Houzz Logo Print
webuser_842877566

Desperate for advice on plants & landscaping for our brand new garden

Jo Hamblyn
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Green thumbs! :) I'm hoping the community here can help us with ideas to finish our back and side yard of our new house! I love gardening and am willing to put the effort into basic principles of gardening but only have experience growing in pots so I'm somewhat clueless on how to get started. We live in Qld so dry and hot and our block gets sun most of the day, but we're not on water restrictions. We want to improve /cover the appearance of the fence and plant out the garden bed which runs the entire perametre of the rear yard for both privacy and to maintain our little view to the rear RHS, I like tropical and neater gardens but would avoid the upkeep of hedges or really delicate plants. We envision big pavers through the grass along the house line from the patio to our master bedroom which faces the backyard (we have a glass slider opening onto the grass currently) and would love a pool (dreams) but would settle for a sunbathing area and an outdoor shower.
Can you please help us? All advice from best fertilizer to use, and times to plant, to how to transform the yard etc etc would be so appreciated. A note; we'd prefer to do most work ourselves or on the cheap as we're first home buyers and budgeting ;) but all ideas welcome!!

Comments (12)