What colors to add to my living room with a gray sofa ?

Polly D
December 8, 2018

Hi All,

I ve been hunting for the perfect wall art for my living room, but cant find any that fits all, the size of the sofa , the colors I love and in the price i want.

Am now thinking of adding some tribal wall baskets and a display shelf on one wall, length of the sofa is 300 cms, and some wall hanging/mirror on another wall. Questions :-

1. I like pink , teal, aqua and mustard. What colors I can pick so it suits the gray sofa, adds color and not look too.messy ?

2. Do we get these wall baskets in Australia? I saw these on etsy but they are all.in the US.

3. Or should I just add neutral baskets and add color by cusions and throws ?

Appreciate all your help.

Thanks.

pallavi_dhar's ideas · More Info
pallavi_dhar's ideas · More Info
pallavi_dhar's ideas · More Info
pallavi_dhar's ideas · More Info

• julie herbert
    Hi Polly,
    You could go a row of framed prints on a floating shelf above sofa for a lovely look but if you want a real wow factor, try a collection of African baskets , a beautiful wall hanging and some fab cushions and throw, could look stunning on your gorgeous sofa.
  • Polly D
    Thanks Julie. Loved ur ideas. Even I love the tribal baskets but cant seem to find them in australia. Do you think I should go for neutrals ? I want to add some color to the living room. Got a few accessories I want to display on the shelves too.

I ve liked a few paintings, but all originals are way too expensive. The prints dont look as good to me.

How many color cushions I should pick that suit the sofa and not look messy ?
  • me me
    It really depends on your personal taste. I like some colour, but I know people who really love neutrals.
  • julie herbert
    Hi Polly,
    I love neutrals but you could add a splash of your favourite colour in cushions or a throw, look at some of the boho cushions, African baskets, on EBay, black and neutral would work with your grey couch, you could even find some woven patterned placemats to add and .blend with a beautiful basket
  • julie herbert
    Or something as simple and stylish as this.. gorgeous
  • Polly D
    Hi Julie . I love neutrals too, but just need a pop of color as mine is an open plan living and everything would look gray, black and white otherwise.

I can add neutral baskets, a wall shelf and a colorful wall hanging / painting. Just hunting for some locally available stuff. :)
  • julie herbert
    Sounds lovely Polly.
  • Polly D

Some of the colors I think might look nice. Can choose 2 or max 3. Its a modular sofa 3x3 metres

pallavi_dhar's ideas · More Info
  • cloudpants

Here are some pics which may give ideas about using a combination of neutrals and pops of colour with your grey couch...

You could pick a favorite colour for cushions just using different fabrics

• Jan Dobson
    Polly, I’m not sure where this will fit re your budget, but when I saw your post and colour preferences I couldn’t help but think of Raelene Williams’ work. Sometimes too, one statement piece may work out to be more affordable than several separate items. Team with a throw and one or two cushions in a complimentary colour, and you’re done. Loved cloudpants suggestion too btw. You’ve got a good eye, so it will be lovely whatever you choose. Don’t forget to post the progress and after photos :)
  • Jan Dobson
    ... And of course, I didn’t quite finish my post or attach the second photo :/. I was going to add, there are several other artists who, while perhaps less well know, use a similar palette and might be an option. The first photo is Rosemary Petyarre for example
  • Polly D
    Thanks Jan. Loved the paintings, but they are quite small. Like I said, my sofa is 300 cms long and even if I distribute it in half, I d need atleast something that covers a 100 cms. The big paintings are outside my budget as of now.
  • me me
    The bargain shops often have large canvases for a low cost. I havd lots of nice pictures.
  • dreamer
    I think cloudpants photo suggestion of painting frames, different colours, is a wonderful inexpensive way to add colour. I have found these websites for genuine African weave baskets in Australia. You can source beautiful bright paintings, 1000 x 1000, or larger, from furniture display shops for under $500. Also Zanui, WallArtPrints and temple and Webster have great art. Or visit your local op shop, buy frames for less than $10 each, and make a wonderful frame art display.
  • Polly D
    Thanks me me. Can you share some of your collection and the sources?

Dreamer - I ve checked all online shops and most of the original art is expensive. I am unsure if the prints would looks as attractive. I ve seen some in the shops and didn quite like them. I am hence considering baskets, shelves and wall hangings.

Appreciate all your inputs.
  • julie herbert
    Polly, check Artwork on EBay, lots of good art at moment at very reasonable prices.
  • Polly D

How do you like these two ? The painting is my absolute fav but original.is full of textures and is quite expensive. The print is quite mediocre. Just adds color, thats all.

• dreamer
    Hi Polly, this is a painting on Zanui website. When you say expensive, what is your total budget for your wall. If you buy baskets, for genuine baskets around $30-80 each, plus shelving, wall hanging and wall mounts. Your decision on what is best for you, will be led by your budget. We have a shop in WA called Living Emporium, they have excellent range of paintings and general wall art/hangings, also another called Thingz. Im sorry, I do not know which part of Australia you are in.
  • Polly D
    Thanks dreamer. I am.in Melbourne. Do you have a website and do u deliver to Melbourne?

I dont want to buy an original for 2k. Prints are usually a few hundred bucks but for my wall, I wanted to go for one big painting originally. Thanks.

Would you try what was done in the past with Marimekko Fabric stretched on to a frame, they look great and are very affordable

https://www.marimekko.com/au_en/fabrics/cotton-fabrics-1

• dreamer
    Hi Polly, Zanui, https://www.zanui.com.au, have a great range of paintings as per previous post. I have looked into Living Emporium, and Thingz, but they appear to not deliver outside of WA. Sorry.
  • julie herbert
    Polly there is one in Williamstown on EBay you might like under ‘Artwork’ starting auction at $1.00 nice colours for your room.
  • cloudpants

I (&friends) have purchased amazing, large, original Aboriginal artworks at very reasonable prices from this gallery in Darwin. (Photos are from my recent trip there). They will post for a very good price. Stretching the canvas on wood cost under $200 for one of the larger pieces.

https://readbackaboriginalart.com/

• Polly D
    Loved it. Checking the website now.
  • cloudpants

This big one was $280. Postage to Perth $30. Stretching on canvas $130.

• KK1000
    Villeroy and Boch have nice colourful vases and lots of shapes .
  • julie herbert
    Hi Polly,
    Found these on EBay , very reasonable and in Melbourne under Artwork, lots of lovely ideas from everyone for you.
  • Tilly
    Pretty cool cloudpants.
    The Wild Heart Collective Australia

Hi Polly - we have a number of gorgeous triptychs that may be just what you're looking for! Azure Bay, K'Gari (Fraser Island) and The Daintree would look stunning! To suit your 300 cm long sofa, I would recommend art that is approximately 75-85% of that total 300cm width you're working with. Each triptych in our collection features 3 pieces of art that were designed to be together! In your specific case, I would recommend our 30x50 inch size. Each of the 3 artworks measures 30 inches (76.2cm's wide) by 50 inches (127cm's tall) - therefore, the 3 pieces in total would measure 228.6 cm's wide. In addition, allowing for some negative space in between each artwork, you will find that these stunning pieces would fit your space beautifully, bringing balance, beauty and gorgeous colour into your world. We are happy to offer a 'virtual proof' of this artwork in your space so you can see how it will look on your wall prior to order - simply send us an email with a photo of your lounge with the wall behind and we will work our magic for you :). Our triptych's are available as classic canvases, professionally framed fine art prints and boxed framed canvases, all delivered within Australia. We're also proud to offer 10% off all purchases over $150.00 to all Houzzers ... simply enter code HOUZZ at checkout. Please don't hesitate to contact me via the website www.thewildheartcollective.com or via email nik@thewildheartcollective.com if you require further assistance - we would love to be a part of your wild heart :).

Here is our Triptych - Azure Bay :)

https://thewildheartcollective.com/collections/triptych-family-art-collection-set-of-3-matching-artworks/products/azure-bay-triptych-3-artworks?variant=18436007854169

The Wild Heart Collective Australia

Here is Azure Bay for you :)

Collections · More Info

• Jason Treanor
    Hi Polly,

The Teal, Pink, Mustard combo is lovely

1. From your cushion selection I suggest removing the black and the white and sticking with the coloured ones.

2. Have you thought about painting your own baskets? That way you can get the colours you want. You can choose different sizes and save $$.
  • Kerry Ann
    Hi Polly
    You’re photo of the grey sofa and cushions reminded me of my daughter’s living room that we dressed ready for sale. Being a block grey colour her sofa definitely needed some bright colours and pattern. She already owned a colourful print and I chose some coordinating colours and bought new cushions - all from Pottery Barn, which is now in Australia.

We also painted the brick fireplace a very soft green grey, which made the timber mantle stand out adding some much needed warmth to the room. The mantle and fireplace helped give the room some “depth” and texture - ie not everything was a flat surface.

It helps to stand back and ask what does the room need, and then go searching for different ways to achieve it. It is incredibly frustrating when we can’t buy the range of items in Australia we see in other countries without paying a small fortune!