webuser_482633538

Kitchen Splashback Dilemma

AnneM
December 1, 2018
Currently renovating my kitchen and can’t quite decide on the splashback. Kitchen benchtops & cupboards are all black so would like a brighter colour for contrast and to open up and make the space look bigger. So, trying to decide between a white marble-look (with minimal grey veins) glass splashback or a mirror splashback. Photo of my current kitchen is posted here. Any suggestions, ideas, comments would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• dreamer
    What is your preference for design. Colourful, neutral, industrial contemporary? There seems to be a lot of different things happening in your kitchen at the moment, including the white contemporary doors. What are you keeping, apart from cabinets?
  • AnneM
    Going for modern/contemporary. Colour scheme is black & white. Walls have just been repainted from dark grey to (cool blueish) white all throughout with blueish grey feature walls. Living area mostly white furniture, kitchen mostly black but needing some contrast. Pendant lights are newly installed and staying—something I thought would add some accent & splash of colour in what otherwise would be a very dark kitchen. Cupboards are staying black to cut costs. So, the only option I have and budget left for kitchen reno is for a new splashback. Thought of going for either white (marble-look) glass splashback to tie-in with the mostly white living area OR a mirror splashback to match the glass pendant lights.
  • dreamer
    In my opinion, the pendants are dominating the kitchen space. I would install a pure white backed glass splash back. Not marble, not mirror. The pendants are enough in the room. This would add to your black and white contemporary theme, and let the coloured lights be the hero in the space.
  • AnneM
    Good point there. The pendants are the main attraction in the kitchen. So, should definitely scale back on the splashback and stick to plain white glass. Many thanks for the input Dreamer.
  • JE C
    I agree with Dreamer, but it will be important to choose the right white- perhaps the wall colour or that colour in a different strength. Also to make sure the glass chosen does not give a greenish hue.
  • AnneM
    Thanks JE C. Will definitely keep that in mind when choosing my white splashback.

Hi there, So the only thing you are looking to change is the splash back? not sure why you need to, just need lighting below over head cabinets including the range hood to brighten up when needed. You mentioned having white furniture so I think you need something other than white My choice would be clear mirror which will reflect light and you will be able to see the room behind you when using the cooktop. As others have said the lights dominate the kitchen

• AnneM
    Thanks for your suggestions, siriuskey. Splashback definitely needs changing as colour’s too dark. Need a brighter kitchen even without any lights on. Thought about the mirror splashback initially but with the colourful pendant lights and everything in the living area being reflected onto the mirror splashback, won’t that make the kitchen too busy with all the reflections? Gravitating more towards the plain white glass splashback so the main focus will be the pendants. By the way, I will also have a triptych painting on the wall opposite the kitchen (in the living area) with the same colours as the pendant lights.

I think you are going too black and white, get a mirror and stand it against the splash back, I imagine that the fridge will be stainless which will also add to the kitchen. The lights are too high to show in the splash back

Any photos to show the rest of the room

• JE C
    Hmmmm...one issue to think about is that the new splash back will need to be cut around the extractor fan.... I'm actually thinking now that something that doesnt contrast too much ( ie darker) like the existing tiles may be quite good in the sense that the extractor fan doesnt stand out, it blends in so that the lights draw the attention. The colour of the tiles sits nicely with the floor and the black and the lights.....what furniture will sit in front of the island bench?
    I’m the opposite from white - I’d go for a shiny small format black tile for the splash back. Smaller tiles will be easier to work around existing fittings and gloss will reflect light. My second choice would again be a small format gloss tile but in aubergine to match one of the lights.

One of my pet hates is looking at a blank wall while cooking and everything is going on behind you, that's why I have my cook top in the Island

. Any glass or mirrored splash back could be joined at the widest point of the range hood or perhaps it might be suggested that the range hood is removed to allow for a single sheet to be fitted.

The Professional that you employ to quote will most likely supply both coloured glass and mirror and can advise you.

An electrician can advise on better lighting but that won't help day time light, do you need a sky light?

How long ago did you install this kitchen

• Tilly
    I really think the lighting that you have is too distracting and the reason why you are struggling.
    Also the pendants you have don’t really allow the best lighting for a kitchen, more of a mood lighting.
    I would consider changing them to the ones I have attached as they would give you more light and look more centred.
    Then as your kitchen is very symmetrical (my fav) I would soften it with marble button tiles and seal the grout.
    I like to keep my palette simple and add the colour and timber with accessories.
    Like timber knife block, a potted plant. Black wire chairs with timber seats.
    Also I think your current lighting would be really lovely as a set in different heights as a feature elsewhere.

My favourite light's Tilly,

I'am thinking that this property has recently been purchased and AnnM is changing to suit her personnel style, hence the new pendants that she wants to keep, so we need to help her work with that

• Tilly
    Will have to disagree in part with you on this one Siriuskey.
    AnneM did ask for any suggestions, ideas or comments. I do agree totally with you that these lights are really beautiful mood lights.
    Which is why I suggested Anne use them elsewhere.
    Kitchens require task lighting.
    In the end we are all just giving our opinions and trying to help.
    Keep attacking Siriuskey, liking so many of your ideas.
  • cloudpants

I agree that the current splashback and pendant lights are not sympathetic with each other.
    If you want to keep the lights, then I would stick to a 'glam' style kitchen when considering the splashback. This could be mirror, metal, white - same tone as walls, or shiny black (but I know you want to lighten it).. Here are some inspiration photos.

• cloudpants

I love these mirroredsubway tiles. Not sure how practical they would be though.

Tilly that wasn't meant to be any kid of attack on anyone or anything.., AnnM Mentioned that the lights were new and were to stay. They might not be yours of mine's choice but we all like what we like. They would look lovely hung collectively at different levels in a different position as you suggested There are ceiling, range hood and under bench task lights already installed. Love those mirrored subway tiles cloudpants,

• AnneM
    Hi everyone! I really appreciate all your ideas, comments, etc. and there’s no right or wrong or bad ideas and good ideas. I am taking all your suggestions on board but end of the day, I do have to choose one that best suits my kitchen. You’re right on the money there though, Siriuskey. The house is a recent purchase which I’m trying to put a personal touch in hence, the empty house and no other photos to show you. So the kitchen cupboards/cabinetry, benchtops, splashback were already like that when we bought the house. Originally, the whole house was very dark (still is a bit) with purplish light grey and dark grey walls and only three halogen lights to light up the whole kitchen, dining & living area. The whole open plan area is about 9 x 6m. All the downlights & pendants have recently been put in for much brighter evenings in the house as well as a new repaint of the ceilings and walls to much lighter colours—vivid white ceilings, white walls (with a tinge of blueish grey) & a darker shade on feature walls. The house itself is only 2.5 years old with modern features & fittings except for the overall dark colour scheme that came with it. It really doesn’t need much reno being fairly new still but we just find the house too dark and unwelcoming for our liking and so, need to have it lightened and brightened up. Not much left to splurge on reno so, just going for a splashback change to help brighten up the kitchen. Fridge is stainless. Bar stools are white, dining table is glass with black chairs, and the rest of our living area furniture (chaise lounge, chairs) is white. A set of paintings in the colours of the pendant lights to hang on living area wall adjacent to the glass doors (that open out to the deck). The glass doors are directly opposite the kitchen splashback. And here’s something enough to just do someone’s head in, lounge cushions are red, for added colour & accent to the black & white (& grey) colour scheme. Rugs...still undecided about the colour or design, for that matter. But will maybe open another discussion for that later. Need to get my kitchen splashback sorted first. Thanks again for your comments!
  • AnneM
    Thanks cloudpants for the photos. I like the very first one. Would really prefer a glass splashback to tiles though. Hopefully, my kitchen renovator’s got samples of that design or something similar. Will try out different splashback as per your suggestions: white glass, marbled white glass, mirrored, silver tiles, etc. and see which one will look best. Thanks so much everyone!
  • julie herbert
    Sounds absolutely beautiful Anne, I love your pendants and I think a white splashback will look stunning, sounds like you will have a beautiful home with the colours you have chosen, do hope you will post some photos.
  • dreamer
    AnneM, great suggestions by everyone, but I really think that your pendants and artwork should be on show, and not competing with any other shiny dark surface. I am sticking with my original suggestion. Clear glass, pure white splash back. The white glass splash back will naturally reflect light as well. As Siriusky mentioned the range hood can be removed and one piece be laid onto wall, then the range hood replaced. Best of luck in making the your Home your own.
  • me me
    Definitely a white splashback. Glass, or perhaps tiles.

This might give you an idea of a white glass splash back, Mirror would be more like looking through a window

And mirror but with some reflection, either way the wall behind the range hood could be painted the same as the other white walls, and if you use glass I think you can have it painted to match your walls

• AnneM
    Thanks, Julie. I really do hope that after all the worrying and running around getting our minimal house reno right the first time that everything falls in the right place and look good (or great!) in the end. And hope I do remember to post some post-reno pics after all this. Dreamer, thanks for your feedback. We’re on the same page with regards to the pendants and the artwork. The artwork is the first thing on show as soon as one enters the door then, as they make their way to the living area, they’ll walk past the pendant lights in the kitchen so, same eye candy at opposite ends of the room. I try tying them all in throughout somehow except for the splashback which is completely the odd one out. So, really just need to get the splashback right.
  • AnneM
    Thanks, Siriuskey for the photos. Can’t wait to get my kitchen renovators in next week! Exciting but equally worrying. Fingers crossed! Thank you everyone, very helpful suggestions indeed.
  • dreamer
    This is a photo of a white glass splash back, with a twist. But it shows how reflective it would be, without being a mirror. The other photo is a smaller white splash back, but shows the same reflection.
  • AnneM
    Dreamer, yes, the white glass splashback can be quite reflective, too. Appreciate your input. Thanks!
  • alex_vellere
    A Smokey glass splashback could be quite nice...
  • smd1706
    Paint the tiles.....saves costs....use the savings to change the top of the island....I believe this is the area that needs to be lightened up the most especially with dark moody pendants the space will always be a little off if you keep it as is regardless of changing splash back .....white splash back White Island and your feature lights will bring a balanced pop to your space....just an observers opinion;)
  • Tilly
    No offence taken Siriuskey. As you say we all are just trying to help.