spa bath, in wall and underbench storage, gorgeous towels and shower curtains in preference to glass screens but luxury is different for many people and depends on budget and available space ...in the meantime we have a $2 plastic soap dish until we discover the perfect alternative as luxury is having what we like and not being subject to the latest fashions,

• Jan Dobson
    Wow, your bathroom sounds gorgeous, oklouise. We’ve chosen practicality over charm perhaps, but I think light (window and skylight), warmth (heating), accessibility and ease of cleaning will make me happier than a beautiful, but difficult to clean behind, freestanding bath for example. I think you do a great job encouraging people here to consider other options but to follow their own aesthetic. Should be more of it. Also seating in bathrooms, more of that too :)

thanks Jan, stop encouraging me!! i also prefer a built in bath with a ledge for the bath toys and candles and we think our bathroom has charm because it's comfortable to use and easy access for young, old, disabled and cleaning but our style choices may not suit others .... we prefer the non splash easy access of an extra long shower curtains and are very pleased with our very small floor tiles (meant for a swimming pool) as we've always found tiny floor tiles are non slip and are a great price compared to mosaics...the only thing missing is the fairy godmother who will do the cleaning while i'm browsing HOUZZ for inspiration for the next project ...good luck with your choices

• lumpets

Our walk in shower was 900 wide with a 1200 glass panel. We had a combined shower head on a rail with overhead rain shower. Very slight splashing extended about 200mm beyond this but it was never an issue.

Robbi Zed thanked lumpets