Houzz Logo Print
melissa_bywater

Help me choose the right dining chairs

Melissa Bywater
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi everyone! I bought this incredible table and am struggling to find the right chair. the dark chairs need to go as I find the high backs close the space. the timber chair I'm considering repurposing and recovering but trying to find the right combo of fabric and paint to go with the table. my walls are painted Dulux Ancient Ruin 1/8th strength and my tiles are a warm grey.

many thanks for your tips.

Comments (46)

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Hi Melissa,
    What a fabulous table and I love that bench, a few inspiration photos for you plus throw a fur over your bench for a real stylish look, you could mix the chairs as well using a steel look to compliment light fittings, could look fabulous
  • Related Discussions

Need help to choose right size of chairs for living area.

Q

Comments (2)
    Looks like you have a very contemporary look going. Why must they be white? Also they need to be wider than ones you had. 36" across. A bigger chair with chrome legs would look nice. What else is in room?
    ...See More

Need help in choosing a dining table open kitchen/dining

Q

Comments (6)
    A glass dinning table with dark timber legs in a X cross look in the middle of table will be ideal . You can still see the beautiful floor tiles and the dark timber legs will look amazing over the grey tiles. Have full fabric greyish brown chairs with same leg as the table.
    ...See More

Help us choose the right spot for furniture for our family room

Q

Comments (43)
    No single chairs (yet). The blue lounges are 100cm deep by approx 198cm long. I did place them adjacent one another to see if I could have that configuration but the one against the external wall extended past the door opening and it just didn't look right. So I presumed a cnr sofa with the short side against the external wall or sofa with chaise would probably be the best option. It is possible that I could get a 2 seater but would have the challenge to make sure it complemented the three seater rather than clash. There appears to be more choices for rhf sofas than lhf.
    ...See More

Help me find the right dining table

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Lisa Kate You could go for a contrast to the timber chairs and floor with a white table- something like a Tulip table is a design classic. Just be aware of the seat height of the chairs you bought and any potential table height. Also the wishbone chairs cant be pulled all the way in because of the curved back so you will need more space around the setting. Best wishes
    ...See More
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

Love your new table, it really deserves some new chairs to finish it off, keeping in mind budget and that the table has loop legs ie: a bar on the floor at each end, you will need to choose chairs with four legs and no bars on the floor, the black metal chairs are very affordable and have been ava

ilable from Kmart, the others will be more expensive like the lovely Wish bone chairs above that Julie H posted, just love them.

• bigreader
    5 years ago
    I love the black Thonet bentwood chairs, the black metal Helix Chairs and the Black Wishbone Chairs suggested above. All amazing designs. You can find replicas at many stores.

An idea to repurpose your existing wood chair would be to paint it matt black and recover the seat. For fabric ideas I’d look at Cloth Fabrics, Utopia Goods and everlasting Marimekko. Depending on the size of the seat it can be cost effective to buy cushion covers, slip them over the seat and secure with fabric staples or upholstery pins.
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    5 years ago

Black Thonet.

• ton12h
    5 years ago
    Black Tolix style chairs would look great and there are so many places that do affordable replicas, I think the metal chairs would go really well with the metal legs on your gorgeous table
  • Melissa Bywater
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm actually quite liking these style of chair. thank you everyone so far for your suggestions. now just thinking which seat colour? has anyone sat in these and know if they are comfortable?

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    These are the most comfortable chair to sit in, perfect choice for your beautiful table, I think black seat would look fabulous
  • Tilly
    5 years ago
    I have a similar table, noticed your wire bar stools and your pendant.
    I also had wire stools so I just followed the theme with the dining chairs.
    I really like it, I actually bought 10 chairs and I keep one as my bedroom chair and one as a study chair, so when I need to seat 10 it’s an easy fix.
  • siriuskey
    5 years ago

The

wishbone chairs are certainly the most comfortable chairs having arms I would choose the light seat to tie back to the table and add warmth

• Tilly
    5 years ago
    I also love arms on chairs but you need to consider the heights.
    My table is quite chunky and low and everyone would end up with squashed fingers.
  • bigreader
    5 years ago
    I love the black Wishbone with the light seat. They add some texture to the room. Be careful with your height measurements so the chairs can be pulled in to eat comfortably without knocking on the table.
  • Melissa Bywater
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    we didn't end up getting the wishbone chairs. sent my uncle to try them out and he found them uncomfortable. especially if you have long legs or are a bigger person the nobbly bits dug into side of legs. back to some of the other options
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 years ago

Have you considered a classic Kartell Louis Ghost Chair? This is a truly versatile piece that works really well with traditional, contemproray and cross-over interiors. Visually they make the table the hero piece, and don't compete with it. There are reproductions available but I don't think that they are as durable as the original Kartell. In addition they can be stacked, and also taken outside. There is also an armless version available.

https://www.spacefurniture.com.au/louis-ghost.html

new project · More Info

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• Melissa Bywater
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>thanks Dr retro I see what you mean by making the table stand out but not my style.

I did find these on Gumtree and going to get these bentwood arm chairs to restore. reupholster and paint black
  • Melissa Bywater
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Tilly
    5 years ago
    I absolutely love upcycling, great idea.
  • Melissa Bywater
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I ended up buying those chairs to up cycle. going to paint black just tossing up on fabric. these two are my faves

• Melissa Bywater
    Original Author
    5 years ago

we have this rug too

• Tilly
    5 years ago

Both nice choices. the first one might be the better choice with the rug but either will work.

• JE C
    5 years ago
    I'm with Tilly, like the first one.
  • bigreader
    5 years ago
    I like fabric that is the bigger piece draped over the chair. Are the chairs going on the rug or just nearby?
  • Melissa Bywater
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    that is the rug nearby. the rug in the original photo under the table is the rug the chairs will be on. they are both in same room.
  • rwalton5
    5 years ago

You've considered a mix of chairs? The wishbones you like for yourselves, plus a couple of bigger chair for visitors such as your uncle. The bigger could be pulled away from the table or stored/used somewhere else in home when big visitors are not around.

• Melissa Bywater
    Original Author
    5 years ago

hey we are still up cycling our chairs but I've been busy sanding back some of our existing dark stained furniture then I oiled one with Boiled Linseed Oil with the intent to clear varnish but I'm not sure if it is going to tie in with the table now. any suggestions on how I can soften it with the right accessories because the grain in the wood is so gorgeous.

• Tilly
    5 years ago
    Looking really lovely Melissa, you have definitely caught the upcyling bug now.
    I think once you’ve added your few accessories, books plant whatever it will be perfect.
    Keep attacking, your on a roll.
  • Melissa Bywater
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Tilly if we can use what we have why not. I'm not looking forward to sanding our wooden wine rack in our buffet. I'm tempted to cut it out and insert a metal one
  • Tilly
    5 years ago

obviously I haven’t seen your wine rack but I do know that there is a product for prepping called ESP sanding prep. I have used it years ago to prep my kitchen Laminex to be painted.

With the wine rack, you would scrub with steel wool soaked in ESP. this will eliminate the need to sand or sugar soap.

Then maybe you could spray paint the interior rack to match your dining chairs and just sand the exterior timber.

as I said, only an idea as I am only imagining what your wine rack looks like.

Bunnings sells ESP.

• Melissa Bywater
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ha they look a bit dusty. I had an attempt and sanding them. groan

• Tilly
    5 years ago

nice shape and storage and your right a lot of work, a lot easier if you paint . Stripping all those little bits back to basic will drive you mad.

• Melissa Bywater
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    yeah I could sand the front faces and oil then paint inside. so many possibilities.
  • dreamer
    5 years ago
    Why do you need to sand back your wine rack cabinet? I think that it will match the black legs of your dining table. I am concerned that you are going to end up with too many variations in wood colours. Maybe just sand it back slightly to have a distressed look.
  • KK1000
    5 years ago
    Is the cabinet black or dark brown?
  • Melissa Bywater
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    the cabinets I have are a really dark chocolate stain over Tasmanian hard wood. these are really solid good pieces hence want to reuse them
  • wendan26
    5 years ago

The right dining chairs are ones you sit in and are completely comfortable sitting in them for a period of time, they can be any design as your table is not one that is an exaggurated style.

• PRO
    Red Fox Runs
    5 years ago
    A rattan chair with sled legs in black would look good ! Softens all that timber and the smooth lines of these would be a nice soft contrast to the diagonal lines in the table.
    These are from Red Fox Runs
  • PRO
    home
    5 years ago
    I second the Ghost chair just purchased 8 for our dining table which I wanted to make the feature

Good luck
  • Sharon Barclay
    5 years ago
    The problem with the current chairs is that they are too chunky, they look heavy.
    Wishbone or bentwood chairs would be great. They are light and do not block the area.
    Black, wood or a combination of colours would look great.
  • Sharon Barclay
    5 years ago
    Liking the second material
  • Melissa Bywater
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>update
  • Melissa Bywater
    Original Author
    5 years ago

progressing with these chairs just waiting on the upholstering

• Sharon Barclay
    5 years ago

Melissa, if you have children forget any sheepskin throws over the bench. wood metal and vinyls are the easiest to clean/maintain. Do you have any colour?- yellow or orange would look great against the blue rug and would look good with you material piecs..

• Melissa Bywater
    Original Author
    5 years ago

an update we just got the upholstering done just need to attach them properly to the chairs. what a difference. thanks for all the advice you gave it has really helped and so many of you have a talented eye for design.

• julie herbert
    5 years ago
    Looks fabulous Melissa.
  • Tilly
    5 years ago
    Just amazing what you can achieve with a bit of paint and hard work. Love them, you must be so happy.
    Don’t forget to buy a can of scotch guard.
  • Tilly
    5 years ago
    Just amazing what you can achieve with a bit of paint and hard work. Love them, you must be so happy.
    Don’t forget to buy a can of scotch guard.